Sign in to follow this  

Why REX Sky Force is so dramatically late ? Aborted ?

If I remember it right it was showcased more than one year ago claiming it was imminent, also considering the public promo video it was roughly at 85% stage.

Told that and knowing that big 3rd party P3D addon software houses received the V4 many months before its public release, how comes such a huuuuge delay ? 

In addition there is no light at the end of the tunnel, therefore we can assume that the project has been aborted or, optimistically thinking, postponed to at least Q2-Q3 2018.

If someone will eventually say " soon ", who on earth can trust him ???  Facts spoke by themsleves, in June 2016 it was also told " soon to be released ". :biggrin: Funny indeed

What do you think guys ? Can we consider such ghost project definitely aborted ? 

Hopefully, we can file that under 'good things take time'. Though, I do have my concerns over the way they are handling this. On the 14th of June, they made a thread yet again hyping up their 'old' trailer, making it sound like something was happening very soon. Website was being updated and they also updated their servers to get ready for Sky Force. Now it's July 20th still nothing, another month of not a single bit of information, not a screenshot, not a video, nothing concrete. They even started to remove any posts being critical or questioning any of it. 

I don't mind products taking time, nor delaying them. Doing the whole "Soon, soon, soon!" and creating hype, then delivering nothing is getting slightly tiresome, as this was already slated for release last year. 

Hope they start giving us some actual information soon and less hot air :)

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

As I have come to know REX Simulations they are really good at hyping their products. I remember Simair which was hyped to the death a couple of years ago. I still have not witnessed the release; it is now planned for a Q2/Q3 2018 release. I take it all with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

only my opinion ..

we easily forget the speed in which FS is evolving.not 100% sure but it could have been P3d v2 when it was 1st in it's early stages,now it has gone from 32bit to 64bit in less than a year and all the time the code will be updated to incorporate the latest tecnology.in the mean time every other bit of REX software also has to be kept up to date.and  these guys are only a relatively small team.

steve

57 minutes ago, steve howlett said:

...in the mean time every other bit of REX software also has to be kept up to date.and  these guys are only a relatively small team.

steve

Have they released V4 versions? I haven't seen anything. I keep waiting for Soft Clouds, HD Airports, and Direct Textures to be upgraded. In the meanwhile HI-FI is dangling a fresh carrot in front of me. Tempting...

• Upvote 1

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Soft Clouds has been updated to V4 from a few days ago.

only my opinion ..

we easily forget the speed in which FS is evolving.not 100% sure but it could have been P3d v2 when it was 1st in it's early stages,now it has gone from 32bit to 64bit in less than a year and all the time the code will be updated to incorporate the latest tecnology.in the mean time every other bit of REX software also has to be kept up to date.and  these guys are only a relatively small team.

Exactly what I wanted to say. There is much more products in some developers pipelines since more than a year, QW's 787 or their 737 classic series, or DigitalAviation's CRJ series just to name a few. Panic is not helping nor a good advisor. They will release their products when they are finished. After all, we do not want to be paying beta testers again ...

Have they released V4 versions? I haven't seen anything. I keep waiting for Soft Clouds, HD Airports, and Direct Textures to be upgraded. In the meanwhile HI-FI is dangling a fresh carrot in front of me. Tempting...

REX has released Soft Clouds for P3Dv4 two days ago. But the HiFi products are a very nice alternative. I have swapped the REX products against the HiFi range (with respect to weather creation and depiction) and have not regretted it. I will however keep REX for default airport and other environment textures.

Cheers
Frank

What ever happened to the advertised "HD Buildings"? I recall seeing an advert for the default building replacements to higher definition models but can't find reference to that anywhere..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I believe sky force was delayed (I could be wrong) because they wanted to improve it further as it was not different enough from the competition ASA. They are a small team and it must be hard juggling it with the back catalogue they have to keep patching and updating for p3d changes that are demanded immediately.

I agree they over hype a bit though but their cloud textures are the market leader in my view.

