Sign in to follow this  
stewart1

737NGX Freezing after 5-10 minutes from fresh start P3Dv4

Hello all,

Hope someone can help. When starting P3Dv4 and selecting default 737NGX then selecting airfield. The sim starts ok and the plane loads as per normal. 

Take off and set manual Autopilot to fly various headings and clime to required altitude. Then after 5-10 minutes the sim freezes and there is nothing I can do but hold the power button in and start all over again. (The PC is brand new specially made for flight sim i7-770k CPU @4.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM GeForce GTX 1080Ti with Windows 7 professional) 

This is reproducible all the time and the freeze occurs quicker if you set up the FMC to control the flight (3-4 minutes)  and is very frustrating.

There does not seem to be any issues with my other aircraft when flown over the same scenery and same settings - Weather display ect.

Regards

Stewart Lunney

15 minutes ago, stewart1 said:

Hope someone can help. When starting P3Dv4 and selecting default 737NGX then selecting airfield. The sim starts ok and the plane loads as per normal. 

Take off and set manual Autopilot to fly various headings and clime to required altitude. Then after 5-10 minutes the sim freezes and there is nothing I can do but hold the power button in and start all over again. (The PC is brand new specially made for flight sim i7-770k CPU @4.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM GeForce GTX 1080Ti with Windows 7 professional) 

This is reproducible all the time and the freeze occurs quicker if you set up the FMC to control the flight (3-4 minutes)  and is very frustrating.

There does not seem to be any issues with my other aircraft when flown over the same scenery and same settings - Weather display ect.

FSUIPC autosave, most likely.

And it doesn't affect other aircraft because they're not saving the heaps of data that we save.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the help.

I don't have autosave enabled but i think I have found the problem which was overheating. I removed the cover and it ran ok for 45 minutes, so I need a bit more cooling.

Cheers 

Stewart 

6 hours ago, stewart1 said:

I don't have autosave enabled but i think I have found the problem which was overheating. I removed the cover and it ran ok for 45 minutes, so I need a bit more cooling.

Ah - yep. Thermal throttling will definitely do it.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm having the same problem with the freezes   I have tried in about six different flights from three different airports. the flight starts out fine and then seven minutes into the flight my computer Will just freeze up and I have to reboot.  I monitor my video cards temperature and it's in the safe range all the time but I noticed when this happens the video card useage varies from 100% down to 85% to 95% 100% back to 80% .  But on the last crash to desktop the video card never went over at 55%  I was flying in desert. I have tried  default aircraft and haven't had any issues.  My video cards and 980 TI and not overclock.  I have checked FSUIPC and I do not have auto save on.  I am not running any weather or addons like atc etc... any help or advice would be much appreciated then NGX is my favorite plane to fly and I'm new to P 3-D 

Thanks,

Tom Davis

On 7/21/2017 at 10:19 AM, stewart1 said:

Hello all,

Regards

Stewart Lunney

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

31 minutes ago, nocaltom said:

I'm having the same problem with the freezes   I have tried in about six different flights from three different airports. the flight starts out fine and then seven minutes into the flight my computer Will just freeze up and I have to reboot.  I monitor my video cards temperature and it's in the safe range all the time but I noticed when this happens the video card useage varies from 100% down to 85% to 95% 100% back to 80% .  But on the last crash to desktop the video card never went over at 55%  I was flying in desert. I have tried  default aircraft and haven't had any issues.  My video cards and 980 TI and not overclock.  I have checked FSUIPC and I do not have auto save on.  I am not running any weather or addons like atc etc... any help or advice would be much appreciated then NGX is my favorite plane to fly and I'm new to P 3-D 

Thanks,

Tom Davis

What cooling are you using on your CPU and what case do you have? Kyle mentioned thermal throttling which could affect the CPU causing it to throttle back. Could also be caused by incorrect thermal paste application or the cooler not seated properly.

6 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

What cooling are you using on your CPU and what case do you have? Kyle mentioned thermal throttling which could affect the CPU causing it to throttle back. Could also be caused by incorrect thermal paste application or the cooler not seated properly.

I'm using water cooling and monitor temps not seeing anything out of the norm.

Tom

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

15 minutes ago, nocaltom said:

I'm using water cooling and monitor temps not seeing anything out of the norm.

Tom

Have you stability tested your PC?

27 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Have you stability tested your PC?

Not since I built 1 year ago maybe I'll do it again. Never had any problems in fsx with more addons but I'll try.

thanks,

tom

Tom Davis

UAL440.png

I had my first freeze with P3DV4 and NGX a couple of days ago, but only happened once.I found that the temps on the CPU was the problem, as it closed in on max temp before throtteling. This was during climb, when landing lights were on, and I guess the DL + ActiveSky for P3Dv4 + ASCA made my GPU run hot. This is causing a chain reaction where the internal temps of the cabinet rises. Also, the summertime temps don't help. 

Probably have to re-evaluate the cooling, fan speeds etc.

So I found out what the problem was I had my i7 6700 K overclocked to 4.6 GHz. I brought this back down to 4.2 and the problem was solved. I had a few stutters but the flight went well . I have had this overclock for over a year and it worked fine In fsx  but I believe P3dv4 is more taxing on system.

Tom

Tom Davis

UAL440.png