Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How many "simmers" are Drone enthusiasts?

It will take a tragedy at a major airport before the UK government do anything about the idiots flying drones near airports.

It's only a matter of time, but it will happen sadly.

Building Drones is amusing , educational and a most satisfying way of spending time with ones son , we have done three over the years.

When one orders a " kit " they tend toward the industrial and are about half the cost of the prefabricated designs and permit adding parts to increase range and flying time ,  as an added benefit they are easy to fix , the arms of the platform being what breaks mostly when mistakes get made .

Best CJ

Having fun with a drone does indeed require you to commit to flying it safely by following the rules and regulations associated with the hobby.  Just as real pilots go through checklists and safety concerns before a flight, so must we, as drone pilots do the same.  Flight simmers for the most part are disciplined in flight preparation and safety considerations that lead to a successful flight.  We cannot control those who treat the drone as a "toy'.  I've never used FSX as a "game"; I treat it as a realistic "simulation"...which it was meant to be.  

Drone flyers who treat them as toys....should fly them only in their house.   Responsible flyers can go outside!

Stan

This is kind of what I was alluding to - any uncoordinated word not allowed can "fly" a drone - it will just go where you want it. (DJI lock-down excepted - that's a great pro-active idea by that company!)

I don't want drones banned, but we cannot account for how much stupid is out there. Having said that - I don't want delivery drones buzzing around the skies - but that's another debate ;)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I had a Radian motorized glider and I attached a camera two it.  I took a couple of videos but it finally crashed due to radio interference probably caused by my proximity to Luke AFB which was five miles away.  The glider thermaled to nearly two thousand feet once and once flew about half a mile away before I turned it around.  I had about twenty flights with it lasting 20 minutes or more.  After the crash I quit the hobby because I felt it just wasn't safe in an urban area and there were few places out in the open desert to fly it.  I didn't want to injure someone.  The company that made the glider sent me a free replacement but I sold it to a friend some years later.

Drones are interesting but I see regulations coming which will restrict their use.  They intrude on privacy--no one wants videos of their backyards taken and posted on youtube by a drone pilot.

I also used to attach cameras to kites and would loft them to about five hundred feet or so.  I have some great still pictures I took of my neighborhood ten years ago.  It was all fun but eventually I got bored, you can only take so many pictures before they all look the same.

My most recent aerial videos are of my takeoff and landing of my British Airways flight from London to Phoenix last month.  Those turned out well and I enjoy watching them.

John

7 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

Drones are interesting but I see regulations coming which will restrict their use.  They intrude on privacy--no one wants videos of their backyards taken and posted on youtube by a drone pilot.

I agree and disagree. I agree that no one wants their backyard being filmed up close and personal as this would represent a complete invasion of privacy. However, drone cameras tend to contain wide angle lenses meaning that if you are above 50 meters, your backyard is going to look like a miniature world which in I don't think is really a breach of privacy if someone on the off chance flies over at 40km per hour (unless you live in the Playboy mansion, then that's another story :laugh: ).

Also, no one in their right mind is going to take a picture or video low down focusing on someones backyard and if they do then this would be a completely different matter as would someone casing the place out. That would be a matter for the police. In most countries in Europe, it's illegal to fly over urban areas which also makes it harder for anyone to film your property not that they would. I think the bigger issue is not privacy but more about air safety and idiots spoiling everyone else's fun and stupidly risking peoples lives flying at unsafe altitudes or near airports or indeed near large groups people. Like in all walks of life, there will always be morons doing moronic things but these represent at most 5% of people. 5% is too many I agree. The same can be said for almost anything unfortunately. 

Have been annoyed several times on the beach by these pesky things hovering overhead - would have shot them down if I could!, and with the air safety risk (an airliner in the UK recently diverted due to a drone in the approach) I'd support the strict regulation of them...

Cheers
Keith

On 7/18/2017 at 11:40 AM, Glynn said:

It will take a tragedy at a major airport before the UK government do anything about the idiots flying drones near airports.

It's only a matter of time, but it will happen sadly.