20 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

What ever happened to the advertised "HD Buildings"? I recall seeing an advert for the default building replacements to higher definition models but can't find reference to that anywhere..

As far as I recall, HD buildings have been announced by ORBX. The announcement is aged, too, but I don't think that old as the one of Sky Force.

Btw, I am quite content with AS2016+ASCA+Envtex, for now. They did a good job. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, Mark II said:

If I remember it right it was showcased more than one year ago claiming it was imminent, also considering the public promo video it was roughly at 85% stage.

Told that and knowing that big 3rd party P3D addon software houses received the V4 many months before its public release, how comes such a huuuuge delay ? 

In addition there is no light at the end of the tunnel, therefore we can assume that the project has been aborted or, optimistically thinking, postponed to at least Q2-Q3 2018.

If someone will eventually say " soon ", who on earth can trust him ???  Facts spoke by themsleves, in June 2016 it was also told " soon to be released ". :biggrin: Funny indeed

What do you think guys ? Can we consider such ghost project definitely aborted ? 

Assuming without knowing what is really going is not a good thing.  Have you checked in at the REX forums to see if anything has been posted regarding their upcoming Sky Force product.

When REX made the announcement last June at FlightSimCon2016 the product appeared to be a few months out from release.  Since then I remember an update being made discussing that some changes needed to be made which would delay the product (this is one of those unfortunate drawbacks to software development).  Several months age they were fairly close to going beta, but not quite sure where they are on that at this point.

Now with the launch of P3D v4 it would only make sense from the developer's perspective to further delay the product to make it v4 compatible to avoid cries of frustration among the simulation community.  REX has done outstanding work, and such quality workmanship is not a quick process, especially being a small team with multiple products.

There was a proposed time schedule for their current products with the projected ready times for P3D v4, which would take priority over Sky Force as there is a very large customer base awaiting compatibility for P3D v4.

Cheers

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

2 hours ago, steve howlett said:

only my opinion ..

steve

I can see your point if their team is small, makes sense as I also work in a software business with relatively small team of functional and technical resources. I am however questioning the 32 to 64 bit jump as I imagine a lot of 3rd party developers were heavily involved with the LM team in testing and in technical decisions? I have no idea what was the process, but from reading a few posts and attending numerous podcasts, it certainly appeared so, especially since there were a handful of products which pretty much instantly got released after v4 hit the market.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hi Fi Active Sky V4 and/or 2016 is way ahead of the game as far as wx generators go, add to that ASCA and we have a very good, dynamically changing, sky scape. REX is good at textures, but unless it can compete with ASCA's dynamics and Active Sky's speed and feature set, Sky Force may never be released. Hi Fi is just so good at weather, Envtex grabbed a partnership with Hi Fi when REX maybe should have, long ago.

The other things Hi Fi has going for it is the most excellent customer service, try before you buy, reasonable prices, and frequent sales as well. All around top 3 flight sim add-on developer in my book.

• Upvote 2

Yes, mine was a complain about the recent marketing strategies which have ###### me off to me honest and we must react.

QW 787, REX Sky force, Aerosoft A330 etc etc.. are all perfect examples of how much the community is constantly screwed since years by fake marketing advs, 8 years to be precise in case of QW 787, sigh.

There should be a law where a company is allowed to advertise a software product only 6 months before the release, in case of delay such product must wait at least 3 years or be aborted. 

If such company tries to release it under another name, such company will face the court.

I think in 2017 our rights must be protected from fake internet advs

3 minutes ago, Mark II said:

Yes, mine was a complain about the recent marketing strategies which have ###### me off to me honest and we must react.

QW 787, REX Sky force, Aerosoft A330 etc etc.. are all perfect examples of how much the community is constantly screwed since years by fake marketing advs, 8 years to be precise in case of QW 787, sigh.

There should be a law where a company is allowed to advertise a software product only 6 months before the release, in case of delay such product must wait at least 3 years or be aborted. 

If such company tries to release it under another name, such company will face the court.

I think in 2017 our rights must be protected from fake internet advs

LOL, that's a little over the top. 

• Upvote 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |