Sign in to follow this  

i7700K or Coffe Lake 4c ?

I bet i7700K will be faster on Prepar3d v3 and v4 cause Coffee Lake will have less Mhz, the ones which make fps in flight sims, cause extra cores are filled but not used.

Coffe Lake aka i8700K will have 6 cores ok, but the Engineering Sample is 3.7 Ghz, therefore it will be roughly around 3.8 Ghz base a 4.2 Turbo, definitely worst than Kaby Lake. The IPC will be the same of Kaby Lake, fact.

Better to buy i7700K or hope for a 4 cores Coffee Lake around 4.2 Ghz Base and 4.5 on turbo just like i7740 ? 

Thx 

https://ibb.co/ewOrjk

8 minutes ago, Mark II said:

That image made me laugh out loud... almost spewed my coffee all over the monitor.  Nice!

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

5 hours ago, dmiannay said:

That image made me laugh out loud... almost spewed my coffee all over the monitor.  Nice!

Same here! :laugh:

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Now that is funny! I don't care who you are.!! RedNeck schematic.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

6 hours ago, Mark II said:

I bet i7700K will be faster on Prepar3d v3 and v4 cause Coffee Lake will have less Mhz, the ones which make fps in flight sims, cause extra cores are filled but not used.

Coffe Lake aka i8700K will have 6 cores ok, but the Engineering Sample is 3.7 Ghz, therefore it will be roughly around 3.8 Ghz base a 4.2 Turbo, definitely worst than Kaby Lake. The IPC will be the same of Kaby Lake, fact.

Better to buy i7700K or hope for a 4 cores Coffee Lake around 4.2 Ghz Base and 4.5 on turbo just like i7740 ? 

Thx 

https://ibb.co/ewOrjk

Not sure how you're so confident of that fact. CL will be the further refinement of Intels 14nm+ process, and could well it's most likely that there'll be IPC improvements. They won't just churn out the same cores again after SL And KL.

Sounds like you are judging based on stock speeds, which is rather pointless. These things are meant to be overclocked, hence their unlocked nature. Finding the average overclocks for these things usually require some actual reviews and getting them in the user's hands. Personally, I think the CL 8700K is going to be the CPU to own when it releases. Refined process over the 7700K, two extra cores which doesn't add much to its overall heat -- Especially not when you delid it, then you'll end up with 6 cores running 4.8 on average I reckon. 5GHz+ on good samples. That's going to be a crackin' CPU, with a bit of future proofing as 4 cores is on the low end by today's standards with a reasonable price-tag. Even using a well-established platform meaning you'll have mature motherboards, BIOS revisions and some fast RAM available. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

"Future Proofing" is the way I roll when building new PCs.  Just because today's software isn't as good as it should be with high core counts, it will rapidly get better in the next couple of years and having extra cores is going to mean a lot.   The OS should also improve over the next 2 years and start doing a better job of managing multiple cores as the specific application forks new threads.

Use Prime95 for finding out the stable/unstable point of an overclocked CPU- it pushes a core HARD.  If you can get through 24 hours of Prime95 iterations on a warm day, you're good.

Mark