Sign in to follow this  
caaront

Can you turn off the Rift, or do you always just let it sleep?

Love it, I don't see why folks think it's so poor in resolution, headsets and cellphones are nothing compared to OR, I am amazed.

One?

Does it stay in sleep mode all the time you are not using it?

Will it hurt to store it in the case while plugged in? Stays a little warm.

Can I turn it off in task manager?

Should I just unplug it and put it in the case when not using?

Would I have to put in my standing height again if I did disable it?

Thank you.

Aaron Tirrell

Already replied to your questions over in the Orbx forum :smile:

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I would like to know the answer to the OP question too, not everyone goes to the Orbx forum, or that forum or another forum, that's why I come to the Virtual Reality forum to learn a VR question.. I don't have time to lurk in every forum. :=)

For those without access to the Orbx forum, here is WebMaximus' reply to the OP over there (hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here at AVSIM).

The rift stays asleep as long as the sensor in the headset indicates it is not being worn.

I would not store it in the case while plugged in.

If plugged in it is always pulling at least a trickle-current

Unplugging it and placing it in the case is probably safest, but I use mine a lot, so it has a hanger on the wall.

Most games and the oculus home itself have a reset view button that will restore your view to zero for whatever position you are currently in.

24 minutes ago, Buziel-411 said:

For those without access to the Orbx forum, here is WebMaximus' reply to the OP over there (hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here at AVSIM).

Actually, that's my reply. :laugh:

No, I don't mind.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, wb5okj said:

I would like to know the answer to the OP question too, not everyone goes to the Orbx forum, or that forum or another forum, that's why I come to the Virtual Reality forum to learn a VR question.. I don't have time to lurk in every forum. :=)

Here you go Donald, a freshly baked copy of my reply over at Orbx :biggrin:

"Glad to hear you're happy with your new VR headset 

As for your questions the simple answer that I guess pretty much answers most of them is I've had my headset for more than 6 months now and I've never unplugged it since I first installed it. I do power off my PC every night though which of course also will power off the OR since it's connected to the PC. Or maybe it will still get some power via the USB ports...hmm...

Anyways I suggest you do the same because I haven't noticed any issues doing it like this and I never heard anyone saying you should unplug it once connected.

Edited to add that if you really want to be on the safe side I suggest you ask the same thing over in the OR forums. Also you might have noticed there's a small sensor in the upper and middle part between the displays. This is the sensor that will let the OR know if you wear it or not. You can try this by simply holding your finger close to the sensor fooling it to think you put it on. You will then see how the displays come on and likewise how they go off as soon as you take your finger away.

So...with this said I would say that the displays are never on unless you wear the headset as long as you don't cover this sensor which of course will not be the case if you just put the headset to sit on your desk when not used."

Richard Åsberg

Thanks a lot WebMaximus, I really appreciate the answer. I don't unplug my HDM its so on handy to get to the back of my computer, I do however power down the computer when I'm not using it. I turn off all power to the computer anyway. I only use VR for flightsimming, have never been into actual gaming, I might start with Robo Call however, LOL :biggrin:

14 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Actually, that's my reply. :laugh:

No, I don't mind.

Oops, my bad! I went to the thread with the same title as this one and assumed WebMaximus' just used a different username. :laugh:

5 hours ago, wb5okj said:

Thanks a lot WebMaximus, I really appreciate the answer. I don't unplug my HDM its so on handy to get to the back of my computer, I do however power down the computer when I'm not using it. I turn off all power to the computer anyway. I only use VR for flightsimming, have never been into actual gaming, I might start with Robo Call however, LOL :biggrin:

Not a problem Donald :smile:

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, Buziel-411 said:

Oops, my bad! I went to the thread with the same title as this one and assumed WebMaximus' just used a different username. :laugh:

Not sure I'm totally following but never mind :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

are you guys using the DK2 or the CV1?

I have the DK2 but was looking at maybe upgrading as the prices are coming down slowly. 

cant decide whether to wait for the next gen with 4k screen. 

regards.

• Upvote 1

I'm using the CV1, never had the DK2.

If you should get what is available today or wait for what will be released tomorrow is the everlasting question I guess valid in most situations within this business :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

Would really like a VR headset (Rift for instance)... money is the issue.

Just a question... does the Rift has batteries or is it wired?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471