Regrettably I agree with you and as a commercial operator and amateur drone pilot it's obvious what risks drones pose. Airline are making pro-active steps and we're made well aware of the risks drones place, all be it blindingly obvious. There are channels in place to report these incidents immediately after duty.

Unfortunately it's the minor few who ruin it for responsible drone pilots which is why there is this negative stigma associated with drone pilots.

In the UK the CAA are quite clear regarding recreational drone flights and have set rules accordingly in the Air Navigation Order. I feel the drone manufacturers have to be me far more clear regarding these rules when selling to the consumer.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

Until then I fear it will take a mid-air collision or some sort of serious incident for regulation to come into force which would be a great shame for those who respect the rules and regulations. 

For now people must be made aware of the strict rules in place, fly responsibly and you will not get into bother. I own several drones and fly well away from people, built up areas and clear of any controlled airspace and have 3rd party insurance if any think was to happen.

Most people are curious but I have been questioned before. They generally don't believe me when I say I have a license to operate drones and hold a full ATPL.....

Fly safe (drones as well!!)

FD2S.

When I used to fly RC Aircraft back in the 1990's we were regulated. We joined a club that owned property usually out in the country and flew there. The club had insurance and also members could insure their RC Aircraft that they were flying if they wanted to. If one became wayward because the radio went dead and it damaged other property or personal injury their was coverage, but that risk was very low as we flew out in the country at our own club property.

When Drones started to become mainstream I was always surprised by the lack or regulation, mind you RC Aircraft can cause far more damage but some of these drones are starting to get bigger and more powerful as well.

Matthew Kane

Someone at the CAA must've read this post! 

BBC News - UK to bring in drone registration

I personally think this is a great idea and a step in the right direction, allowing sensible users to register and fly responsibly and place significant fines for people who flout the rules.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, spilok said:

Just thought I'd ask:

How many of you simmers are into flying drones?  My Daughters (all grown) know of my love for aviation, and they got me a DGI Phantom 4 last October for my Birthday / Retirement.  It is totally awesome, and you have to patiently download firmware and frequent updates, but the results are truly rewarding in every way. Equipped with a 4K camera, it provides videos that are spectacular....even in your own neighborhood.  I've seen my neighborhood from a totally different perspective, and it's beyond what I thought it looked like.  The Phantom 4 has obstacle avoidance as well, and that is a superb feature.  Technology being what it is, the drone has a nice big RTH button  (return to home), and with the help of usually at least 12 satellites, it does just that.

I have been simming for well over 20 years and visit this forum daily and just wondered how many of you aviation lovers have extended this love to the rising excitement of flying drones. I'd love to hear about your interest in this hobby.

Stan 

Drones are really cool. THey sell them where I work.  The good ones cost at least a grand.  And I think its really great for people who want to do elevated photography or video.  I know that many businesses and especially architects are using them on the job now.  For me, if I were to do an aviation hobby outside of Flight sim it'd hafta be RC airplanes.  I remember back in the 80's when my father used to fly his... MMM the smell of that kerosene and the speed and agility of those things was a great experience! 

Of course, if the weather or regulations conspire against your next drone expedition, as a flightsimmer it would be natural enough to step into

https://www.aeroflyrc.com/

I've been simming for seven years and flying drones for the past three years now. I've had had my CAA permissions for the past two and a half and run my own aerial, film, photography and survey company, Visatworx. The problems are not with responsible commercial operators such as myself, but the dipsticks, and there are many, who arrogantly refuse to follow the law. If interested, here's my showreel... I hope you like....

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Excellent showreel! Superb camera. Mind you, the good weather was a bonus :tongue: Was that your Disco driving across the field?

Here's hoping the dipsticks don't provoke a knee jerk blanket-ban type of reaction from the Govt.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Excellent showreel! Superb camera. Mind you, the good weather was a bonus :tongue: Was that your Disco driving across the field?

Here's hoping the dipsticks don't provoke a knee jerk blanket-ban type of reaction from the Govt.

Cheers Mark :biggrin:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776