Sign in to follow this  
snglecoil

What's that dinging?

So in preparation for an eventual move to v4, I have been gathering parts for a new build over the past several months. I finally have enough to get the new system up and running and naturally wanted to see if the money spent was worth it. Not going to bore with all the fine details, but i7 7700k, 16gb DDR4, but still using a GTX 770 4GB. Yeah, It will take a while to fund the GTX 1080ti. Ant any rate, even with an older graphics card, v3 is running beautifully with most sliders to the right.

So last night I fired up a flight using ORBX So Cal and set off on a short hop from KTOA to KRAL.  About half way there I start hearing ding...ding...ding. I'm checking CPU temps as I have alarms setup if the temp gets too high. No problems there. I see that my FS Economy client has 2 instances running, maybe that's the issue.

Then it happens..."your computer has run out of available memory"  Ooooooh, so that's what everyone has been talking about. Ha, my old PC wasn't powerful enough to run with settings that would produce an OOM :biggrin: Oh well, guess it is on to v4.

Now the (slightly rhetorical) $800 question is, has v4 moved enough of the graphic load to the GPU that my old GTX 770 will give worse performance than I was seeing in v3? Guess I'll find out.

Chris

The "ding ding" comes from FSUIPC warning you that vas is running low... you get if before the OOM :-)

Ahhh! I remember it well. My very first OOM. It was with FSX on my current build after I had tunned the sim to run almost perfectly smoothly using half refresh rate. I was on approach to FSDT CYVR in FTX PNW with REX Clouds in the NGX. It was spectacular. I thought I had arrived in Sim heaven. Then I heard the NGX make a sound that I hadn't heard before. Ding Ding Ding Ding........ I scanned the flight deck looking for a Red light but nothing. Oh well I better focus on the approach and Bang!!! YOUR SYSTEM HAS RUN OUT OF AVAILABLE MEMORY! Its fun to reminisce about the good old days :biggrin:

Best way to fix is to move to v4.  Second best way is to turn down the LOD Radius to 4.5.  If that does not work you need to dial back other settings and especially uncheck things in ORBX Vector.  Hope this helps.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Put the fsl 320 on.... You'll certainly learn about OOM's 

14ppkc-6.png

Only dings I hear are in my bad dreams. 

Absolute must... move to P3Dv4, it's well worth all the effort. Unfortunately I'm still awaiting some of my favourite aircraft and sceneries to come over.

IM