Sign in to follow this  
ScotFlieger

Operations Centre - Lack of Update Progress Info

Using the PMDG Operations Centre users are presented with notifications of updates being available. If you select 'Install Update', the black banner 'Download Complete' appears within a few seconds with the message that the "Product is being updated - This message with clear when the update is completed". Then it just sits there seemingly doing nothing for hours. There is no progress bar or estimate of how long the update should (normal practice).

What should the user do? Surely the Download is not complete despite the banner saying no. What is the Operations Centre actually doing? Is it continuing to download the update or is it stalled 'installing' the update. How big is the update? Remember no everyone is blessed with superfast internet speeds. Can PMDG not do something to improve the progress information?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

48 minutes ago, ScotFlieger said:

How big is the update? Remember no everyone is blessed with superfast internet speeds.

It's likely that your anti-virus program is interfering. Can you reach our site if you browse to it?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, I have full access to the PMDG and other websites. I read that others are manually deleted and downloading the update afresh. This is not what the Ops Centre advises. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

3 hours ago, ScotFlieger said:

Yes, I have full access to the PMDG and other websites. I read that others are manually deleted and downloading the update afresh. This is not what the Ops Centre advises. 

A notepad window opens when you start the update telling you to redownload the full installer. 

The "install complete" message does not clear until you close the notepad window. The OC waits for the window to close! 

14 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

A notepad window opens when you start the update telling you to redownload the full installer. 

Ditto, as I discovered too, when I spotted the flag in the gear icon on the OC.

Then, as per that notepad, went to my account and re-downloaded all the installers afresh. Then using Windows Add/Remove,as directed by RSR, uninstalled all previous versions. What could be simpler than that?

BUT there is nothing to point you to the notepad page. The notepad disappeared under other pages on my desktop and I left the Ops Centre running expecting it to do something. 

A cheap and nasty implementation. More information in the Ops Centre window is required if PMDG continue to rely on a full uninstall/reinstall. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

10 hours ago, ScotFlieger said:

BUT there is nothing to point you to the notepad page. The notepad disappeared under other pages on my desktop and I left the Ops Centre running expecting it to do something. 

A cheap and nasty implementation. More information in the Ops Centre window is required if PMDG continue to rely on a full uninstall/reinstall. 

I'm still failing to see how this is in any way PMDGs fault. If you have too many windows open on 3 monitors that you can't even see a notepad popup, then I recommend you slow down and do one thing at a time. Not to mention the fact that the notepad will flash down the bottom on the taskbar. This is less about PMDGs method, and more about your inability to multitask I'm afraid. Remember, PMDG cannot control what you're doing on your PC. Hence why installers recommend you close all other windows programs before installing, but I guess you're ignoring that and seeing the repercussions of doing so.

• Upvote 1