Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

Horrible FPS Loss with Clouds?

Hi everyone,

Using P3D V4 here with i7700K @ 4.8 ghz - GTX 1070. 

I'm using Active Sky 2016 for the weather. I have followed their advice to set cloud cover to maximum, However when flying ( all views ) i get a horrible FPS drop with some nasty stutters. I am using default P3D clouds. 

Would purchasing ASCA make a difference? I've played with the settings but i just cannot work out why i'm getting this horrible performance. 

Interesting post, coz that's the hardware I want to set up my P3Dv4 with, using AS2016.

33 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

I'm using Active Sky 2016 for the weather. I have followed their advice to set cloud cover to maximum, However when flying ( all views ) i get a horrible FPS drop with some nasty stutters. I am using default P3D clouds. 

What AA settings are you using?
Supersampling usually does not work well with heavy cloud density.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hey,

Thank you for the reply. I am using 4xMSAA It's what seems to work best for me, I have tried the others but the performance is worse with them. 

1 hour ago, Mejjo said:

Hey,

Thank you for the reply. I am using 4xMSAA It's what seems to work best for me, I have tried the others but the performance is worse with them. 

Make it 2x. The difference will be huge

Get GPU-Z and check your GPU usage when flying in these scenarios as you'll be able to see if you're pushing your card to 100% or near. This way you'll be able to see if it's your GPU or maybe something else.

Dense clouds generated by AS always take a toll on the GPU, especially during weather reloads under dense overcast conditions. When AS reloads the weather in that scenario, it adds another dense overcast layer to the existing one, while it lets the old layer gradually fade away. If you run high AA settings and have other GPU-intensive eye candy activated, having two overcast layers generated temporarily puts a lot of strain on your GPU. The performance improves as soon as the old layer has faded away. 

I don't think using ASCA will improve the performance, because the default P3D cloud textures are relatively fps-friendly. I would play around with AS settings (e.g. reducing the maximum number of cloud layers, using only one visibility layer, etc.)

4 hours ago, Mejjo said:

Hi everyone,

Using P3D V4 here with i7700K @ 4.8 ghz - GTX 1070. 

Would purchasing ASCA make a difference? I've played with the settings but i just cannot work out why i'm getting this horrible performance. 

I have the same setup. What time of the day are you experiencing the drop? How much RAM do you have? The only performance issue for me is the dusk, apart from it my system runs P3D like a champ. Any chance you could post screenshots of your graphic and lightning config?

Also, I'm assuming you're running W10? Check out YT, there are some videos on how to configure Windows 10 for gaming rigs, by default there's a lot of nonsense turned on in it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

ASCA will help but not completely resolve the issue. Also set your cloud layers to 3 and see if that helps. Also check you other settings and drop some of them to find the right balance.

If your other "non cloud" settings are too high, your cpu/gpu combo won't have enough to smoothly handle the clouds.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have almost exactly the same hardware as you but a GTX 1080.  I'm using ASP4 with ASCA and weather has a minimal impact on FPS for me.  As others have stated, for me the biggest performance improvement came from turning off FXAA and setting AA to 4xSSAA with 16x anisotropic filtering.  FXAA kills performance for me.

Another thing to try is reducing the number of cloud layers in ASP4 - I have it set to the default which I think is 5 layers, but reducing to three can help tremendously in complex weather.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I am experiencing the same thing with a 7700k clocked at 4.9 ghz. Frame rates with clouds at places like KMSP with moderate-high settings is around 20fps, which itself isn't that bad, but the stutters are horrific!

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

As others have stated, for me the biggest performance improvement came from turning off FXAA and setting AA to 4xSSAA with 16x anisotropic filtering.  FXAA kills performance for me.

Because of the way it works, FXAA is supposed to be the fastest type of AA with the least effect on performance - the main downside being that it tends to blur the image. I'm surprised you found it less efficient than SSAA. See https://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/12/what-is-fxaa/ for a more detailed explanation.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the replies. I am going to play around with the settings and try to find the right balance. I will also download GPU-Z to monitor the GPU usage. It's just proving hard to find the right balance, If i drop the AA setting down to 2 i get horrible jagged lines on all my PMDG aircraft ( mostly on the wings ) Which bugs me as i like to leave it on a outside view in cruise. I have tried FXAA, that does help with the jaggies but as the above post stats it will cause blurs and makes the virtual cockpit look horrible. 

It seems its just trying to get the right balance which i'm struggling with. I moved from FSX and used Nvidia Inspector, Should anything be used for P3D in that?