Sign in to follow this  
ukplane1

When Do You Expect To See An A380?

A380 For P3D  

104 members have voted

1. 1. When Do You Expect To See An Flyable A380 For P3D?

• 0-12 Months
    • 13-24 Months
    • 25-36 Months
    • Never

10 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Indeed! 

I seem to remember reading somewhere (I think it was the Aerosoft Forums) and I believe it was Mathijs who said, that a PMDG level A350, A380 or 787 would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to do, due to the complexity of the aircrafts. I don't have the insights as to whether or not he's right, though...
I would assume, that he increased complexity and automation would be harder to model correctly... 

A little sad, as I really hope for a PMDG 787 or an high-level fidelity A350 sometime in the future... 

As far as the 787 goes, lets wait and see what Quality Wing's 787 has to offer. 

It is VERY unlikely (OK, more like NEVER) but it would be fun to see PMDG take on an Airbus project...the A350. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

7 hours ago, VS0 said:

I really think if they spent enough time on it FsLabs or another decent developer could do the aircraft itself to a very good standard. If they can do the transition from the 320 to the 330 then I'm sure down the road with increased exeperience  and information they'd be able to make the transition from the 330 to the 350. I think a hard task would be adding all the cockpit goodies such as the ANF (airport navigation function) basically a moving map for taxiing and the OIS (onboard information system) which is the a350s very very advanced EFB system. I am also assuming here they will be stepping up to do the 330 too.

Interesting... Would it be possible to leave out those systems and be able to make a believable version of the A350? Or are these systems an integral part of the plane, which is too vital to forego, since you can't simply fly the plane without them... 

I mean, the 777 (some companies) have an EFB integrated - but PMDG has foregone that, since there were too many complications and difficulties to overcome to make it believable... Couldn't you do the same with the A350?

13 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

It is VERY unlikely (OK, more like NEVER) but it would be fun to see PMDG take on an Airbus project...the A350. 

That would be amazing!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

11 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

but PMDG has foregone that, since there were too many complications and difficulties to overcome to make it believable... Couldn't you do the same with the A350?

That would be amazing!

From what I know of is that there weren't any technical complications in making it.. It's the licensing part of the data that would make it cost prohibitive.. The cost would go significantly high.. This is what pmdg had explained..

1 minute ago, whoispankaj said:

From what I know of is that there weren't any technical complications in making it.. It's the licensing part of the data that would make it cost prohibitive.. The cost would go significantly high.. This is what pmdg had explained..

Okay... fair enough. To be honest, I don't really see the idea of an EFB integrated in the VC. Captain Sim has already tried it, and it was next to useless, IMO. Served more as a distraction, than a help.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Can't see this ever happening. If it does, I reckon it will only be a half arsed attempt. I like Matt, and I have nothing but respect for him and all he's done for the flight simming community. But I just can't see him pulling this one off. I wish him all the luck in the world though, and if he pulls it off, I'll be first in the queue to buy it.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

3 hours ago, nealmac said:

Can't see this ever happening. If it does, I reckon it will only be a half arsed attempt. I like Matt, and I have nothing but respect for him and all he's done for the flight simming community. But I just can't see him pulling this one off. I wish him all the luck in the world though, and if he pulls it off, I'll be first in the queue to buy it.

I managed to catch a 10 minute snip of Matt's stream yesterday - and by the sounds of it, the A380 is going ahead.  They apparently have the funding for it (due in part, to the profits generated by PTA sales)  and have sourced high-end competence to make it happen.  

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I managed to catch a 10 minute snip of Matt's stream yesterday - and by the sounds of it, the A380 is going ahead.  They apparently have the funding for it (due in part, to the profits generated by PTA sales)  and have sourced high-end competence to make it happen.  

Yeah, taking on the PTA project was a fantastic move for him. It's good that he has the funding now. I'm sure his intentions are really good. Like I said, I'd love to see him make a success of this. I just can't help but think, if this project was doable, why haven't some of the bigger developers been all over it by now?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

9 minutes ago, nealmac said:

Yeah, taking on the PTA project was a fantastic move for him. It's good that he has the funding now. I'm sure his intentions are really good. Like I said, I'd love to see him make a success of this. I just can't help but think, if this project was doable, why haven't some of the bigger developers been all over it by now?

My guess is that it will be a superb visual model with plausible systems modeling.

Whatever happens, I hope he makes a success of it. Love him or hate him, I think he has inspired many to fly more complex sim aircraft and also got more people to use VATSIM -  through his series of Youtube videos over the last 3-4 years.  He loves what he does and is himself quite critical of slapdashery.   Hopefully that will translate into something to look forward to with the A380.

The only unfortunate thing about Matt is (some) of his group of delinquent stream followers who mostly sound like they are 10 years old with an commensurate level of brain development.

• Upvote 1

Interesting points of view - I appreciate that you're not dishing out the usual rubbish that comes as standard when people become ambitious. 

Here is how things stand from my point of view...

My background is in web development with just approaching 10 years of experience. I'm at a point now that as much as I still love it, it's no longer challenging. My mind needs to be challenged in order to remain sane.

I've always wanted to develop something beyond any sort of web application for the community and now, the stars have aligned and I would be stupid to let this opportunity pass. 

Over the years of being an "online personality", I've managed to accumulate contacts (who are now also friends) from different fields within flight sim development. Together, we've essentially created the "dream team" - every single person has their own skill set which complements everybody else. It's perfect. 

Why the A380? Partly because I'm sick of hearing people say it's "impossible" (trust me, nothing is impossible, you just have to find ways around things) and also because of the sheer amount of computers the thing has - it's basically a nerds wet dream. We're basically creating a flying computer... within a computer. It's incredible. 

Absolutely we could of started small and worked our way up, however I am of the mindset "go big or go home" - if I have a passion for something, I just get on with it.

This project is a labor of love - it's a challenge and it's something completely new to me. I have the mindset of a developer, sure, but I've never developed anything beyond web related software (albeit complex).

This is very much a "side project" as I am also working on projectFLY (we've got an app coming out, which will absolutely blow any dispatch tool available within our market out of the water) and Simstall (think of Steam, but specifically catered for Flight Sims).

I'm only young (26), I want to get my foot in the door whilst I can and do my utmost to bring projects to market that will benefit every single one of you greatly.

I understand some peoples' concerns, but I'm not the type of person to not think of the bigger picture (you may try and pin lack of YouTube videos as me no thinking about the bigger picture, but honestly right now I've just fallen out of love with it - I'd prefer to do something with my time that is productive and has longevity). To the people that are saying ESP (P3D) is dead, see the bigger picture. It's not going anywhere. LM are completely dedicated to the cause, if they weren't, they'd of ditched us at version 2.

Thanks for reading my essay - it's 3:30am and I'm half asleep, so if none of this makes sense, I apologise. 

Cheers,

Matt.

• Upvote 5

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

Well said Matt. People likely thought Bezos was crazy for wanting to sell books on that "internet thing". Yea, that silly Bezos, that will never work. 

Eric 

Well Matt, I wish you the best of luck. It's an ambitious project and you will certainly get the challenge you seek. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Fair play Matt. No one can fault your attitude thats for sure. Best of luck with the project.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

On 7/21/2017 at 10:28 PM, MattDavies said:

I am also working on projectFLY (we've got an app coming out, which will absolutely blow any dispatch tool available within our market out of the water)

Where will we be able to find more information on this? I am very interested in this product. Currently using PFPX which is very good but an app for a tablet is intriguing if it does what PFPX does. Any time frame? 

Eric 

8 hours ago, B777ER said:

Where will we be able to find more information on this? I am very interested in this product. Currently using PFPX which is very good but an app for a tablet is intriguing if it does what PFPX does. Any time frame? 

Right now, it's still in development. If you're a member of projectFLY, we're about a week or so away from starting to preview "teasers" of it. As far as a time frame, internally we're hoping for the end of August, but like with anything it's subject to change. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

Best of luck Matt.  I look forward to it.