Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Bad photo scenery in Sweden using Ortho4XP

I'm all new to this so might be my own mistake somewhere but I've been building ZL17 tiles for the southern part of Sweden and now on a maiden flight from EKCH-ESSA I noticed what is seen below.

Is this because of bad map data or could it be something else? I was using BI as the provider when I built the tiles and I used the same settings and zoom levels for all tiles.

lv9XUOr.jpg

cBOhKdU.jpg

Richard Åsberg

I would say you are using a bad source for that area.  Try a couple of tiles using a different source, test, and report back.  I haven't done any Sweden yet so maybe someone else who has can recommend a better source for the area.

Ryan

If you zoom in on bing maps in those white areas you will see they don't have high resolution imagery there.  I ran into the same problem in parts of Canada.  Same problem with using Google, but it gives you plain blue rather than white textures. You may be able to get away with zl16 instead, but there are many parts of the world where getting good consistent coverage over an entire tile is not possible.  That's one of the big downsides of ortho scenery, but when it's good, it's great!

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Try the SE or Hitta source, both are very good in Sweden. I prefer "SE" as it has better colours.

Thanks for the advice guys, will try what you suggest.

When you've been using the SE provider what ZL did you use?

I'm thinking of trying ZL16 and ZL18 at a 10 km radius for airports by setting this up in the O2XP config file. Takes a bit more space but saves a lot of time not having to increase the ZL manually around airports for every tile. I find it nice to have higher resolution scenery around airports since you're closer to the ground and low resolution starts looking quite bad.

Richard Åsberg

8 hours ago, turnandbank said:

That's one of the big downsides of ortho scenery, but when it's good, it's great!

Couldn't agree more!

Richard Åsberg