Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Strange lighting issue P3D v4

Hi guys

Is this normal behaviour?  When I pan around the light source changes from light to dark.  I use Ezdok but the video demonstrates the same change of light in the Locked Spot view as well.  At first I thought it was a configuration issue with PTA but I have reverted back to default setup in this regard but the problem persists.  The time in the sim is about 19:30GMT if that makes any difference.  I've not done extensive testing during different parts of the day to see if I can isolate the issue yet.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thomas Derbyshire

Glad its not just me then matey!  Had any luck troubleshooting or is this a LM bug?

Thomas Derbyshire

Yeah, it's normal. It's because you are in a cloud shadow, then look away from said cloud it stops rendering, i.e being culled for performance reasons, then the shadow also disappears. Get the cloud back into view and the shadow re-appears. It's an issue that goes all the way back to the implementation of cloud shadows and I doubt it'll ever be fixed. One can hope though, as it's very annoying. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

urgh that's pretty bad then.  I'm new to P3D, jumped across from FSX SE.

Thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

On 7/22/2017 at 3:27 PM, sidfadc said:

Had any luck troubleshooting or is this a LM bug?

Thomas: do everybody a favor and post this over at LM and see if anyone can/will look into it. We may have a better chance if LM themselves sees this...

• Upvote 1

Definitely post on the LM forum, they may eventually get round to it some day.. The more people that complain about it the better! :)

Ok will do thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

It's my biggest gripe. (quietly, of course)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Yup, it's a bit of a bummer for sceenshots I've found, just when the lighting looks great, you tweek the viewpoint to get a nicer angle on spot view and suddenly the lighting isn't as pleasing from the new angle. It's not a showstopper, but it could do with perhaps some kind of blending from one setting to the other when the viewpoint shifts.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It's indeed my most annoying thing in P3D... this and the cloud shadows sometimes popping in and out when you pan the view around which i assume is related... they should add a quality slider to draw more shadows should your hardware be capable to try and alleviate this... we can but dream anyways..

• Upvote 1

Fair enough. In the outside view. But exactly the same happens in VC. And even worse, also the cloud ground shadows further away from your plane show this behaviour...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Yea im definitely going to post over at LM.  Real immersion killer.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

So posted over at LM and got a reply saying PTA could be the issue.   I've restored default shaders and will investigate further.

Thomas Derbyshire