Sign in to follow this  
DTG_Cryss

DTG Unveiling A New Feature On The July 19th Live Stream

Cold & Dark is a menu option, when checked you start your flight and click on the Checklist on top of the dashboard. When you highlight an item on the checklist, the actual control/switch is highlighted and the camera pans to where the control/switch is. Can be added to 3rd party aircraft too! Update planned for this week.

21 minutes ago, A32xx said:

Cold & Dark is a menu option, when checked you start your flight and click on the Checklist on top of the dashboard. When you highlight an item on the checklist, the actual control/switch is highlighted and the camera pans to where the control/switch is.

Really nice design. Thanks DTG!  :smile:

Looking forward to Cold & Dark starts.  The checklists look awesome as well.  I assume the additional checklists are coming soon as well???

im glad I kept FSW installed while it matures.  It is shaping up nicely.  Keep the updates rolling in DTG!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

I liked the new feature, but I got a little frustrated, I was expecting something bigger. Anyways, DTG keep the good work.

3 hours ago, SamYeager said:

Well looking at the Twitch page it says "Passengers update + Cold & Dark Preview" so it appears that things like weather updates etc. will be at a later date.

Cross post with Longranger

Found this on there twitch page. (https://www.twitch.tv/dovetailgames) Note the text I made bold - I wonder if that could be weather or something else?...

Flight Sim World is an evolving simulation platform that is coming to Early Access in May 2017.

Schedule: Fortnightly 6PM BST

Next Streams:

19th July

26th July (Special)

2nd August

9th August (Pro Mission Editor Special)

Have to say that when people have been critical of DTG and suggested that it's only going to be lightweight add-ons in FSW, the latest feature preview demonstrates that's not at all where DTG are coming from with FSW. It's obvious from the presentation that you guys are serious about making it a serious sim, but all without leaving behind more 'casual' simmers too.

Likewise, when peope have suggested FSW needs a feature which other sims don't have in order to set it apart, this is one which seems to fit that bill. All sims should have been trying to implement this kind of thing years ago, it is exactly the kind of functionality computer simulations can do better than a real cockpit can, so well done for really moving things along with something more than mere eye candy, by enabling this kind of interactivity not only for the default aeroplanes, but with a system which third party developers can use to make their products a bit more professional.

One would hope too that this will push developers to make their choice of complete reliance on PDF manuals for any tutorials a thing of the past, because there is nothing more annoying than having to keep jumping between your sim and a PDF when doing a tutorial for a sim aeroplane which is new to you. It's true that FSX etc can use kneeboards and briefings and such to do this a little bit, but this feature, with the option for specific VC controls being highlighted as you go through a checklist, takes that kind of thing to an entirely more impressive and useful level when it comes to cockpit familiarisation.

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see LM replicating it for P3D, given that they tout P3D as being for training. I can certainly imagine that a tutorial flight in something like a realistic 'hardcore simulation' of an airliner would be a lot more likely to teach correct operations in a pleasing and intuitive manner if it was done using this kind of feature.

Very impressed. :cool:

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

One would hope too that this will push developers to make their choice of complete reliance on PDF manuals for any tutorials a thing of the past, because there is nothing more annoying than having to keep jumping between your sim and a PDF when doing a tutorial for a sim aeroplane which is new to you.

I'm older(AARP older), yet even I am finding it hard to find time in this day and age. It's different than back in the day when I had time to read the manual for Falcon 4.0...Someone help me with my 64 Steam Games, my XBone, my Android Phone, my tablet, my Raspberry Pi, etc, etc...      :blink:

Good point Chock, it goes to show Dovetail are staying true to there word and not just reimporting FSX features back in the game but looking how each feature can be improved for both the casual and hardcore simmer. The cold and dark implementation being a fine example of this.

Yes this was pretty impressive - not because cold and dark is a new feature - but because of the approach Dovetail have taken, clarity and ease of use this feature brings. To think this level of thought will be provided to all future updates - thats what makes this impressive.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Chock said:

..... with the option for specific VC controls being highlighted as you go through a checklist, takes that kind of thing to an entirely more impressive and useful level when it comes to cockpit familiarisation.

Spot on!

Great if they can make similar for checklists.

Welcome step in the right direction but I was kind of hoping for some news about Truesky. 

Hopefully the special announcement next week...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I wasn't able to follow the stream for it taking place around  2 a.m. over here (and I am at work now so can't watch a replay), but after reading the above comments, I was left wondering about one thing. Was anything mentioned about if this update will also allow one to start the aircraft from a parking spot, or is the default location still on the runway only? Still, a nice feature to have for sure.

Any runway, any gate or parking... Think weather is next week, just a guess...Said the checklists are built in for ease of 3PD aircraft.... 

Some excellent additions to FSW. I think the pre-announcement of this "unveiling" was suggestive of a "bigger" feature, so maybe DTG should try harder to under-promise and over-deliver? In any case it's a fantastic amount of communication and community outreach, good going Cryss and DTG!

Barry Friedman

4 hours ago, switch686 said:

Any runway, any gate or parking... 

Thank you Scott, that sounds very good indeed. Can't wait to try this feature out once the update becomes available.

3 hours ago, fshobby said:

I think the pre-announcement of this "unveiling" was suggestive of a "bigger" feature, so maybe DTG should try harder to under-promise and over-deliver? 

Definitely. Cold & Dark is welcome but TBH as a standard feature in most sims over the past decade I expected it to be in FSW so this being the 'special' announcement is a bit underwhelming. 

Hopefully we can be pleasantly surprised by next week's announcement.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea