Shaun Slade

BIRMINGHAM-SHUTTLESWORTH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, kmanning said:

Hi Shaun,

Where do I go to download the update? I don't see it on the SXAD website.

Ken.

I got mine from Simmarket.  The new installer is 1.3. 

I have to say, I flew around it several times yesterday and really enjoyed the view.  The look as you come in on final is nice and it's going to make some, otherwise, long flights short.  You can hop down to Birmingham on the way to Chicago or Florida.  Easy on frames.  SODE too.  The SXAD airports keep getting better and I like the support!  Love to see Norfolk get another look someday.

I posted a review at Simmarket.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I got mine from Simmarket.  The new installer is 1.3. 

I have to say, I flew around it several times yesterday and really enjoyed the view.  The look as you come in on final is nice and it's going to make some, otherwise, long flights short.  You can hop down to Birmingham on the way to Chicago or Florida.  Easy on frames.  SODE too.  The SXAD airports keep getting better and I like the support!  Love to see Norfolk get another look someday.

I posted a review at Simmarket.

Yes, that's where I downloaded mine. At first, I thought you go to the SXAD website, click on Support, and there would be an update button, but there was none. I went to SimMarket and the new installers was there, as you said. 

Ken.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaun,

I've noticed that the Default jetways and SODE jetways are overlapping, and I only want just the SODE jetway to show in the sim. Is there a way to turn off the default jetways so that only the SODE jetway shows up in the sim without the overlapping?  The only way I know to do this is to delete all the default jetways in ADE so that they won't show up in the sim.

I also found other problems that I should tell you about. First of all, if you make an approach on runway 24 using the ILS, you'll find yourself landing, or touching down about 2,400 feet too far down the runway. I opened the airport file KBHM_ADEX_SS.BGL in ADE and found the problem. The problem was that the glideslope is in the wrong location. But there's a reason for that and here's what happened. Several years ago, runway 6 / 24 was only 10,000 feet, and at the time, this would be the correct location. Now that the runway Is 12,000 feet, the glideslope will need to be re-positioned. I also found that the LOC for runway 6 is in the wrong location from the transmitter. And finally, the tower position is in the wrong location causing the tower view not to be correct. I made all the corrections using a satellite image and saved it in a file in case you want to look at it. I'll not only set the correct position but also set the correct height for the tower view.

Ken.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kmanning said:

Shaun,

I've noticed that the Default jetways and SODE jetways are overlapping, and I only want just the SODE jetway to show in the sim. Is there a way to turn off the default jetways so that only the SODE jetway shows up in the sim without the overlapping?  The only way I know to do this is to delete all the default jetways in ADE so that they won't show up in the sim.

I also found other problems that I should tell you about. First of all, if you make an approach on runway 24 using the ILS, you'll find yourself landing, or touching down about 2,400 feet too far down the runway. I opened the airport file KBHM_ADEX_SS.BGL in ADE and found the problem. The problem was that the glideslope is in the wrong location. But there's a reason for that and here's what happened. Several years ago, runway 6 / 24 was only 10,000 feet, and at the time, this would be the correct location. Now that the runway Is 12,000 feet, the glideslope will need to be re-positioned. I also found that the LOC for runway 6 is in the wrong location from the transmitter. And finally, the tower position is in the wrong location causing the tower view not to be correct. I made all the corrections using a satellite image and saved it in a file in case you want to look at it. I'll not only set the correct position but also set the correct height for the tower view.

Ken.

Good finds for us!  re: the jetways...are you sure you don't have another scenery active?  MyTraffic, for example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kmanning said:

Shaun,

I've noticed that the Default jetways and SODE jetways are overlapping, and I only want just the SODE jetway to show in the sim. Is there a way to turn off the default jetways so that only the SODE jetway shows up in the sim without the overlapping?  The only way I know to do this is to delete all the default jetways in ADE so that they won't show up in the sim.

I also found other problems that I should tell you about. First of all, if you make an approach on runway 24 using the ILS, you'll find yourself landing, or touching down about 2,400 feet too far down the runway. I opened the airport file KBHM_ADEX_SS.BGL in ADE and found the problem. The problem was that the glideslope is in the wrong location. But there's a reason for that and here's what happened. Several years ago, runway 6 / 24 was only 10,000 feet, and at the time, this would be the correct location. Now that the runway Is 12,000 feet, the glideslope will need to be re-positioned. I also found that the LOC for runway 6 is in the wrong location from the transmitter. And finally, the tower position is in the wrong location causing the tower view not to be correct. I made all the corrections using a satellite image and saved it in a file in case you want to look at it. I'll not only set the correct position but also set the correct height for the tower view.

Ken.

Hey Ken,

Damn! You're right about the touchdown point on 24, I thought I had corrected it, I must have not saved it after! For the next update I think!

 

And the v1.03 installer should have installed a dummy file over for the jetways. I don't get whats going on there.

But you should be able to go into the sxad\sxad kbhm folder, and run the "SODE JETWAYS" mini installer, like it describes in the installer manual, and this will get rid of the jetways so ony SODE will show! I don't get why the v1.3 installer didn't do that as default, I checked it and it should have, my bad.

 

Let me know how you get on!

 

Kind regards,

 

Shaun.

15 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I got mine from Simmarket.  The new installer is 1.3. 

I have to say, I flew around it several times yesterday and really enjoyed the view.  The look as you come in on final is nice and it's going to make some, otherwise, long flights short.  You can hop down to Birmingham on the way to Chicago or Florida.  Easy on frames.  SODE too.  The SXAD airports keep getting better and I like the support!  Love to see Norfolk get another look someday.

I posted a review at Simmarket.

 

 

Thank you Gregg, I am updating BNA, ORF and PNS next with SODE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shaun Slade said:

Thank you Gregg, I am updating BNA, ORF and PNS next with SODE.

Excellent.  Maybe you could find some 3D sailboats to put in ORF and do similar color correction.  :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shaun Slade said:

Hey Ken,

Damn! You're right about the touchdown point on 24, I thought I had corrected it, I must have not saved it after! For the next update I think!

 

And the v1.03 installer should have installed a dummy file over for the jetways. I don't get whats going on there.

But you should be able to go into the sxad\sxad kbhm folder, and run the "SODE JETWAYS" mini installer, like it describes in the installer manual, and this will get rid of the jetways so ony SODE will show! I don't get why the v1.3 installer didn't do that as default, I checked it and it should have, my bad.

 

Let me know how you get on!

 

Kind regards,

Hi Shaun,

Yes, I tried that. I ran the No_Jetways_for_SODE.exe and the default jetways are still there. I noticed the mini installer but wasn't sure what it's purpose was because I did not see that explained in the manual. I tried it anyway but it had no effect. Hopefully, you get it worked out. Regarding the Tower View and the LOC distance from the transmitter on the threshold side of 24, which is for runway 6, will you be correct that? I have mine corrected now and when I zoom out, I can see out the window of the tower and of course, I can see where the console would be. Regarding the position of the LOC for runway 6, the only thing that is wrong is the distance from the transmitter, which was repositioned when runway 6/24 was extended in around 2006. As far as it lining you up on runway 6, it's correct.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said, "let me know how you get on."

Ken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 2:33 AM, kmanning said:

Hi Shaun,

Yes, I tried that. I ran the No_Jetways_for_SODE.exe and the default jetways are still there. I noticed the mini installer but wasn't sure what it's purpose was because I did not see that explained in the manual. I tried it anyway but it had no effect. Hopefully, you get it worked out. Regarding the Tower View and the LOC distance from the transmitter on the threshold side of 24, which is for runway 6, will you be correct that? I have mine corrected now and when I zoom out, I can see out the window of the tower and of course, I can see where the console would be. Regarding the position of the LOC for runway 6, the only thing that is wrong is the distance from the transmitter, which was repositioned when runway 6/24 was extended in around 2006. As far as it lining you up on runway 6, it's correct.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said, "let me know how you get on."

Ken.

Hi,

There should be a file:

...SXAD\SXAD KBHM\scenery\KBHM_Terminal_Jetways.bgl

This should be a 2kb dummy file, maybe something has gone wrong in your case.

If you go ahead and delete that file, all should be well! Could you let me know it's size please in your case.

And yes I'll compile an update installer soon, I don't think it's necessary to recompile the whole installer until I have more bug fixes.

Kind regards,

Shaun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shaun Slade said:

Hi,

There should be a file:

...SXAD\SXAD KBHM\scenery\KBHM_Terminal_Jetways.bgl

This should be a 2kb dummy file, maybe something has gone wrong in your case.

If you go ahead and delete that file, all should be well! Could you let me know it's size please in your case.

And yes I'll compile an update installer soon, I don't think it's necessary to recompile the whole installer until I have more bug fixes.

Kind regards,

Shaun.

 

Hi Shaun,

Yes, I did move that file, KBHM_Terminal_Jetways.bgl to my desktop and it fixed the problem regarding the overlapping jetways when using the SODE. I was going to tell you that this file can be either moved or deleted and that would leave just the SODEs. But for those who preferred the default and static, I figured would have remove them so I never said anything about it and though I would wait until you fixed them. By the way, the file size I have is 1.51 KB. Is that correct? Yes, I agree with you. I would just wait until you have all the problems worked out and then compile it. Regarding the tower position, glide slope and LOC positions, If you want to refer to mine, I'll send it. I would like to send you photos or textures for the terminal because the colors are not quite correct. Let me know if you're interested.

Ken. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kmanning said:

I would like to send you photos or textures for the terminal because the colors are not quite correct. Let me know if you're interested.

Sure. I mean I tried to make them as close as possible with the reference photos I had, but I will try and make it look more realistic.

sxad at outlook.com

 

Kind regards,

 

Shaun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, Shaun Slade said:

Sure. I mean I tried to make them as close as possible with the reference photos I had, but I will try and make it look more realistic.

Hi Shaun,

I finally got KBHM installed and flew into it today.  Don't know about the ILS24 since I normally do RNAV approaches.  The SODE jetways worked ok and didn't delete anything?

NIce job, now to get KBNA and install it. :)

blaustern

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now