Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Beechcraft Baron 58 is gonna kill me - on Mt. Blanc !

Hi Geof,Interesting shot. Were you IFR on that flight, and if so, I'm wondering if you reported the climb rate. I did on a C172SP flight from KBJC to KCOS here in CO, where the MEA is 13,000' from memory, although we filed and got 11,000' that as I recall met the MOCA. Anyway- I called at 10,000' on the climb and reported a climb rate less than 500fpm, and the controller was very amused- both at the climb rate (lack of) and why I would want to tell him. (Back then I knew the relevant FAR and told him).Thanks for this great shot!Bruce.

No I wasn't ifr-I cancelled before getting to the back of the Tetons knowing I was going to have to jockey up and down to get over them.Speaking of regs no one seems to know-ask for a gps notams next time you get your briefing for a /g flight. I found the aim actually requires this-when I tried it though with my FSS it confused all the briefers-required a supervisor who also didn't know what it meant! After a 1/2 hour of looking up things-they did find them...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest lemonadedrinker

>>P.S. There is no carb heat on the Baron-it is fuel injectedIt is very very lucky I'm not a real world pilot!!! There may well be no carb heat on the Baron but surely there are little hot water bottles for the injectors.Andy.

Now that I've installed the TC Baron, do I still manage the fuel mixture the same way as with a regular prop or differently ? Great thread this has turned into!JS

Views may differ, but for a normally aspirated you can leave the throttle wide open for the climb, and lean as you go. For the turbo, once the take-off is over set manifold pressure to the top of the green arc. Again lean as you climb. Not sure about the exact prop rpm. You may need to increase throttle settings to maintain manifold pressure as you climb.Cruise at 30" MP, lean to best power or best economy, and reduce rpm towards bottom of the greenFor the descent you need to avoid shock cooling the engine - reduce power gradually on descentregards,Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Yes, I've tried the GPS notams, although I must have been lucky- actually it impressed m DE on my IR ride! :)I have however requested a full GPS approach and named the IAF that I wish to use and had ATC ask me where it is.... the most notable in this region being BEJCO on the GPS 35R approach to KAPA.Bruce.