Sign in to follow this  
allisnotwells

PMDG Operations Center did not install with NGX

4 minutes ago, Best said:

I just upgraded to P3D v4 and installing my airplanes and not seeing the op center in the programs menu as well. I did disable my windows defender and firewall but still no luck. Is there something I am missing?

So that makes at least 5 of us now with fresh installs that are having this problem. Seems like something is up. 

Adam Wells

3 minutes ago, allisnotwells said:

So that makes at least 5 of us now with fresh installs that are having this problem. Seems like something is up. 

Adam Wells

Not really, because for the 5 people who are having problems, there are hundreds who are not having problems. There's clearly something specific to your systems that is causing this to not work. The updater only will not connect to the server if it's being blocked. The files will only not appear if something is deleting them.

Hundreds, try thousands.  The OC is used by all products so the user base is wider than any one product.  Once again, if the OC files are missing something removed them.  If the files are there but they do not communicate with their server then the communications is being blocked.  The best thing to do, after uninstalling any AV program except Windows Defender (not just turn off but uninstall, all AV programs have modules that load during boot... its the only way they can work effectively), is to submit a trouble ticket to PMDG Product Support.  Once in a while those support tickets will help reveal something like problems with Amazon cloud in West China.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, I submitted a ticket a few days ago, so far they don't have any suggestions that haven't already been tried here. I'll reiterate that at least in my case, this is a completely fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition with no other software besides Prepar3d v4 and PMDG NGX. I've disabled the built in Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and directly connected my computer to my cable modem, bypassing my router. This is as open a connection as you can get. If the connection is being blocked, it's either failing on the server side, or Comcast is blocking it on the ISP side.

As this is a fresh install, it's possible I'm missing a required runtime library that's not prompted for by the installer. Anyone know which libraries (java, old versions of Visual Studio, etc) are required for the updater to work?

My thanks to everyone who's trying to help!

3 hours ago, allisnotwells said:

As this is a fresh install, it's possible I'm missing a required runtime library that's not prompted for by the installer.

The same VS2015 C++ runtime modules as required by P3D..., the PMDG products are compiled with VS2015 which is what LM recommends for compliance with their SDK. The PMDG installer ensures the runtime modules are available during the installation.

Reinstalling Windows cannot solve the problem, and may introduce more problems.  Seems pretty drastic, when the OS is not the problem. Is your problem still that same as originally posted, ie the OC files are missing after installation? 

Dan Downs KCRP

I had the same problems which went away when I disabled "Internet Protocol V6" in my adapter settings.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

21 minutes ago, downscc said:

The same VS2015 C++ runtime modules as required by P3D..., the PMDG products are compiled with VS2015 which is what LM recommends for compliance with their SDK. The PMDG installer ensures the runtime modules are available during the installation.

Reinstalling Windows cannot solve the problem, and may introduce more problems.  Seems pretty drastic, when the OS is not the problem. Is your problem still that same as originally posted, ie the OC files are missing after installation? 

Thanks, I verified that VS2015 is installed and working. I reinstalled windows before I purchased Prepar3d v4 or the PMDG NGX. That wasn't to address any issues, just getting a fresh start with a new machine. And yes, the problem is as originally stated- I was able to download, install, activate and run the NGX with the house livery in Prepar3d v4 without issue. The aircraft itself works great.

I just can't get the Operations Center to install. The Operations Center Updater is present but fails to install the Operations Center itself. When running the update, I see the 'Connecting to Server' screen, the bar never fills, and then disappears after about two seconds. 

4 minutes ago, allisnotwells said:

I just can't get the Operations Center to install. The Operations Center Updater is present but fails to install the Operations Center itself. When running the update, I see the 'Connecting to Server' screen, the bar never fills, and then disappears after about two seconds. 

The NGX installs the OC, you shouldn't have to run the updater. The fact that the OC files are missing points to an AV software doing that.  Also, it is the AV that is blocking the updater from doing its job.  Be sure to open the control panel remove programs list and look for anything that looks like an AV program.

Dan Downs KCRP

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

The NGX installs the OC, you shouldn't have to run the updater. The fact that the OC files are missing points to an AV software doing that.  Also, it is the AV that is blocking the updater from doing its job.  Be sure to open the control panel remove programs list and look for anything that looks like an AV program.

Thanks again, there is no other antivirus installed besides the default Windows Defender which I disabled prior to installing the NGX. 

1 minute ago, allisnotwells said:

Thanks again, there is no other antivirus installed beside the default Windows Defender which I disabled prior to installing the NGX. 

So what is deleting those files?

Dan Downs KCRP

Just now, downscc said:

So what is deleting those files?

Ha, if I knew, then I wouldn't be here. Anyone know if the files are actually included with the installer, or does the installer just install the updater which then calls out to download the Operations Center? 

1 minute ago, allisnotwells said:

Ha, if I knew, then I wouldn't be here. Anyone know if the files are actually included with the installer, or does the installer just install the updater which then calls out to download the Operations Center? 

I have deleted and installed PMDG products hundreds of times as a beta tester and I cannot answer that with certainty. It might simply install the updater and invoke it during the product installation, in which case a blocked communication would then result in what you are seeing.  Good point.  Change the question to what is blocking your communication?

Dan Downs KCRP

It's not recommended to disable TLS 1.0 or 1.1
Enable all tls versions and be sure only to disable SSL 3.0

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

9 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

It's not recommended to disable TLS 1.0 or 1.1
Enable all tls versions and be sure only to disable SSL 3.0

Damn, tried this too. still no luck.

After trial and error attempting every possible combination I could think of, finally got it to work. I think the linchpin and most important for anyone who is having trouble is disabling IPv6 on your Nic. The final successful combo for me for those still having trouble is:

Enable Make this PC discoverable

Disable Windows 10 Firewall

Disable SSL 3.0

Disable IPv6 under Ethernet Properties

Port Forward 8888 on your router

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!