Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Whoohoo! There is a PC God!

My 4.4y/o ASUS P9X79 WS mobo died a month ago and as it was out of warranty I decided to see if ASUS could fix it anyway.  For $140 they sent me what I assume is a refurbished P9X79 WS (different serial #).  I put everything back together today voila, all's exactly as it was!  Getting the same overclock now that I was previously, I of course was able to pick up right where I left off and avoid the big reinstall of P3D and all the addons, and a 2nd SSD full of other w/ other stuff.  Whoohoo!  It was nice to be certain it was the mobo and not my trusty 3930K which now once again humming along at 4.4Ghz as it had for all of those hours.  I have A LOT of hours on this system and it lives on!   Nice not to have to throw away 32Gbs of fast DDR3 ram as well.  And the PSU is still going strong!  I really wanted to wait until Threadripper before doing the next build, and as we know compared to past eras CPU upgrades are truly underwhelming.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Glad for you. In this mean old world, always good to rejoice when some thing good happens to some one. Have a great week end.

Vic green

Been following your saga, so congrats on getting your system back as it was.  Agree about recent CPU performance being underwhelming.  But that strategy makes Intel money. :biggrin:

Greg

My Asus Z87 sabertooth motherboard died last year, so I know the struggle.  It's one thing to know for certain which hardware component failed (like memory, monitor, etc...) but the guesswork and troubleshooting can be painful.   At the time it happened I was hoping it was simply a DVI cable gone bad, as the monitor was just showing no signal and the computer itself was still humming along.   Upon closer inspection I noticed that only 2 chassis fans were spinning, so the pc was apparently in some kind of half sleep mode or something, but I could not easily diagnose as I did not have access to an extra monitor or any other components to test.   After shutting down the pc, I noticed the computer would power on but would not POST.    I was in flightsim hiatus at the time, and since I mostly used my Ipad to browse the internet and had barely used my pc, and was not in the mood for a drawn out pc troubleshooting project, I avoided the situation I was in, for almost 2 months!   

I was ultimately motivated to get back to figuring out what was wrong, as part of me was worried that I may have suffered a power surge issue that destroyed a component(s) or worse, irreplaceable data, so I wanted to know for sure what happened to get some closure.   Long story short, one of the error indicator lights was showing a serious hardware fault, and after SOME extensive research I made an educated guess that the mobo just died.   I bit the bullet, found a used Z97 sabertooth board online and low and behold, I got my beloved pc back!   

I had my head in the sand for the better part of 2 months partly because I lost interest in simming for a few years prior to the incident, but mostly because I was afraid to confront the fear of seeing data I may not have backed up potentially lost and I didn't want to shell out the money to get a replacement part.   If tablets/ipads/smartphones did not exist the sense of urgency would have been much greater.  

Thanks guys I was really missing it.  I took my first flight picking up where I left off w/ FSCaptain, and that would be departing from PHTO arriving at PHLI.  I'll be tickled if I can get another 6 months out of it but who knows could be another couple of years!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X