Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

PMDG DC6B Released for P3Dv4

I already own this on X plane but I never really warmed up to that platform so it's on my short list to buy.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

There are very few things in common with the XPL version and this one, especially in P3Dv4.  First and foremost is the sound, the sounds are probably the best sounds ever realistically created for any simulator ever.  Second, a much improved FDE thanks to Alex Metzinger who joined PMDG for this project.  This airplane is a simple joy to fly.  Forget A/P (it has the old original Sperry which was a great A/P in its day) and forget GPS.  This is a pilots aircraft.  Am I biased, only because I fly a twin prop in the real world.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

6 hours ago, Jim Young said:

So far I like it and have it in my hangar.  By accident, I figured out how to get the yoke to work.  When I first loaded the aircraft at KIAD, Wash Dulles, I was able to take off with minimal flaps and I was totally amazed how it went straight down the middle of the runway did not pull to the right or left.  Using the flaps I got the aircraft off the ground but then wanted to stear it over to Reagan National.  Nothing.  Aircraft would not turn but continued to climb.  That's when I discovered you had to do something different to get the yoke to operate.  Looked for instructions on board or in the menu and found none but, saw a lot of stuff to push and pull near the pilots seat and wa la, the yoke worked!   Wish the extensive documentation I found today in the PMDG DC6 directory was linked to the PMDG Ops Center like the other PMDG aircraft but it is in the PMDG directory and it looks quite thorough.  Looks like they have a nice tutorial from Portland, Oregon to Seattle over Orbx PNW scenery and I definitely will be doing that.  They have another one from KSEA to CYVR (Vancouver) which I will try too.  Always fun to learn new things.... 

Best regards,

Jim

Might that be the gust lock Jim?

It can have disastrous consequences.......

Gust lock engaged

Cheers

Steve Hall

39 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Might that be the gust lock Jim?

It bit me a couple of times, the DC6 pilots on the team mentioned they always taxi with the gust lock on and keep it on until pretakeoff checks.  I always remove the gust lock in the Chancellor before engine start.  After not being able to advance throttles 2 & 3 for takeoff and facing the embarrassment of having to have fellow beta team members point out my error I have found it possible to remember the gust lock every time.

Dan Downs KCRP

40 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Might that be the gust lock

Sounds like that might be it.  But, as I stated, my aircraft went straight and took off with the lowering of the flaps a couple of notches.  I would have been okay if I wanted to go straight and maybe FL440. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi All

Flown both planes in P3Dv4 and P3Dv3.4 versions

These are fabulous planes with a bit more to flying them than the average Carenado/Alabeo

Very satisfying once mastered-just takes that bit more input from the "pilot" to get them into the air and down again in one piece

Takes your "simming" to the next level-great fun!

xxd09

I have both. As others have said: too early to give a definitive view.

I'd say they are similar in a number of ways. These are my top 2 developers and I think all their products are great. I'd say, if you like one, you'll like the other.

The Captain of the sky feature is a lot of fun, in the Connie. I love the banter and grunting from the FO and flight attendant. The career mode is cool too.

Yeah. They're both great. If you can live without going 385 knots, they should be in your hanger.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I own (almost) every single A2A aircraft and fly their GA offerings almost exclusively - I did not get the Strato or the Connie. I've never purchased a commercial airliner.

That said, I will be getting the 6. Looking forward to my first experience with a plane this size.

I got this one last night after working in the yard all day and drinking beer lol.

I take off out of klax 7l going to head to klas.

Take off perfect fantastic bird,passing 10,000 going to 12,000 the screen started going black.

The shape i am in i think some is wrong with this sim as in a bug,get mad and turn comp off.

Get up this morning and read the forms and find you i needed to turn on the oxygen lol.

you are not going to get that with modern tub-liners. looking forward  to many flights with this bird.

Thanks PMDG Best regards TedKiser

3 hours ago, frieone said:

Get up this morning and read the forms and find you i needed to turn on the oxygen lol.

Simply set the gauge for your flight altitude.  It pretty much does the rest.

Dan Downs KCRP

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

So far I like it and have it in my hangar.  By accident, I figured out how to get the yoke to work.  When I first loaded the aircraft at KIAD, Wash Dulles, I was able to take off with minimal flaps and I was totally amazed how it went straight down the middle of the runway did not pull to the right or left.  Using the flaps I got the aircraft off the ground but then wanted to stear it over to Reagan National.  Nothing.  Aircraft would not turn but continued to climb.  That's when I discovered you had to do something different to get the yoke to operate.  Looked for instructions on board or in the menu and found none but, saw a lot of stuff to push and pull near the pilots seat and wa la, the yoke worked!   Wish the extensive documentation I found today in the PMDG DC6 directory was linked to the PMDG Ops Center like the other PMDG aircraft but it is in the PMDG directory and it looks quite thorough.  Looks like they have a nice tutorial from Portland, Oregon to Seattle over Orbx PNW scenery and I definitely will be doing that.  They have another one from KSEA to CYVR (Vancouver) which I will try too.  Always fun to learn new things.... 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim...

I'm stuck over the Irish Sea...using the 'Y' and PgDn keys to turn...yep - mine also went straight down the centre line :laugh:

which lever released your yoke ? Been poking around the seat - no luck.

As for the sound of those radials - brilliant at full volume. Way to go !

..b..b..but ref 'RTFM'..haven't found it..yet...

Regards

Bill

Later....

Found it.

a bit naughty of PMDG to have the Gust Lock on as default :blush:
Brought back that nightmare of the DH4 Caribou accident back in '92...

On a more serious note - I would've thought that common sense would prevail...for the manufacturer (and I don't mean PMDG - the real world manufacturer) to install a fail safe device - to prevent an aircraft powering up when that lock was in place ?

Anyway - I cannot thank PMDG enough for this beautiful aircraft. Those memories keep flooding back....it is BEAUTIFUL. I'll hafta print out the manual for perusing in the 'library'...

Well done, PMDG.

I would recommend this aircraft to anyone over 10 years of age...when a plane WAS a plane...

Regards

Bill

Edited by BillCusick
I'm a fool...
  • Upvote 1

Interesting to read all your thoughts.

I cannot help thinking as much as I love PMDG work, I would buy it, fly nothing else for 2 weeks, then find it sits in the hanger for ever more. I like my VA's and tubes it just does not fit. But.....I know it would be a great PMDG aircraft. 

Very mixed feelings. It well could be the first PMDG aircraft I don't buy.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

This is the type of aircraft that a good recording program like FSRecorder was made for.  You perform a demonstration display at an airport (with a good couple of flybys), land it, press play on FSRecorder and watch and listen to the show.  Unfortunately FSRecorder no longer exists.

5 hours ago, BillCusick said:

Jim...

I'm stuck over the Irish Sea...using the 'Y' and PgDn keys to turn...yep - mine also went straight down the centre line :laugh:

which lever released your yoke ? Been poking around the seat - no luck.

As for the sound of those radials - brilliant at full volume. Way to go !

..b..b..but ref 'RTFM'..haven't found it..yet...

Regards

Bill

Later....

Found it.

a bit naughty of PMDG to have the Gust Lock on as default :blush:
Brought back that nightmare of the DH4 Caribou accident back in '92...

On a more serious note - I would've thought that common sense would prevail...for the manufacturer (and I don't mean PMDG - the real world manufacturer) to install a fail safe device - to prevent an aircraft powering up when that lock was in place ?

Anyway - I cannot thank PMDG enough for this beautiful aircraft. Those memories keep flooding back....it is BEAUTIFUL. I'll hafta print out the manual for perusing in the 'library'...

Well done, PMDG.

I would recommend this aircraft to anyone over 10 years of age...when a plane WAS a plane...

Regards

Bill

Where is it?

2 hours ago, newtie said:

Where is it?

Just to the right of the LH seat. It's that longish lever with the square 'loop'. Click on it, and it unlocks the lever.

Otherwise...

Regards

Bill