Sign in to follow this  
markjj

Prepar3d V4 Crash

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides possible solutions for StackHash errors and NTDLL errors.  The fixes provided are from fellow members here at AVSIM and across the Internet at other FlightSim websites.  The fixes worked for them, including me, so I placed them in the CTD Guide.

It is definitely not the PMDG products causing these types of crashes.  High settings are more likely.  PMDG products have never caused a StackHash or NTDLL error in the life of all of their products.  StackHash and NTDLL errors began to surface soon after Sandy Bridge i7 CPU was released by Intel when CPU's were starting to be overclocked even by the novice computer users.  That was in January 2011.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides possible solutions for StackHash errors and NTDLL errors.  The fixes provided are from fellow members here at AVSIM and across the Internet at other FlightSim websites.  The fixes worked for them, including me, so I placed them in the CTD Guide.

It is definitely not the PMDG products causing these types of crashes.  High settings are more likely.  PMDG products have never caused a StackHash or NTDLL error in the life of all of their products.  StackHash and NTDLL errors began to surface soon after Sandy Bridge i7 CPU was released by Intel when CPU's were starting to be overclocked even by the novice computer users.  That was in January 2011.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the help. However, I am a little bit confused. If it really was the scenery settings being too high (for example) that was causing the stackhash errors, wouldn't that at least by partially reflected in my sim's performance? I consistently achieve FPS  in the high 30-40 range in small cities and mid 20-30 range in large cities/addon airports, leading me to believe (and I could be entirely wrong) that the settings aren't exceeding what my setup is comfortably capable of. Additionally, my CPU load never reaches 100% and seems to maintain relatively consistent levels throughout any session. Finally, x plane and other intensive programs do not give me any issues despite their power hungry nature, and several stress and temp tests have indicated that the overclock is indeed stable. With this in mind, is it still possible that stackhash errors are being caused by high settings or unstable overclocks, despite the evidence suggesting otherwise (perhaps P3D just isn't adequate at utilizing today's technology as well as some other programs)?  I am using a 4930k which is stable at 4.4GHz and running cool with sufficient voltage (again as indicated by numerous stress tests)

Mark Javornik

P3D was never developed to set all of the settings to max (or near max).  Same goes with FSX, its predecessor.  Certainly you will not get a crash all of the time or immediately by having high settings but it will happen, somewhere, sometime and that's not a good way to enjoy flight simulation.  It is horrible, absolutely horrible to have a long flight over 2 hours in length only to see the sim crash at the end.  I get crashes occasionally with my system and it is extremely powerful (see specs in signature).  Most of the time it's caused by a bad overclock.  Stress tests mean absolutely nothing when it comes to FSX and P3D.  I have run several stress tests with my system after an overclock and it runs great for a couple of months and then it crashes.  I get the ntdll error and that means (in FSX/P3D terms) a bad overclock.  Either the CPU voltage is too high or too low.  So I return my system to the optimal default (which is 4.5GHz for my i7 7700K CPU).  Success!  Haven't seen a crash since.  I have been watching my temperatures too.  The CPU is not the only component you need to worry about.  The GPU gets hot too and especially after a long flight.

Go ahead and run P3D at the max or near max.  You are not going to enjoy this game very long.

But that is not the only reason for a StackHash.  Heck, I have had to reinstall Windows to get rid of a StackHash!  And it turned out to be a software addon to P3D.  Turned out I had AI that was being called but no flight plan.  The crash happened at exactly the same spot every time.  Other members here have found that objects being called by an AI program like MyTrafficX were incompatible and threw a StackHash.  This is why the AVSIM CTD Guide suggests you investigate your situation.  Rename your scenery.cfg and conduct the same flight.  Did you have a StackHash or NTDLL error?  If no, then rebuild your P3D.cfg and leave everything at the default (I know it will not look good) and fly the route.  If no crash, then it was something in the P3D.cfg.  It is the only way you are going to be able to resolve this issue as there is no known fix to a StackHash that works for everyone.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10