Sign in to follow this  
ThreeGreens

777 Surround Sound Thanks + Bing Bar

I should have posted earlier...

The 5.1 sound installer wasnt working in the earlier releases of the 777 for V4.

Raised a ticket.

Got a response saying it would be fixed when a new installer is released.

New installer released.

Fixed.

oh and no Microsoft, for the 47th time I do not want the Bing bar, I would not like it on a boat, I would not like it with a goat...

Thanks

PMDG

Boeing777_Banner_pilot.jpg

Scott Stephens

35 minutes ago, ThreeGreens said:

oh and no Microsoft, for the 47th time I do not want the Bing bar, I would not like it on a boat, I would not like it with a goat...

+1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Wait a minute, there's a 5.1 surround sound option for the 777? Where can I get it?

Molly Norris

2 minutes ago, molleh said:

Wait a minute, there's a 5.1 surround sound option for the 777? Where can I get it?

Molly Norris

+1000

ZORAN

6 minutes ago, molleh said:

Molly Norris

Have a look in the Ops centre

16 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Have a look in the Ops centre

Got it, great timing just bought a steel series 7.1 headset :-}

ZORAN

18 minutes ago, Venturi said:

Got it, great timing just bought a steel series 7.1 headset :-}

I think the 5.1 sound option only works with true 5.1 speakers, I don't think it works with headsets unless they are a true 7.1 headset (which very few actually are).

Edit: Just looked it up. You'd need a USB amplifier/sound card or digital optical (or speakers with the individual 3.5mm connections) to output 5.1 audio. 3.5mm analogue audio jacks can't output 5.1 audio, only stereo. So any headphones that claim to be 5.1 (or 7.1) that connect via 3.5mm aren't supporting true 5.1 audio.

6 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

I think the 5.1 sound option only works with true 5.1 speakers, I don't think it works with headsets unless they are a true 7.1 headset (which very few actually are).

Edit: Just looked it up. You'd need a USB amplifier/sound card or digital optical (or speakers with the individual 3.5mm connections) to output 5.1 audio. 3.5mm analogue audio jacks can't output 5.1 audio, only stereo. So any headphones that claim to be 5.1 (or 7.1) that connect via 3.5mm aren't supporting true 5.1 audio.

Thanks for that. Im about to test it now and will look into the options you provided

ZORAN

5 minutes ago, molleh said:

Is there one for the 747 and NGX as well?

If it's not in the ops centre then no

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PMDG777 said:

Im a bit confused here. When I look up external sound cards and go to google images they all only have 3.5mm audio jacks and my headset is  USB. Excuse my ignorance but I know bugger all about sound cards

ZORAN

34 minutes ago, Venturi said:

Im a bit confused here. When I look up external sound cards and go to google images they all only have 3.5mm audio jacks and my headset is  USB. Excuse my ignorance but I know bugger all about sound cards

You get soundcards with a variety of connections. Standard stereo ones will just have 1x 3.5mm jack. The true 5.1 surround sound ones will have at least 3x 3.5mm jacks, or USB, or HDMI, or digital optical or some combo of that.

Basically, a standard single 3.5mm headphone jack can't output anything more than stereo. If your headset is USB it might support 5.1 I'm not sure it depends on the headphones I think. The headphones that claim they're 5.1/7.1 surround sound but only have a single headphone jack are "fake" surround sound. They use drivers to create a surround sound impression, but they're just using a stereo signal to do so, it's not true surround sound (which is what the PMDG 5.1 sound pack is).

If you have a look at this external soundcard, you'll see it's USB or optical to the computer and has a 3.5mm jack for out headphones (stereo) but also has 2x RCA (the red and white connectors) plus 2x 3.5mm jacks for surround sound. The 2x RCA will give you front, one 3.5mm will give you left/right rear, and one 3.5mm will give center & subwoofer. Each 3.5mm jack can only send 2 different streams of sound (the RCA's only give mono or one stream).

Basically, if you want true surround sound headphones, they have to be USB or have 3x 3.5mm cables. For your headphones, they are USB so they may support true 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound, but it will depend on the actual headphones, chances are it will be virtual ("fake") surround sound.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

You get soundcards with a variety of connections. Standard stereo ones will just have 1x 3.5mm jack. The true 5.1 surround sound ones will have at least 3x 3.5mm jacks, or USB, or HDMI, or digital optical or some combo of that.

Basically, a standard single 3.5mm headphone jack can't output anything more than stereo. If your headset is USB it might support 5.1 I'm not sure it depends on the headphones I think. The headphones that claim they're 5.1/7.1 surround sound but only have a single headphone jack are "fake" surround sound. They use drivers to create a surround sound impression, but they're just using a stereo signal to do so, it's not true surround sound (which is what the PMDG 5.1 sound pack is).

If you have a look at this external soundcard, you'll see it's USB or optical to the computer and has a 3.5mm jack for out headphones (stereo) but also has 2x RCA (the red and white connectors) plus 2x 3.5mm jacks for surround sound. The 2x RCA will give you front, one 3.5mm will give you left/right rear, and one 3.5mm will give center & subwoofer. Each 3.5mm jack can only send 2 different streams of sound (the RCA's only give mono or one stream).

Basically, if you want true surround sound headphones, they have to be USB or have 3x 3.5mm cables. For your headphones, they are USB so they may support true 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound, but it will depend on the actual headphones, chances are it will be virtual ("fake") surround sound.

Now that you mention it when I was researching headsets they pretty much all sub $150 WERE "FAKE" surround. headset is steel series artic 5 and your right they are fake surround. Oh well never heard the 777 in surround sound so I wont know what I'm missing .Thanks again for your detailed response.

ZORAN

1 minute ago, Venturi said:

Now that you mention it when I was researching headsets they pretty much all sub $150 WERE "FAKE" surround. headset is steel series artic 5 and your right they are fake surround. Oh well never heard the 777 in surround sound so I wont know what I'm missing .Thanks again for your detailed response.

Yeah "real" 5.1 surround headsets are pretty rare and normally very expensive. No problem glad I could help!