Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Where are the big 3rd party Aircraft Developers?

7 hours ago, harry251 said:

new FSX /  P3D aircraft sell like hot cakes !!!

Old ones converted, not new.  There are  many fsx-ers going to P3D and these cakes do sell to them.  XP11 future is bright.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

Give them times.  The work that Carenado did to convert their P3D to V4 is nothing compared to what they (Dan K.) have to do to really use XP11.  The REP planes like F33A and B58 will probably be next, and we can use the REP package to get really close to A2A type of sim.  I am happy flying the Aerobask planes right now.

From what I've heard, Carenado is prioritizing the turboprops for v11 conversion, since that's where the major engine model changes are. That's why the B1900D is the first of the v10 planes released in v11 version (aside from those already released after announcement like the piston Aero Commander).

I think the Cessna 208b Caravan is up next, followed by the other turboprops. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a v11 PC-12 before long. My v10 model flies in v11, but only after some planemaker tweaks and it's still not right. The new "breathing" turboprop model is apparently a Big Deal in XP11, which is one reason Carenado decided to charge full price for the v11 versions.

After the turboprops, Dan said they'll do conversions based on how popular the piston models are (i.e. sales), and I would expect the planes with REP packages would probably be at the top of the list.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 hours ago, Paraffin said:

After the turboprops, Dan said they'll do conversions based on how popular the piston models are (i.e. sales), and I would expect the planes with REP packages would probably be at the top of the list.

Not quite. I think they will then concentrate on their G1000 planes, since they will be in stiff competition when X-Plane 11.10 is available. Later they will probably get the Default G1000 if wanted.

For PMDG and A2A the real problem is more: How can we develop a plane under X-Plane that is as good as our FSX offerings.and is up to date according to X-Plane standards. .

I know it's work and I am not really complaining, just anxious. This sim looks so good along with ortho and weather, and is performing well, but again what's missing for me are my favorites like the 337. 

Bob

7 hours ago, Longranger said:

Not quite. I think they will then concentrate on their G1000 planes, since they will be in stiff competition when X-Plane 11.10 is available. Later they will probably get the Default G1000 if wanted.

For PMDG and A2A the real problem is more: How can we develop a plane under X-Plane that is as good as our FSX offerings.and is up to date according to X-Plane standards. .

I thought Dan said Carenado was taking a wait-and-see approach to the G1000, since it wouldn't make sense to duplicate the effort with a default G1000 on the way in XP11?

I could be wrong about that. They need it anyway for the FSX market, but they can't afford to have a proprietary G1000 that isn't as good as the one coming from Laminar. I guess we'll see before long.

Agreed about PMDG and A2A. Although, I don't think PMDG went to all that effort with the exploratory DC-6 for nothing. They may have a framework now for parallel development of new models, even if the existing ones can't be easily converted. My guess is that PMDG will get here eventually. 

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

I

I could be wrong about that. They need it anyway for the FSX market, but they can't afford to have a proprietary G1000 that isn't as good as the one coming from Laminar. I guess we'll see before long.

You can´t really reuse code. Carenado for X-Plane was in fact Dan Klaue who used the basic 3D Model and Sound resources to recreate the planes in X-Plane. That´s the problem.

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Agreed about PMDG and A2A. Although, I don't think PMDG went to all that effort with the exploratory DC-6 for nothing. They may have a framework now for parallel development of new models, even if the existing ones can't be easily converted. My guess is that PMDG will get here eventually. 

Sure. PMDG wants to get there. But if we are truthfull, the DC-6 was about one year behind the market. It isn´t easy to keep their tool park up to date to move with X-Planes continously development. It isn´t easy to even compete with FlightFactor or IXEG in this manner. But in a way they have to be the first.

A2A has the same problem AccuSim and AccuFeel were developed over years. It won´t be a conversion but in many areas a recreation and it will cost as much..

On 22/07/2017 at 2:25 AM, Anxu00 said:

Old ones converted, not new.  There are  many fsx-ers going to P3D and these cakes do sell to them.  XP11 future is bright.

Unless you have access to sales figures, you comment is pure BS. But kudos for towing the party line.

50 minutes ago, jenxy said:

Unless you have access to sales figures, you comment is pure BS.

There are several hints that point to a shift of market share towards X-Plane since the release of v11 though.

In the last 9 months, the combined strength of FSX and P3D on Google Trends went down from 77 to 64, the strength of X-Plane went up from 25 to 32:

RPN2Xme.jpg

In the month from 21 June to 22 July 2016, Google finds 5240 P3D videos and 3730 X-Plane videos.

One year later, in the last month, the numbers are 5270 for P3D and 6720 for X-Plane:

1mpDpDO.jpg

• Upvote 7

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

21 minutes ago, Murmur said:

There are several hints that point to a shift of market share towards X-Plane since the release of v11 though.

Not trying to "tow the party line" here, because I think each sim ultimately stands on its own merits, but there is another indication I've seen of increasing numbers of XP users, and that's in the FSEconomy game.

XP has been supported for years, but users have always been a small minority among the MSFS sim users. After XP11 beta came out, there's been an increase in new XP users in the FSE forum. Mostly people previously using FS9, FSX, or (unofficially) P3D. No hard data on the increase, and we're still probably somewhere around 20-25% of FSE users compared to the MSFS-derived sims. But there's a definite uptick lately.

• Upvote 2

Do we really want PMDG with their foul mouthed abuse of their customers?

11 minutes ago, jenxy said:

Do we really want PMDG with their foul mouthed abuse of their customers?

What was foul mouthed in that reply, he only stated (clearly) his companies position and the reasons for it, much larger market in FSX/P3D / better interaction with Lockheed developers etc.

He runs a business not a hobby and so develops for the largest market, can't say I blame him really.

I didn't see anything foul mouthed about the PMDG reply either, although there was a dig at X-Plane with comment that P3D's market size is "staggeringly larger than XPL". That was unnecessary.

It's understandable that they want to take a while to get their current P3D products updated first, then look at what it will take to roll out an XP11 version of the DC-6. If that's what it's about (I haven't read the whole conversation).

58 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I didn't see anything foul mouthed about the PMDG reply either, although there was a dig at X-Plane with comment that P3D's market size is "staggeringly larger than XPL". That was unnecessary.

IMO their assessment is distorted by two issues, that is:

1) The only product they released for X-Plane (DC-6) is much less popular than modern airliners; and they could only compare it to modern airliners produced for P3D (except for the old Jetstream turboprop for FSX, never converted to P3D, probably not without reason);

and

2) They released the DC-6 during the v10 run, while the upsurge of new users happened after the release of v11. And if the enlarged team at Laminar plays well its cards, the increase in market share could go on.

So the "staggeringly larger" may not reflect the current situation.

Google Trends gives again interesting results. Look at the impressive spike when PMDG released its 747, compared with the non-existing event corresponding to the release of their PMDG for P3D last Thursday:

B6ERugh.jpg

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 7/23/2017 at 0:26 PM, jenxy said:

Unless you have access to sales figures, you comment is pure BS. But kudos for towing the party line.

I am not clear as to you meant by sales figures and that my comment was pure BS.  I did not state a sale figure of any kind, if you scan the forum, you would notice many newcomers from FSX and the fact that Carenado is releasing more P3Dv4 compatible planes speaks for itself, they don't do that because sale or expectation of sale is not good.  Also on the "party line" towing, which party is that?  If you can not maintain a civil tone, then I would suggest you troll somewhere else.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

The only product they released for X-Plane (DC-6) is much less popular than modern airliners; and they could only compare it to modern airliners produced for P3D (except for the old Jetstream turboprop for FSX, never converted to P3D, probably not without reason)

I am definitely not the kind of guy that would be interested in the DC-6, so PMDG release into XPX was a non event for me.  PMDG should not use this as a yard stick for potential of their sale to XP market, IMHO.  It was clearly an experiment to see if they can work with XPX.  Their main sale is still by and large FSX/P3D, so given limited resources, they need to pick one, and those make sense.  I just hope they continue to stay with XP and with a better offering than the DC-6.  For procedural sims like the airliners, if you stay with the base P3D and only have the big commercial airports sceneries, do not install ORBX, then the sim like P3D performs very well, with the weather and other add-ons.  I see XP being dominated more for good GA eventually, as Ortho4XP is a real game changer for me.  After seeing the real thing, seeing the generated plausible stuffs just does not cut it.  For this reason, the lack of serious weather support the like of AS2016 and even season is not as important to me, the casual flyer who just want to enjoy a nice flight and nice scenery.  Luckily, the serious GA sim developers in XP are just evolving fine.

Vu Pham