Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

How to Crush a Guy

3 hours ago, JYW said:

£1.25/litre

You're being stiffed! £1.12  is the going rate, albeit at supermarkets. (does anyone buy petrol from anywhere else? Only if it's on an expense account)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Only those from Hong Kong have the right to complain about Petrol Prices:
http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

In New Zealand we are double the price as the USA, However we are a fraction of the size and therefore use far less petrol. Americans will drive an hour in an SUV just to go to a mall, Kiwi's won't. Even though Americans are paying less per gallon, they are actually spending more on it then most other nations, and putting far more mileage on their vehicles every year.

Same when you compare to the UK, USA is paying less per gallon but driving far more then people in the UK as the USA is bigger and people will do things like drive to Florida :biggrin:

Matthew Kane

On 20/07/2017 at 8:31 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

So I see PMDG has just released a DC-6, fantastic I say....I think I'll get this one.....WHAT...$70 US....nearly $100 Canadian?

Being a Canadian, you might want to try the Flight Replicas Canadair North Star/Argonaut if you want some DC-6-style action. It might not be up to PMDG's level of detail, but it works in FSX and P3D (including V4) and is a much more affordable 29.95 (US Dollars). And it is of course something which will presumably appeal to your national sensibilities.

http://www.flight-replicas.com/NorthStar_Home.htm

aShaeUM.png

As you probably know, the North Star (which was called the Argonaut when built for BOAC), was a pressurised hybrid variant of the DC-4 and the DC-6, but equipped with Merlin V12 engines so that it would have a higher cruise speed than the DC-4 (at around 325 mph when up at 36,000 feet, it was about 100 mph faster than a DC-4). It was intended that it would be sold to Commonwealth countries so as not to compete with the (then new) DC-6 on the US market.

Despite being a a good aeroplane with decent reliability, compared to the DC-4 and DC-6, it was notoriously noisy in the passenger cabin; the Merlin engine's stub exhaust ejectors tended to force a pulsed exhaust note from the inboard engines at the cabin. The fairly high density seating layout, and the fact that it sounded like a Lancaster bomber meant that not many passengers fell in love with it, but since it was one of the first aeroplanes (certainly in Europe) used to fly package holidaymakers to places like Spain, it was many people's first experience of flying. Of course these days we love hearing that noise and so it's actually great in your flight sim!

The North Star had a DC-6 cockpit, (but with a different control layout and different electrical system), a slightly shorter fuselage which used C-54 sections and the wings and tail of the DC-4.

There were a total of 70 built, plus one additional experimental variant, named the C-5, which had P&W R-2800 engines in an attempt to make a quiter version of the thing. Some variants were called the DC-4M, others the C-4 when used by the RCAF. It saw quite widespread use with BOAC until the dH Comet came along, when most of BOAC's Argonauts were sold to US and European smaller operators, probably most famously British Midland, one of which had a fairly notorious crash in my home town in 1967, when the control panel's poor fuel selector design led to the crew selecting an empty tank and running out of fuel whilst on approach to Manchester, causing the aircraft to crash in Stockport town centre whilst attempting a go around. And if you like trivia, my dad, along with a motorcyle cop who was pulled up nearby, were the first people at the crash scene, where they helped to rescue some passengers and crew from the burning wreckage.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

Gosh, now I feel guilty for only having to pay around $2.36/gallon for gasoline (petrol). :blush:

And meanwhile, I'm paying around $2.99 a gallon for super unleaded, as my MDX will not take anything lower. Always annoys me when everyone goes on about how fuel prices went down because every time I look, prices for regular unleaded went down, but super unleaded remains the same.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

35 minutes ago, Chock said:

Being a Canadian, you might want to try the Flight Replicas Canadair North Star/Argonaut if you want some DC-6-style action. It might not be up to PMDG's level of detail, but it works in FSX and P3D (including V4) and is a much more affordable 29.95 (US Dollars). And it is of course something which will presumably appeal to your national sensibilities.

http://www.flight-replicas.com/NorthStar_Home.htm

aShaeUM.png

As you probably know, the North Star (which was called the Argonaut when built for BOAC), was a pressurised hybrid variant of the DC-4 and the DC-6, but equipped with Merlin V12 engines so that it would have a higher cruise speed than the DC-4 (at around 325 mph when up at 36,000 feet, it was about 100 mph faster than a DC-4). It was intended that it would be sold to Commonwealth countries so as not to compete with the (then new) DC-6 on the US market.

Despite being a a good aeroplane with decent reliability, compared to the DC-4 and DC-6, it was notoriously noisy in the passenger cabin; the Merlin engine's stub exhaust ejectors tended to force a pulsed exhaust note from the inboard engines at the cabin. The fairly high density seating layout, and the fact that it sounded like a Lancaster bomber meant that not many passengers fell in love with it, but since it was one of the first aeroplanes (certainly in Europe) used to fly package holidaymakers to places like Spain, it was many people's first experience of flying. Of course these days we love hearing that noise and so it's actually great in your flight sim!

The North Star had a DC-6 cockpit, (but with a different control layout and different electrical system), a slightly shorter fuselage which used C-54 sections and the wings and tail of the DC-4.

There were a total of 70 built, plus one additional experimental variant, named the C-5, which had P&W R-2800 engines in an attempt to make a quiter version of the thing. Some variants were called the DC-4M, others the C-4 when used by the RCAF. It saw quite widespread use with BOAC until the dH Comet came along, when most of BOAC's Argonauts were sold to US and European smaller operators, probably most famously British Midland, one of which had a fairly notorious crash in my home town in 1967, when the control panel's poor fuel selector design led to the crew selecting an empty tank and running out of fuel whilst on approach to Manchester, causing the aircraft to crash in Stockport town centre whilst attempting a go around. And if you like trivia, my dad, along with a motorcyle cop who was pulled up nearby, were the first people at the crash scene, where they helped to rescue some passengers and crew from the burning wreckage.

Hi Chock....I actually have that plane in my hanger but have yet to check if its compatible with P3D4. My dad flew that plane. I like to get my hands on all the planes he flew.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

5 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

And meanwhile, I'm paying around $2.99 a gallon for super unleaded, as my MDX will not take anything lower. Always annoys me when everyone goes on about how fuel prices went down because every time I look, prices for regular unleaded went down, but super unleaded remains the same.

I Didn't realize you guys still called it 'unleaded', I think the rest of the world moved on and calls it something else now.

Matthew Kane

Re: the North Star/Argonaut in P3D - I just pointed the installer at the main P3D V4 folder and in it went, no problem. It's no PMDG affair of course but then again it is only around 20 quid to buy, and it is still pretty good fun to fly; unlike all those NGs and 747s we get spoiled on, with its next to useless old school autopilot and basic nav equipment, it's an airliner which forces you to actually drive the thing, working the superchargers and props etc and navigating 'properly' lol.

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

Only those from Hong Kong have the right to complain about Petrol Prices:
http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

In New Zealand we are double the price as the USA, However we are a fraction of the size and therefore use far less petrol. Americans will drive an hour in an SUV just to go to a mall, Kiwi's won't. Even though Americans are paying less per gallon, they are actually spending more on it then most other nations, and putting far more mileage on their vehicles every year.

Same when you compare to the UK, USA is paying less per gallon but driving far more then people in the UK as the USA is bigger and people will do things like drive to Florida :biggrin:

Beautiful.

And we here in Canada can spend 1/2 a tank to just get to a grocery store....we are kinda big.

Near CAM3

1 minute ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Beautiful.

And we here in Canada can spend 1/2 a tank to just get to a grocery store....we are kinda big.

Yes you are actually bigger, and you do pay more then the USA but you pay less then UK or NZ, kind of half way between the two. 

But you have better Health Care so you save money there, taxes count towards something I suppose :biggrin:

Matthew Kane

In the UK, unless you are on a motorway in anything other than rush hour, you have to change gear all the time because of the smaller windy roads and terrible traffic jams. So my 20 year-old mark one MX-5 (Miata to you Yanks) drinks petrol like it is going out of fashion, although I must admit that is probably because I rag it about all over the place changing gear at 6,000 rpm and getting the back end to slide out on corners and insisting on putting 97 octane fuel in it lol.

Alan Bradbury

52 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Beautiful.

Why not use home delivery.  :)

Harry Woodrow

5 hours ago, harrry said:

Why not use home delivery.  :)

Of course I'm kidding.....we do not have some delivery on my island.....Vancouver Island.

Near CAM3

6 hours ago, Chock said:

In the UK, unless you are on a motorway in anything other than rush hour, you have to change gear all the time because of the smaller windy roads and terrible traffic jams. 

That would be old Roman Roads designed for the Roman Army vs Dwight D. Eisenhower's National System of Interstate and Defense Highways :biggrin:

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Of course I'm kidding.....we do not have some delivery on my island.....Vancouver Island.

With the scenery you have there I do not blame you for driving....now if they could do something for the weather....

Harry Woodrow

9 hours ago, Chock said:

In the UK, unless you are on a motorway in anything other than rush hour, you have to change gear all the time because of the smaller windy roads and terrible traffic jams. So my 20 year-old mark one MX-5 (Miata to you Yanks) drinks petrol like it is going out of fashion, although I must admit that is probably because I rag it about all over the place changing gear at 6,000 rpm and getting the back end to slide out on corners and insisting on putting 97 octane fuel in it lol.

How many miles does it give you to the gallon? Or would you rather not think about that...? :biggrin: