Sign in to follow this  
Pineapple_Wizard

Weird AA change in v4?

So I've been busy and away from flightsim for awhile, and just got back and installed all of the new PMDG birds, as well as PTA, AS16+ASCA, and some scenery. I also had to update windows 10 to the creators update as well. Anyway I have not changed any settings in P3D or otherwise and I noticed the anti-aliasing seemed to be worse than it was before. Here are some pics, you can see there are perpendicular lines on the runway, and the shadows have quite a shimmery edge to them as well. The cheatline on the 777 is also way more jaggy than it used to be. Here are some comparison shots from before, if you zoom in, the cheatlines on the United paint scheme aren't nearly as jaggy. Not sure what's changed, I've tried rebuilding the p3d.cfg, as well as removing my PTA preset, and nothing has worked. My current settings are FXAA off, MSAA 4x and 2048 texture resolution. Dynamic reflections and lighting are off. It also seems as though changing the AA setting doesn't affect the issue much. I am not using nvidia inspector, so I don't have anything overriding the settings. I am also currently on the latest graphics drivers. I run a GTX960 and an i5-4690k @ 4.38Ghz. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Have you tried raising the AA setting.  MSAA4X is pretty low.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I upped the AA settings to 8x MSAA and still the issue persists. Here are some more screenshots. It doesn't seem to affect frames either, so I'm wondering if there is something overriding the settings, but Nvidia control panel is all default settings. 

Try SSAA instead. MSAA just doesn't cut it.

MSAA doesn't antialias textures -- it's a bit more efficient. SSAA antialiases everything -- hence why it hits very inefficient and hits performance very hard (you'd better have the GPU beef to handle it).

I prefer MSAA and a hint of SGSAA.

I gave SSAA a go and that seemed to subdue the issue to a certain extent without much hit on the frames. I might be crazy, but I'm convinced I've always had 4x MSAA and never had a problem. The biggest difference to me is the weird lines on the runway, they are super noticeable. I also took a short video with just 4x MSAA to better illustrate this. https://streamable.com/ocoiq This was at Flightbeam's KDEN btw, so it may be exclusive to that airport, but it still looks like an AA issue to me.
Could it be from the recent hotfix for v4?