Sign in to follow this  
THibben

I give up

30 minutes ago, tooting said:

I love topics like this someone not knowing what they are doing and screwing up their installation because they will not do a clean fresh windows installation and installation of v4 out of shear laziness.  Quick question how old are you Tom? 

In as far back as I can remember (many years, many programs)... I have never had to do a clean windows install to get any software to work correctly.  Perhaps you should reconsider your belief that you know more than others?  In the end, there's no reason for you to be so rude, ever.

• Upvote 10

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

29 minutes ago, tooting said:

Didnt see the 83,  it's 0600 on my way to work.  

Of course poppet you can install on a malware ridden pc with numerous versions of fsx, p3d,  steam etc etc and you being the voice of LM you have to say that line, but you know and I know and anyone who's pc savvy knows,   it's always better on a clean fresh pc with an OS with all the updates installed and the hdd defraged if it's not a Ssd.

Tom if youre willing to wipe your pc and install from fresh I'll personally teamviewer onto your pc and install it so it smooth as silk

LOL... uh... no.

There is no evidence of any malware.  FSX and Prepar3D can reside on the same system.  I have FS9, FSX, ESPv1 P3Dv1, P3Dv2, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 on my system... zero issues.  In short... you are posting misinformation.

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

2 hours ago, bills511 said:

Is it possible that P3D will still be listed in the Control Panel uninstall if he just deleted the folder? And if so can it still uninstall any remaining files and folders so he can reinstall?

Hello Bill

Yes if you just Delete all the Prepar3D directories\folders you will still have Prepar3D Active and Installed and the entries will still be present in your control Panel,  If this is the case a User can simply right click on each of the 4 (or 3 depending on how it was Installed)  Prepar3D components in the control panel and click Uninstall to each of them

Its also possible that Tom has no entries for Prepar3D in his Control Panel But due to a registry editor slip up Tom may still have Prepar3D Active and Installed,  In this case a User would need to navigate to there Prepar3D download folder and Uninstall by right clicking on the Setup_Prepar3D.exe and click Uninstall.

7 hours ago, THibben said:

Tom

Tom before taking any other action maybe go through the steps below first to Uninstall\Deactivate Prepar3D to see if this resolves your situation.  Note: If you dont have any Prepar3D entries in your control panel just navigate to your Prepar3D download folder and Uninstall by right clicking on the Setup_Prepar3D.exe and click Uninstall

When you have Uninstalled Prepar3D have a look through the link below for some hints and tips to Reinstall again 

Let us know how you get on 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WarpD said:

In as far back as I can remember (many years, many programs)... I have never had to do a clean windows install to get any software to work correctly.  Perhaps you should reconsider your belief that you know more than others?  In the end, there's no reason for you to be so rude, ever.

you dont get it do you.  If you've got a pc with numerous copies of p3d and fsx all with conflicting registry entries of software you are going to have issues.  Its simple common sense.

By doing a repair or a restore, you are putting a bandaid over a big wound, you are not solving the issues.

I still stand by the claim that if i "teamviewered" onto the majority of peoples pcs with "issues" I would find a pc with files all over the place on multiple hard disks and or ssd's with multiple copies of different simulators with outdated drivers and / or wrong drivers  with numerous user accounts etc etc etc.

In fact since 2001 ive been asked to "fix" probably 15 or so peoples pcs because they had issues.  All of them, every single one was like the above paragraph.  Im not beiing rude.  Its common sense and based on upon the law of probability or per capita or however you want to spin it. 

Install lots of junk, get lots of problems,  simple as that.  Theres no point in sugar coating it.

Of all the previous flightsims ive had,  fs98,2000,2004,fsx,p3d v3 and v4.  V4 is oustanding and stable , so long as you have a nice clean installation , and without going crazy on the sliders.  I really dont understand why people are having so many problems

14ppkc-6.png

Doing a full Windows re-install, while certainly a clean way to go, should be absolutely the last resort option.  The assumption then is that the PC is, as you say Pete, is ridden with malware, misinstalled software and all kinds of other junk.  

I agree with Ed - in most cases this is absolute overkill and will take hours and hours of work to reinstall and reconfigure everything.

Ilya

• Upvote 2

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

8 hours ago, Poppet said:

Hello Bill

Yes if you just Delete all the Prepar3D directories\folders you will still have Prepar3D Active and Installed and the entries will still be present in your control Panel,  If this is the case a User can simply right click on each of the 4 (or 3 depending on how it was Installed)  Prepar3D components in the control panel and click Uninstall to each of them

Its also possible that Tom has no entries for Prepar3D in his Control Panel But due to a registry editor slip up Tom may still have Prepar3D Active and Installed,  In this case a User would need to navigate to there Prepar3D download folder and Uninstall by right clicking on the Setup_Prepar3D.exe and click Uninstall.

Tom before taking any other action maybe go through the steps below first to Uninstall\Deactivate Prepar3D to see if this resolves your situation.  Note: If you dont have any Prepar3D entries in your control panel just navigate to your Prepar3D download folder and Uninstall by right clicking on the Setup_Prepar3D.exe and click Uninstall

When you have Uninstalled Prepar3D have a look through the link below for some hints and tips to Reinstall again 

Let us know how you get on 

Elaine,

Thank you and all of the rest who have tried to help me.  I think I will just give it a rest for a while.....and see if my brain will get back to working...grin.

Tom

9 hours ago, tooting said:

Didnt see the 83,  it's 0600 on my way to work.  

Of course poppet you can install on a malware ridden pc with numerous versions of fsx, p3d,  steam etc etc and you being the voice of LM you have to say that line, but you know and I know and anyone who's pc savvy knows,   it's always better on a clean fresh pc with an OS with all the updates installed and the hdd defraged if it's not a Ssd.

Tom if youre willing to wipe your pc and install from fresh I'll personally teamviewer onto your pc and install it so it smooth as silk

Tom, I'm nowhere near your age but I have the same memory problems these days, don't know about you but the mere mention of doing a re-install of Windows sends me scurrying under the nearest table!!, 

The kind offer of "team viewer" assist is something I would really appreciate if I were having issues, I'm not too proud to admit I would NEVER attempt that alone.

Thanks everyone for offering assistance to us seniors. 

Good luck Buddy  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ieydis said:

Doing a full Windows re-install, while certainly a clean way to go, should be absolutely the last resort option.  The assumption then is that the PC is, as you say Pete, is ridden with malware, misinstalled software and all kinds of other junk.  

I agree with Ed - in most cases this is absolute overkill and will take hours and hours of work to reinstall and reconfigure everything.

Ilya

Ill agree to an extent.  But For a new version ie v4.  New windows installation.  Simple.  

Takes 2 hours tops.  

You go to the microsofft website download the iso installation program to install it to a dvd or a usb stick.  This will give you the recent updates.  say an hour to dowload and create the cd or usb stick

Installing windows take 40 mins tops from a dvd or usb stick. 

Then installing v4 .. 30 mins tops.

So simple yet people cant be bothered and wonder why they have issues.  

14ppkc-6.png

Mr. King, if you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all.

Where are downvotes when you need them?

• Upvote 3

Stephen Forsgren

Registry clean?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Registry clean?

I did go into the registry and found a lot to delete.  Then I got into one area that there were so many files I just couldn't delete them all.

I was having to delete one file at a time.

Tom

Just now, THibben said:

I did go into the registry and found a lot to delete.  Then I got into one area that there were so many files I just couldn't delete them all.

I was having to delete one file at a time.

Tom

Try CCleaner? https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 hours ago, tooting said:

Im not beiing rude.  Its common sense and based on upon the law of probability or per capita or however you want to spin it. 

Actually, you have been rude. Perhaps that is not your intention, but it certainly is how your words are perceived.

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, tooting said:

Ill agree to an extent.  But For a new version ie v4.  New windows installation.  Simple.  

Takes 2 hours tops.  

You go to the microsofft website download the iso installation program to install it to a dvd or a usb stick.  This will give you the recent updates.  say an hour to dowload and create the cd or usb stick

Installing windows take 40 mins tops from a dvd or usb stick. 

Then installing v4 .. 30 mins tops.

So simple yet people cant be bothered and wonder why they have issues.  

What you aren't mentioning are all the add-ons, many with serial numbers, that have to be reinstalled. That can take an hour or two by itself. 

I am with the others who say, "Only as a last resort."

On a side note, I read an article in one of the computer sites that said using registry cleaners was a bad idea. They tested a dozen or so of the most popular and found that only one or two actually did any good. The author of the article stated that the Windows OS was quite robust and all the broken links, file fragments and other code debris didn't slow down or harm a modern computer. 

I am sure some will disagree with the article. I only mention it as food for thought. I know that I have gone through three or four versions of PD3 and not once have I reinstalled the OS.

A couple days ago, I moved PD3 V4 from one drive to another. I deactivated, deleted, and reinstalled with nary an issue. I changed the new drive to the same drive letter as the old drive and dragged my scenery and aircraft folders over to the new drive. As far as I can tell, everything is working well.

• Upvote 2

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset