Sign in to follow this  
mij

Tutorial #1

Hi guys,

I just bought the DC-6 and am just starting to follow the 1st tutorial. Can someone point me in the right direction to find where the Tutorial #1 Flightplan is saved to.

I followed the instructions via menu/flight planner but am unable to find the flightplan anywhere. Are they installed in a specific file? looked everywhere but no luck.

Many thanks

Same problem here, so I made my own plan and loaded it into the GNS but it will not switch to the "map" screen using the tutorial instructions. 

I expect it will be my lack of experience with the gadget, so any advice would be appreciated.

John Anderson

Wouldn't have thought we were the only ones with this problem, hopefully someone will have the answer.

Meantime im going to do a reinstall of DC-6. I will let you know if this solve it.

Cheers

42 minutes ago, mij said:

Wouldn't have thought we were the only ones with this problem, hopefully someone will have the answer.

Meantime im going to do a reinstall of DC-6. I will let you know if this solve it.

Cheers

A reinstall is never advised unless specifically told to do so. Don't do it.

Also, FYI PMDG require full names in the forums.

Perhaps no-one else has tried the tutorial yet, it has only been out for p3d for a day, after all!

If the installer somehow did not put the flight plan file where it should be, I imagine in the "documents/prepar3D v4 files" folder, then it may be fixed in due course along with any, if any, little tunes-up that may be required to the p3D version of the DC6.

It is a shame not to be able to follow the tutorial through, as given, though.

1 hour ago, john1383 said:

It is a shame not to be able to follow the tutorial through, as given, though.

I don't follow.  The flight plan to be used is provided in the Tutorial, is there a reason you cannot use that?  My complaint was that there was a GPS flightplan... should follow I-5 to Seattle.  Keep the Pacific to the left, the Cascades to the right and fly from Mt Hood to Mt Rainer. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Glad I'm not the only one scratching their head on this as I can't find the flight plan file either... It shouldn't be too difficult to create your own flight plan file... They give us the route right in the tutorial text: KPDX..BTG.V495.SEA..KSEA

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

4 hours ago, john1383 said:

Has anyone found the flight plan file for the tutorial?

Page 6 of the Tutorial.  Missing flight plan is oversight, already owned up to by Kyle.  Fly from BTG to SEA..., don't make it complex.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think the tutorial waypoints of the ILS 34L aren't in P3Dv4 or the GPS, so a bit confusing trying to figure out the last part of the tutorial regarding descent planning. The other thing I noticed was if you use the Direct function to head to a waypoint, the DC6 GPS doesn't seem to sequence to the next waypoint once you reach it and I found myself circling the waypoints once I got to them. Seems like I had to edit the flight plan then reload it to delete unneeded waypoints and get it work. I haven't used the default GPS since FS9, so maybe just me.

It is all good though and I had a terrific flight. This aircraft hand flies wonderfully.  And the sounds are great. The AFE is a terrific idea and works well. Clearly a lot to learn here, lol.

Bill Barrette

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

2 hours ago, beachdog2001 said:

I think the tutorial waypoints of the ILS 34L aren't in P3Dv4 or the GPS

They are. When you push PROC on the GPS you can load an approach which will add those waypoints to the flightplan.

Marc ter Heide

2 hours ago, beachdog2001 said:

so a bit confusing trying to figure out the last part of the tutorial regarding descent planning.

Descent planning is not much more difficult than any other aircraft, just different numbers.  Say for example landing KSEA, elevation about 400 (required info). My method is to presume I want to be at pattern altitude five miles before the airport so my target is 1500 ft at SEAd5 (second piece of info is target altitude and distance from reference point).  Now that target is known check the "where are we," and say we are 9500 feet and SEAd75..., okay here we go:  Altitude loss is 8000 (9500 - 1500) so time required for descent based on 500 fpm is 16 min (it takes 2 minutes to descent 1000 feet so simply 2 x 8 for 8000 feet).  Almost there, now distance required based on time which is lets say it were 240 kts GS.  That is 4 nm/min... gotta be able to do time distance in your head:  240 divide by 60 is 4.  Now you have everything you need, you know you need 16 min to descend and you know you are going 4 nm/min so 4 times 16 (don't choke here) is 64 nm before target SEAd5 so start the descent no earlier than SEAd69. 

Determine your target, determine time based on altitude loss and 500 fpm then convert time to distance using the pilot part of the brain.  Your descent speed might be 210 kts GS so time becomes harder to work in the head so do it this way:  If 240/60 is 4 and 180/60 is 3, then 210 must be about half way so call it 3.5 and my calculator says exactly 3.5.  Now I only need 16 min times 3.5 min per mile is somewhere around 50 (calculator says 56).  Starting down at SEAd55 will work just fine.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 minutes ago, downscc said:

Descent planning is not much more difficult than any other aircraft, just different numbers.  Say for example landing KSEA, elevation about 400 (required info). My method is to presume I want to be at pattern altitude five miles before the airport so my target is 1500 ft at SEAd5 (second piece of info is target altitude and distance from reference point).  Now that target is known check the "where are we," and say we are 9500 feet and SEAd75..., okay here we go:  Altitude loss is 8000 (9500 - 1500) so time required for descent based on 500 fpm is 16 min (it takes 2 minutes to descent 1000 feet so simply 2 x 8 for 8000 feet).  Almost there, now distance required based on time which is lets say it were 240 kts GS.  That is 4 nm/min... gotta be able to do time distance in your head:  240 divide by 60 is 4.  Now you have everything you need, you know you need 16 min to descend and you know you are going 4 nm/min so 4 times 16 (don't choke here) is 64 nm before target SEAd5 so start the descent no earlier than SEAd69. 

Determine your target, determine time based on altitude loss and 500 fpm then convert time to distance using the pilot part of the brain.  Your descent speed might be 210 kts GS so time becomes harder to work in the head so do it this way:  If 240/60 is 4 and 180/60 is 3, then 210 must be about half way so call it 3.5 and my calculator says exactly 3.5.  Now I only need 16 min times 3.5 min per mile is somewhere around 50 (calculator says 56).  Starting down at SEAd55 will work just fine.

Thanks for explaining this! Very helpful!

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

The PROC button for ILS 34L doesn't add those waypoints in the tutorial because they aren't in the database, at least the one I have.

Thanks Kyle do that explanation. What was confusing was reading the tutorial and not finding the referenced waypoints  in the GPS or on the map as I was not looking at a current chart.  Took me a few minutes and a current chart to figure out what was going on. Didn't help that I was trying to do this, relearn how to use the GPS, and fly the plane at the same time, lol.

It is a good tutorial though. Learned a lot and got the plane down in one piece. I love how it flies by hand.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized