Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Is my system sufficient for v4?

Hi,

I am considering buying P3D v4. However I am pretty sure, that my system is not good enough. What do you think, would my current system be able to handle the sim with addons like ORBX, FSL A320 etc.? I am aware of that I will not be able to have all slices on the right site, but when graphics are as in FSX, it would be fine, initially.

What do you think which components do I need to upgrade in the future?

Here my components:

Intel Core i5-3570K

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

GeForce GTX 650 Ti, 2048MB DDR5,

8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER BQT E9-450W 80+Gold

Enermax Cluster 12x12cm

Lian Li PC-9F Midi-Tower

Scythe Mugen 3

Yeah, it'll run it okay on a PC like that. Might not get the sliders all the way over, but there are a ton of options which you can back off in P3D and it'll still look better than FSX and run faster than it because it is loading stuff onto the GPU.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

23 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

What do you think which components do I need to upgrade in the future?

RAM and GPU. And maybe power supply, 450W seems to be a bit low in my opinion.

I also have 8GB of RAM and weak GPU(and we have same MB), P3D V4 runs quite good, but on the last flight with ORBX, ASP4 + ASCA, with NGX between two addon airports, i had about 7GB of RAM in use. I ordered new RAM and i'm going to upgrade GPU soon.

I have a set up that is pretty close to that. 3770K Oc'd to 4.5 and 16GB Ram. I have a 980 TI and they do a fair job on 40In 4K monitor. I am wondering if the upgrade to 1080 TI is worth the money to do. Their are many confusing opinions out there but it does not seem to be worth the upgrade to a 7700K processor and I hope someone can help me decide if the 1080 TI is overkill.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Yeah, it'll run it okay on a PC like that. Might not get the sliders all the way over, but there are a ton of options which you can back off in P3D and it'll still look better than FSX and run faster than it because it is loading stuff onto the GPU.

Thanks for that response, Alan, cos I was holding back even though I've just bought the P3Dv4, so your endorsement gives me hope too, to get into the 'salvation' of simming.

55 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I have a set up that is pretty close to that. 3770K Oc'd to 4.5 and 16GB Ram. I have a 980 TI and they do a fair job on 40In 4K monitor. I am wondering if the upgrade to 1080 TI is worth the money to do. Their are many confusing opinions out there but it does not seem to be worth the upgrade to a 7700K processor and I hope someone can help me decide if the 1080 TI is overkill.

Good post as I too am questioning splashing out on a 1080Ti when I have a perfectly good EVGA GTX970.

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

Good post as I too am questioning splashing out on a 1080Ti when I have a perfectly good EVGA GTX970.

Going to a 1070 will get you close to the TI but at quite a lower price. You have to make the decision as to whether the cost differential between the 1070 and the TI is worth the price differential.

IMHO, it is not but if you have expendable cash, why not?

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just now, vgbaron said:

Going to a 1070 will get you close to the TI but at quite a lower price. You have to make the decision as to whether the cost differential between the 1070 and the TI is worth the price differential.

IMHO, it is not but if you have expendable cash, why not?

Vic

Thank you, Vic for that reply. Just what I was looking for. I'm committed to acquiring a new -i7-7700k(future-proofing), an Asus ATX z270, a good whack of RAM, and an EGVA 1070, and have a go at my very first water-cooler as they seem to be getting better an much more leak-proof these days. I notice 2x 1070s in your rig. I thought flightsims did not use SLi technology as much as other RPGs did?

3 minutes ago, vc10man said:

-i7-7700k(future-proofing)

Ah bless! Should be good for three weeks. :biggrin:

I recall buying a 330mhz PC and saying to my wife "It makes sense to go for the expensive model as that'll be future proofed"

What a foo'

• Upvote 1

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

11 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Ah bless! Should be good for three weeks. :biggrin:

I recall buying a 330mhz PC and saying to my wife "It makes sense to go for the expensive model as that'll be future proofed"

What a foo'

Dash, Ron. You have just floored me. There goes my roadmap for the last rig I was hoping to build. I'm beginning to collect more cases, CPUs, etc than my local Recycle Centre!!!

21 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Ah bless! Should be good for three weeks.

Oh it's not that bad anymore Ron, these days you can get at least 5-6 months out of a new CPU before it's deemed a fossil ... like me ... but I still define my hair as silver (not gray and not white). 

5 hours ago, 737_800 said:

What do you think, would my current system be able to handle the sim with addons like ORBX, FSL A320 etc.?

I don't think FSL A320 is available for P3D V4 yet?  If you're happy with the visuals and performance in FSX with that hardware, then you'll be happy with visuals and performance in P3D V4 with that hardware and no OOMs to worry about.  

If you compare "similar settings", you should find that P3D V4 runs considerably better on the FPS front, however, if you feel the itch to move those P3D graphics sliders beyond the best that FSX can do, then your hardware will begin to show it's age.  Many FSX users seem to fall into the trap that a maxed out P3D V4 is the same as a maxed out FSX ... this is unfortunately a bad assumption.  P3D V4 has many more graphics options and the sliders do NOT correspond 1 to 1 with FSX.

How you may want to proceed might be to try your current system and see how it performs with P3D V4 (monitor CPU/GPU usage and see if they are balance or unbalance to one or the other), then start experimenting with graphics sliders/options and see what happens, but don't panic when you turn on Dynamic Lights (not available in FSX) and set 4X SSAA (again not available in FSX) and your FPS drastically drops, that will happen even on a high end system, just a harsh reality of the processing requirements in today's hardware.

But my advice is try what you have before you go spending money.

Cheers, Rob.

7 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Best piece of advice I have read since the build-up to the 'saviour' of flightsimming being released, Rob.

42 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I notice 2x 1070s in your rig. I thought flightsims did not use SLi technology as much as other RPGs did?

Correct but it does use it. Again, as to my original post - is the second 1070 cost worth the improved performance? Not really - I notice it's smoother and, in my case, I have the expendable cash so why not but a single 1070 would be almost as good.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

26 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Now THAT is sound advice. Listen to da man.

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

My PC is not as powerful as some folks here and P3Dv4 runs a lot better than I expected. Here are my PC specs...

i5 4590 @ 3.3 gHz

16 gb RAM 

EVGA GTX 1060 6gb FTW (recently bought to replace my old GTX 650Ti SC 2gb)

3 Hard drives (1 SSD for Windows 10 Pro and 2 mechanicals...P3Dv4 has it's own drive)

I have a bunch of add-ons installed and still get pretty good performance considering my specs. My settings are a mix of Very High to Ultra with traffic turned off (I have a small percentage of road traffic). Flying the PMDG 747 from Flightbeam's KMSP to Flightbeam's KSFOHD, I will get around 26-40 fps in cockpit view while on the ground but the sim is very smooth with a stutter every now and then. Once in the air, I can get around 33-48 fps in cockpit view and in the external view at altitude, anywhere from 70-112 fps. On approach, in the cockpit, frame rates will drop back down to 25-40. On the ground, my frame rate is usually around 30-60 fps in external views. I do have orbx Global and OpenLC N. America, Active Sky P4, AS Cloud Art, Envtex, ChasePlane, precipitFX, 777immersions, and a bunch of airports installed. 

Most importantly, the sim runs very smoothly and looks extremely good. Textures, lighting, auto gen, shadows, the add-ons....I haven't fired up FSX since I got it.

• Upvote 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg