Sign in to follow this  
neilphillips

Nice little touches

I'm really admiring the attention to detail on this old girl....  After turning the seatbelts to 'On' during flight I notice the 'PA in progress' lights up on the PA system a few seconds later. Presumably that will be my virtual flight attendant telling my virtual passengers to return to their seats! Love it! 

Searching around for all these nice little details is a great way to pass the time on those long flights  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, neilphillips said:

I'm really admiring the attention to detail on this old girl....  After turning the seatbelts to 'On' during flight I notice the 'PA in progress' lights up on the PA system a few seconds later. Presumably that will be my virtual flight attendant telling my virtual passengers to return to their seats! Love it! 

Searching around for all these nice little details is a great way to pass the time on those long flights  :biggrin:

I don't own the 747 but seeing and hearing about all these little details makes me think I should just get the card out!

The main reason I haven't purchased yet is because the NGX and 777 keep me busy and I actually turn more to the NGX as I'm pushed for time doing long hauls so the 747 would basically do the same job as the 777 for me but I will still end up buying it and even hauling cargo for a shorther flight :dry:.

The DC6 is a must have purchase on release day tho! :biggrin:

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

On 19.7.2017 at 11:49 AM, et31 said:

The DC6 is a must have purchase on release day tho! :biggrin:

Which as it turns out looks like it will be today!

As for the Queen, I can highly recommend it. Sure, like the 777, she's a longhauler, but she's also a different animal in many ways. Worth it.

10 minutes ago, harvester21 said:

Which as it turns out looks like it will be today!

As for the Queen, I can highly recommend it. Sure, like the 777, she's a longhauler, but she's also a different animal in many ways. Worth it.

Yeah :biggrin: I'm hitting refresh every five minutes!

Thanks for recommending the Queen, I think I will just bite the bullet and purchase this too :blink:

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

You should.  Just the VC and sounds alone are worth it.  It is great to use, and has some amazing features.

Cheers,

Greg,

PMDG's QOTS II, like the real 744 aircraft, is a very different beast to fly compared to the 777; especially at heavy weights.  However, if you are used to the cockpit layout in the 777 you will find it a relatively small uphill struggle getting used to the cockpit layout of the B744.  I can't recommend it highly enough and if you do go ahead and buy it I'm sure you won't regret it - and it will make a smaller hole in your wallet when their -8 is released.  I can't wait!

Bertie Goddard 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:43 AM, berts said:

Greg,

PMDG's QOTS II, like the real 744 aircraft, is a very different beast to fly compared to the 777; especially at heavy weights.  However, if you are used to the cockpit layout in the 777 you will find it a relatively small uphill struggle getting used to the cockpit layout of the B744.  I can't recommend it highly enough and if you do go ahead and buy it I'm sure you won't regret it - and it will make a smaller hole in your wallet when their -8 is released.  I can't wait!

Bertie Goddard 

On 7/20/2017 at 0:32 PM, VHOJT said:

You should.  Just the VC and sounds alone are worth it.  It is great to use, and has some amazing features.

Cheers,

Thanks everyone for the comments - I'm sold :laugh::laugh:

Greg Marshall

If you want to do short flights, fly in Asia. If you don't mind flying historical routes, Japan Airlines and ANA flew 747-400D's on flights around an hour long all day from Tokyo to Osaka and back in the 747-400D (no winglets). You basically get to cruise altitude then immediately start descending and prepping for landing. Osaka airport has some interesting approaches due to the mountains near the airport and the runway is smaller than usual.

If you fly in on  a windy day with bad weather it can make for a very fun approach.

Another interesting airport to fly into on a bad weather day is Seoul Incheon which also has dangerously high mountains near the STAR routes if you're coming in from the southeast. I flew in there today with clouds and thunderstorms down to about 800 feet and it was interesting to see the mountains off the right wing just a few hundred feet below and to the right. Cat3 autoland today, but it would have been a fun approach to fly by hand. The FPV would get a real workout on a day like today with weather that bad.

United also used to fly a bunch of short routes in the US - if I remember right they had some 744's doing stops around Denver from a few different airports. Seattle-Denver, San Francisco-Denver etc. then onto other American or more distant destinations, and in the opposite direction as well so you could just fly the KDEN-KSFO leg and enjoy two interesting airports in one go. KDEN is pretty high elevation (poor engine performance for takeoff) and KSFO has the interesting VFR bridge approaches as well as spectacular go arounds due to the mountains all around the airport.

Also a nice little touch I discovered during autoland in spotview... 

See footage, pay attention to nosegear lights when the mains touchdown... 

• Upvote 1