Sign in to follow this  
vatsim5

P3Dv4 shows as running in Task Manager

My P3Dv4 starts and then disappears.  It shows running in Task Manager but the window cannot be found. I have tried cascading and then stacking windows but it does not show anywhere.  Anyone have any idea.  Is there some type of log file showing the problem.   Thanks.  

Harv Stein  zeide49@gmail.com    Founder VATSIM

Hi,

Do you have a P3D icon on the taskbar? If so, try Shift+right click on the icon and select 'restore' or 'maximize'.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

I will give that a try.  Thank You

There is no icon on the task bar yet I just checked Process Explorer and Task Manager and both show that P3Dv4 is running yet I cannot see a window with it. 

This behavior can be caused by trying to start P3D by double-clicking a *.fxml (scenario or saved situation) file that involves any of the PMDG aircraft.  Just throwing this out there as a possibility since the exact same thing happens to me when I do that.  Of course, it is very possible you could have a completely different issue.

If what I described is your specific issue, here's a link to a post with a workaround.  Go to the last post in the thread.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Do you have any add-ons installed and if so, are you sure they are all 64-bit compatible? You could try to disable all your add-ons and then enable them one by one to find the culprit.

Maarten

Back tracking a bit,  all was working fine with my PMDG aircraft and my orbx scenery. No issues at all, however I updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest version and that is when the problem started.  Hope this helps. 

Rolling back your NVIDIA driver does not help?

I tried rolling back the nvidia drivers but that did not help. The only addons I have are ORBX scenery for P3Dv4 and PMDG 772 for P3Dv4.  What does it mean to start the sim from an FXML file?  

Hi ?,

If you don't know what an .fxml is, then that's not the cause of the problem. An .fxml file is a saved flight/scenario. If you double click an .fxml file, it will start P3D and load this saved flight.

I suggest you uninstall your P3Dv4 client from the control panel, download the latest client installer from you LM account (if you haven't already done so) and install that. If that does not work, I suggest you go to the official P3D forum and post your issue there.

Maarten

• Like 1

With P3Dv4, whenever you save a situation, or save a flight, an .fxml file is saved in your "\\...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files" directory, or the corresponding directory for your simulator version.  In FSX, as well as P3Dv2.5 and earlier, you could double-click one of those files and the sim would open to the Scenario Setup screen from where you could then load the saved flight.  It was discovered a couple years ago that you would end up consuming ~200MB-300MB less VAS by doing this, so many simmers started using this "trick" to start their flights.  

Beginning with P3Dv3 and up, this ability was broken when used with .fxml files created with PMDG aircraft.  If you try it, P3Dv3/4 starts to load, but then disappears from the desktop, but remains running in Task Manager.  The workaround I mentioned above "fixes" the problem.

Granted, now with P3Dv4 we no longer have VAS concerns, but many folks like to have saved scenarios with their aircraft located at a specific airport/gate, and simply start from the .fxml file to get things rolling.

Definitely not a huge issue, rather a nice-to-have for those who prefer this type of workflow.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Hi,

I had the same problem. After a lond surch, i found "my" guylty : the last version of FSUIPC. I reverted to 5.103 and now, it works.

Yves

Yves SAMUEL

ELLX

Removed and reinstalled P3D v4 and it now displays on my monitors.  Working just fine but I would hate to have to do this every time I want to fly.  Not sure what in the reinstall fixed the problem but it works. Maybe a corrupt file.  Just not very tech savvy at 68 years old.  Thanks for everyone's help.   Harv Stein

Don't remove and install software to troubleshoot... the problem is still there and all you did was potentially create new problems.

Someone earlier recommended you eliminate your addons, which is excellent advice you should follow.  Something is that P3D wants to load is not starting and so P3D is caught in an appHang... just waiting for whatever it is to finish.  Get rid of whatever it is.  Try some troubleshooting.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan, I will start removing addons if it happens again.  Appreciate the help.  Thanks  Harv Stein