Sign in to follow this  
WhiteKnuckle

Up front on the real deal!

Looking good, Tom!  Pilots do have a fascinating office, and an amazing view.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

An amazing coincidence, when the cabin crew announced the flight crews' names my Indonesian companion said "oh I think I know this man, we went to school together".  So we waited for all the passengers to depart and sure enough it was her friend and he kindly let me sit in his office and took the photo.  😊🙏

Here's a question for you to which I already know the answer, a bit of trivia for you:

why is the tank 2 forward boost pump selected on?

Brian Nellis

46 minutes ago, Copper. said:

why is the tank 2 forward boost pump selected on?

For the APU ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

52 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

For the APU ?

And why would you say that?

Brian Nellis

11 hours ago, Copper. said:

And why would you say that?

Yes or No would suffice. If I had known your quiz was going to be an exam I would not have answered :) You sound like a school teacher lol

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

1 hour ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Yes or No would suffice. If I had known your quiz was going to be an exam I would not have answered :) You sound like a school teacher lol

Hehe that made me chuckle. Answer is of course, yes :)

the casual observer might note that the crosfeed is also open, allowing fuel to be taken from the right hand tanks.

The even more astute observer might note the forward pump is used instead of the aft... why?

• Upvote 2

Brian Nellis

43 minutes ago, Copper. said:

The even more astute observer might note the forward pump is used instead of the aft... why?

Not sure on that one Brian

9 hours ago, Copper. said:

It's the easier one for maint to replace? Maybe? I think one of our guys mentioned something like that at some point.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

This is an after flight condition with most possibly minimum fuel. As the No.2 fwd pump intake is at the lowest point in main tank 2 and no center tank scavenge pump connected to it, it's the most logically pump to use for APU feed.

Johann van Rhyn

8 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

It's the easier one for maint to replace? Maybe? I think one of our guys mentioned something like that at some point.

True. There is less clutter up there on the front spar. The rear has a bunch of things in the way to make replacement a bit harder.

1 hour ago, Johannvr said:

This is an after flight condition with most possibly minimum fuel. As the No.2 fwd pump intake is at the lowest point in main tank 2 and no center tank scavenge pump connected to it, it's the most logically pump to use for APU feed.

Good work! Full marks. Although I wonder if the tank 2 fwd pump pickoff is at the lowest point of the tank and not higher as the manuals suggest?

but yes, that is a great answer. And a very good pick up regarding the centre scavenge. Another good reason to use the forward pump if you can.

Brian Nellis

9 hours ago, Copper. said:

Although I wonder if the tank 2 fwd pump pickoff is at the lowest point of the tank and not higher as the manuals suggest?

Yes, Brian, I think you are correct. My wording was not very clear. If I remember correctly, on the ground, because of the a/c attitude, the fwd pump intake can be a bit lower than the aft relative to the horizon. Thank you for this "trivia" and a great observation and Tom, for sharing this picture.

• Upvote 1

Johann van Rhyn

Interesting dialog, it's been a few years since I've been using the sim and I need to build a new rig soon, a lot of work!

I asked the pilot one question, what was the auto brake set for landing and his reply was 2.