Sign in to follow this  
branks737

Big FPS Drop when turning on internal cockpit lights

I've made another thread recently about FPS drop whilst undocking displays or the CDU, now I've noticed something else strange on the 737NGX  v1.20.8396 on P3Dv4 (hotfix 1). I installed this new version after completely uninstalling the previous version.

The problem I am seeing is that I get a massive FPS drop when activating any of the internal cockpit lights, ie the main panel lights, dome white, panel bright knob, emergency exit light etc. Now this occurs whether I have dynamic lighting ON or OFF. I checked my CPU and GPU usage and the GPU was running between 30-50% and all the CPU cores were not maxed out so it does not appear to be a hardware problem.

The weird thing is that once I stop clicking or turning the internal lights, the FPS goes back to normal, which in my case is 30fps, which is what my refresh rate is.

Only a week ago I had the NGX running on P3DV3 with no issues.

Testing was done at stock airport with no other addons apart from FreemeshX.

My computer specs are
I7 6700k OC 4.7ghz
Geforece GTX 1080 G1
DDR4 16gb 3200mhz
Samsung EVO SSD
Acer 4k 28" monitor

P3DV4 settings are moderate to high, Vsync on and unlimited frames. I need vsync on and unlimted frames, otherwise its a stutter fest. Also of note I have the AA set to 4 X MSAA which is not taxing on my system.

I made a support ticket, however I'm curious to see if anyone else is getting this issue?

1 minute ago, branks737 said:

I've made another thread recently about FPS drop whilst undocking displays or the CDU, now I've noticed something else strange on the 737NGX  v1.20.8396 on P3Dv4 (hotfix 1). I installed this new version after completely uninstalling the previous version.

The problem I am seeing is that I get a massive FPS drop when activating any of the internal cockpit lights, ie the main panel lights, dome white, panel bright knob, emergency exit light etc. Now this occurs whether I have dynamic lighting ON or OFF. I checked my CPU and GPU usage and the GPU was running between 30-50% and all the CPU cores were not maxed out so it does not appear to be a hardware problem.

The weird thing is that once I stop clicking or turning the internal lights, the FPS goes back to normal, which in my case is 30fps, which is what my refresh rate is.

Only a week ago I had the NGX running on P3DV3 with no issues.

Testing was done at stock airport with no other addons apart from FreemeshX.

My computer specs are
I7 6700k OC 4.7ghz
Geforece GTX 1080 G1
DDR4 16gb 3200mhz
Samsung EVO SSD
Acer 4k 28" monitor

P3DV4 settings are moderate to high, Vsync on and unlimited frames. I need vsync on and unlimted frames, otherwise its a stutter fest.

I made a support ticket, however I'm curious to see if anyone else is getting this issue?

Yeah I likewise get that and have done since FSX. It only happens while you're changing the brightness of the main panel flood lights.

4 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Yeah I likewise get that and have done since FSX. It only happens while you're changing the brightness of the main panel flood lights.

Strange I get it for any internal cockpit lights. I never had this occur to me in P3DV3, so this is a completely new issue for me.

Either undocking panels or any lights in FSX/P3D is going to increase video processing, there just isn't any way around it. Believe it or not, many people find that lighting (external or internal) is often the worst of the two.

You can play with your graphics settings for both your video card and in FSX/P3D, though of course the benefit from doing so is going to be dependent on the system you are running.  FSX/P3D users often run on less than optimal graphics settings for their system (as an example I've already seen numerous posts and Youtube videos for P3DV4 where people recommended using SSGA instead of MSAA - it will work, but it's probably not optimized), so fine tuning your settings as best as you can using either NVIDIA Inspector (or equivalent for AMD cards) or the graphics card control panel to optimize your settings as well optimzing them for your system in FSX/P3D is going to provide you with as much help as you're going to get - at least without upgrading your hardware.

Running P3DV4 on an i7-4770K and a GTX 1080 I can say that not much brings my frame rates down.  I'm also helped by using a 4K TV which means that I won't be bogged down by Anti-Aliasing hardly at all (a setting at MSAA x2 is all I need for superior detail and it looks the same on my live stream as it does my 55 inch 4K).

Specific advice is hard to come by as it really should be tailored to one's system, so trial and error is the best advice I can provide.  Rob Aincough is absolutely the best person I know when it comes to video setting (and many other things - but of course I'm saying this because I owe him money... lol).

Best of luck to you my friends.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

20 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Either undocking panels or any lights in FSX/P3D is going to increase video processing, there just isn't any way around it. Believe it or not, many people find that lighting (external or internal) is often the worst of the two.

You can play with your graphics settings for both your video card and in FSX/P3D, though of course the benefit from doing so is going to be dependent on the system you are running.  FSX/P3D users often run on less than optimal graphics settings for their system (as an example I've already seen numerous posts and Youtube videos for P3DV4 where people recommended using SSGA instead of MSAA - it will work, but it's probably not optimized), so fine tuning your settings as best as you can using either NVIDIA Inspector (or equivalent for AMD cards) or the graphics card control panel to optimize your settings as well optimzing them for your system in FSX/P3D is going to provide you with as much help as you're going to get - at least without upgrading your hardware.

Running P3DV4 on an i7-4770K and a GTX 1080 I can say that not much brings my frame rates down.  I'm also helped by using a 4K TV which means that I won't be bogged down by Anti-Aliasing hardly at all (a setting at MSAA x2 is all I need for superior detail and it looks the same on my live stream as it does my 55 inch 4K).

Specific advice is hard to come by as it really should be tailored to one's system, so trial and error is the best advice I can provide.  Rob Aincough is absolutely the best person I know when it comes to video setting (and many other things - but of course I'm saying this because I owe him money... lol).

Best of luck to you my friends.

Thanks for your response Dave. I just don't see this to be a hardware issue as my GPU usage was at 50% and all CPU cores were not maxing far from it. 

Like I said a week ago the ngx on my p3dv3 was working fine, no FPS drop with lights or undocking displays. So for some reason I'm getting bad performance with the ngx in P3Dv4 which I was not getting in P3dv3 with the same addons and similar settings.

Ok just an update. I mucked around with settings and I got the same result. I took off AA, put all settings in p3d v4 to low, put texture Res to 1024, HDR off, dynamic light off, special effects low, basically everything to low settings (the sim looked terrible by the way) and still I get the same FPS drop as described above. So this has nothing to do with my settings or hardware.

Oh yeah I also rolled back the Nvidia drivers from the latest to a previous stable version for me. 

I tell you what flightsimming is one of the most frustrating hobbies I've ever done. I feel like I'm forever tweaking, installing, uninstalling, changing this setting and that setting, buying new hardware to build some sort of super computer to run a program that has its origins from over 10 years ago. 

And yet, it does not matter how frustrated I get and want to throw the towel in, I still end up coming back to it lol

Have you tried rebuilding your shaders?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Have you tried rebuilding your shaders?

Yeah Dave I have also deleted all regenerated files. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall P3Dv4. I think I'll step away from flightsimming for a few days, it would be better for my blood pressure

LOL, yeah, I've been there a few times myself!

Dave Hodges