Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Procedures and Gyros Question

My first flight followed the tutorial and I used AFE quite a lot. It was fine but AFE is not really my thing. I really want to learn to fly this thing. 

Second flight, I followed the normal procedures. There were a few things in there that didn't correspond to the diagrams starting on page 25, however. 

• Inverter switches—all. three “ON.”
    • None of them have an "on" position, so I assumed it to mean the option that wasn't "off" or "standby" - right?
  • Starting engines sections don't mention the boost switch, however, I found I could never start the engines without it also being on. 
    • The power plant section does imply that the boost switch must also be on so I am guessing that's right
  • Blowers—”HIGH” then “LOW.”
    • Where are these?
  • How does one adjust the altimeter setting for cabin pressure?

The only problem I had in flight that I couldn't find an answer to in the POH was that both my Gyro Compasses stopped working. They just froze at about 150. Flipping the cutoff switch didn't allow me to manually adjust it either. I was reading the manual a great deal so I can't say for sure when they stopped working. Magnetic compass was fine, and all other instruments worked fine as well.  

Also, possibly related, when I turned the autopilot on it started an immediate hard left turn. Switching to localizer mode got it to track in on a VOR, but the Gyropilot mode was unusable.

Noah Bryant

1 hour ago, NoahBryant said:

My first flight followed the tutorial and I used AFE quite a lot. It was fine but AFE is not really my thing. I really want to learn to fly this thing. 

Second flight, I followed the normal procedures. There were a few things in there that didn't correspond to the diagrams starting on page 25, however. 

• Inverter switches—all. three “ON.”
    • None of them have an "on" position, so I assumed it to mean the option that wasn't "off" or "standby" - right?
  • Starting engines sections don't mention the boost switch, however, I found I could never start the engines without it also being on. 
    • The power plant section does imply that the boost switch must also be on so I am guessing that's right
  • Blowers—”HIGH” then “LOW.”
    • Where are these?
  • How does one adjust the altimeter setting for cabin pressure?

The only problem I had in flight that I couldn't find an answer to in the POH was that both my Gyro Compasses stopped working. They just froze at about 150. Flipping the cutoff switch didn't allow me to manually adjust it either. I was reading the manual a great deal so I can't say for sure when they stopped working. Magnetic compass was fine, and all other instruments worked fine as well.  

Also, possibly related, when I turned the autopilot on it started an immediate hard left turn. Switching to localizer mode got it to track in on a VOR, but the Gyropilot mode was unusable.

Noah,

Inverter Switches to Normal position, ie up position

Starting engines, Section V of POH, page 201, item 5 Fuel Booster pump for engine starting -> LOW

Blowers -> Engine Super charge controls, the four switches next to the cowl flaps

Cabin Pressure -> POH page 33, dial No236. It has two rotary knobs. Move the right one and the FLIGHT needle starts to move, as soon as it passes the 10 mark the cabin needle starts to move as well. Set the flight needle to the altitude/FL you intend to fly and the cabin needle will point the target cabin altitude for that height. Just fly normally and the aircraft will handle the press of the cabin. Just monitor to make sure everything works ok. Also covered on the Intro doc page 34.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks Chris!

Yes, I did pressurize the cabin per that section but one of the items says set the altimeter to 29.92. But now I realize that since it's always supposed to be at 29.92 PMDG didn't make the knob functional. 

I appreciate your input, you nailed it!

Noah Bryant