Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Aerosoft US Cities San Francisco and others import to P3Dv4 without issues?

It seems as of yet there is not a p3dv4 installer for many of Aerosoft's products.. i have a bunch of US Cities X sceneries i'd like to test in p3dv4, but i'm worried about breaking things.

Has anyone managed to get any of them working without breaking the sim?

Whats the best way to test these with minimal pain?  I know many of the installers for addons often through files in the p3dv4 folder.. i'd like to avoid doing this for v3 things... 

Given this.. i guess estonia migrator tool is out here?  Is the next best thing to simply point to the scenery folder (or move it to the new p3dv4 path or another path) and update either scenery.cfg or as i think i saw mentioned, add-on.xml instead (or both) .. confused on the add-on.xml part.

Any experiences so far, either specific to aerosoft or other v3 sceneries?

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I've tried Los Angeles with no noted issues.  I didn't have any problems on my rig (i7-4770K, GTX1080), but they might be a little tougher than usual on the frames.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I've tried Los Angeles with no noted issues.  I didn't have any problems on my rig (i7-4770K, GTX1080), but they might be a little tougher than usual on the frames.

Best wishes.

Did you just manually copy the files or did you use Estonia migrator and did you use the sceneryconfig or the add-on xml

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

There a some products which will install to V4. And, yes you can use the Estonia Tool to point the installer to; however, this tool is no magic tool. It simply points the installer to find V-4.

Having said this, keep in mind that products which are not V-4 native may or may not work in P3D-V4. Why? Because V-4 is a totally different animal (well, sim). The reason to say this is because some have the misconception that the Estonia Tool will somehow make the next sim 100% compatible- no it does not work like this.

And, others go as far as telling people: "OMG, that tool is Satan in person, don't ever touch it.. it will destroy your sim and turn your skin purple." Well, WRONG!  Yes, it works, but only to point the installer. Therefore, my best advice is that you try (and test) one by one.. Read my words... Try one by one!

US Cities SFO does work in P3D v4. (So does Reality Sim SEA and DDesigns NYCX) Only issue I have is that SFO's cityscape has no lights (ie the buildings are dark at night).

The way I installed was using the xml tool downloadable on AVSIM and had it install to my P3D v4 xml file. It's in the LORBY SI freeware section.

As for the migration tool, it is possible it can do harm, but I have not had issues. Make sure you read before you click OK while the program is running. But with the addon organizer, you shouldn't need to do the migration tool if you already have the scenery installed.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

1 hour ago, theskyisthelimit said:

did you use Estonia migrator

Never, (repeated for heavy emphasis) NEVER would I EVER use this tool.  I highly recommend you avoid it as well. A search of the AVSIM forums will give you plenty of reasons to avoid this tool. I'm not bashing the developer, I worked on it with him early on, on a few things for using this tool, and he created it out of the goodness of his heart and desire to help the community. But it has caused more problems for people than I can count, and I've had correct too many of them for people.

I manually added the scenery that I installed to a default location.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Never, (repeated for heavy emphasis) NEVER would I EVER use this tool.  I highly recommend you avoid it as well. A search of the AVSIM forums will give you plenty of reasons to avoid this tool. I'm not bashing the developer, I worked on it with him early on, on a few things for using this tool, and he created it out of the goodness of his heart and desire to help the community. But it has caused more problems for people than I can count, and I've had correct too many of them for people.

I manually added the scenery that I installed to a default location.

I was trying to avoid the estonia tool this go round if possible.. I dont want anything p3dv3 installing files into the v4 folder structure by brute force if its not meant to.  I used it with p3dv3 without any "known" issues, but starting clean now and with 64 bit, i'd rather not open up a can of worms here.

Ill have to take a look at the addon tool, mentioned previously.. havent looked at that..

I was indeed figuring i'd either move or leave the old p3dv3 aerosoft folders as is.. then point addon xml or scenery.cfg to them  (i think the addon xml is favored for the future and ease of reinstall later)..

My only curiosity is that if you just point it to the main folder, then many effects and other features of the scenery arent going to be put in the p3dv4 tree structure (obviously) and maybe thats ok.. just mostly static scenery which is fine, not sure what would be "disabled" by not having those files.. depends on the addon i guess (in general).

Just install to a dummy folder, or if the installer mandates the presents of FSX.exe or Prepar3d.exe you can install to FSX or P3DV3 (which you said you already have) and then you can locate the Effects and files in Scenery\World\Scenery, Scenery\Gloabl\Scenery, Scenery\World\Texture and Scenery\Global\Texture easily enough.

No sense in redesigning the wheel, you'll find instructions for all the above in both the P3DV4 Addon Organizer manual and forums.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

I've made good progress on customizing my location for installs.. and setting up the xml files as well.

US Cities San fran i think worked out ok.. however.. us cities los angeles i cant get working no matter what i do..

Has anyone had any success with this one?