Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

P3DV4 install location - does it matter anymore?

21 hours ago, SteveW said:

As far as pathname lengths are concerned I'm largely unaware since they are nearly always copy pasted from Explorer into scripts and bats if I have to do anything more than once.

Note that all four sim versions are installed on the D: drive, which is a 4TB WD Black 7200 HD. So, no partitions required or desired. All four have ample room for expansion. As it happens, many installed scenery files may even be "shared" with the other three sims quite easily.

What I've done to mitigate the excessively long path name issue is to create command line entries and save them as shortcuts in my SendTo folder. This way, I simply right-click on the .x file wherever it happens to be, and choose "Compile FSX", "Compile P3Dv1", "Compile P3Dv4" as needed.

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K C:"\DATA\P3Dv2.4 SDK\Modeling SDK\3DSM2012_x64\Plugins\xtomdl.exe" /XANIM /DICT:C:"\DATA\P3Dv2.4 SDK\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.XML" > buildlog.txt

Typically I export from Max to the aircraft's ..\model folder directly, so the compiled .mdl is saved there as well, ready for "instant testing" to check results.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For the more experienced user:

If we look at how we make a read-only file read-write; we right-click on it and choose Properties from the popup menu, we see a properties dialog window - in the 'General' tab we un-check the 'Read-only' box. We just enabled Modify permission on that file.

In the same way for FSX/P3D in Explorer we can right-click on a subfolder of Program Files (example ..\Lockheed Martin\), choose Properties and we see a similar properties dialog window. We can choose the 'Security' tab, press the 'Edit' button and select the group name 'Users(yourpc\Users)' and check the 'Modify Allow' box, that also puts a check in the 'Write Allow' box. We say OK to that and the permission is applied to the subfolders and files they become read-write. Don't check Full Control or make any other changes.

Here I am years ago, just added the check in the Modify Allow box on 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin' way back in 1967 when v2 came out:

P3DUsersGroup.jpg

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve, since I live alone and no one else has access to my LAN, I create the ubiquitous "Everone" and give "him" full permissions globally. I cuts down the complications that way. :biggrin:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Note that all four sim versions are installed on the D: drive, which is a 4TB WD Black 7200 HD. So, no partitions required or desired. All four have ample room for expansion. As it happens, many installed scenery files may even be "shared" with the other three sims quite easily.

What I've done to mitigate the excessively long path name issue is to create command line entries and save them as shortcuts in my SendTo folder. This way, I simply right-click on the .x file wherever it happens to be, and choose "Compile FSX", "Compile P3Dv1", "Compile P3Dv4" as needed.

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K C:"\DATA\P3Dv2.4 SDK\Modeling SDK\3DSM2012_x64\Plugins\xtomdl.exe" /XANIM /DICT:C:"\DATA\P3Dv2.4 SDK\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.XML" > buildlog.txt

Typically I export from Max to the aircraft's ..\model folder directly, so the compiled .mdl is saved there as well, ready for "instant testing" to check results.

Yes that's good stuff. Shortcuts are very handy single-line bat files for more simple tasks are great.

9 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Steve, since I live alone and no one else has access to my LAN, I create the ubiquitous "Everone" and give "him" full permissions globally. I cuts down the complications that way. :biggrin:

Yes that's OK, and certainly is one way to make life easy on the LAN indeed. There are many ways around, but the permission I'm talking about regarding these sims is non-destructive to the system and security because it is simply adding write enable on that folder to the already provided group - the authenticated Users. The entire problem of the alternative folder location is due to the read only Program Files folders being used for read-write.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

If you do install to the default location and later come across an issue with an addon there or want to edit something - add the permission then.

And THAT'S the catch to the whole thing. When something crashes without an error message the average user isn't thinking about permissions. All they know is P3D crashed. Users who are fairly computer savvy will get to the problem faster for sure but those who know just enough to get by are dead in the water without help.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

42 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

And THAT'S the catch to the whole thing. When something crashes without an error message the average user isn't thinking about permissions. All they know is P3D crashed. Users who are fairly computer savvy will get to the problem faster for sure but those who know just enough to get by are dead in the water without help.

Vic

That's why my recommendation was put this way:

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

A few of us had a chat about how this subject main issue: 'must we use an alternative folder' became so confusing and what to do to rectify the situation did not become apparent. One pointed out that since P3D encourages devs to avoid placing read-write files into the Program Files folder there's no need to provide permission to Modify it, (or at least in the future) and so we would need not avoid installing to default location Program Files to gain permission that way. This of course is no different to FSX, the actual difference is that addons installed files there expecting the User has write permission.

Still leaves the issue wide open. If you suspect you may want to edit files at a later date or perhaps install addons and they put read-write files there, then maybe think about installing to a custom folder or applying the permission whichever is easiest or most appropriate. If you do install to the default location and later come across an issue with an addon there or want to edit something - add the permission then.

"If you suspect you may want to edit files at a later date or perhaps install addons and they put read-write files there, then maybe think about installing to a custom folder"