Sign in to follow this  
Sekkha

Strange AP/AT behaviour on approach (VNAV/LNAV/AT) - P3DV4

19 hours ago, Suniram said:

Is there anybody else who would be so friendly to explain to me what I did wrong as I still dont understand it (without trying to make me pass an exam please!)

Hi Marinus,

Yes sometimes people can be unnecessarily harsh or preach unhelpful things like "Fly the plane, you child of Magenta".

In addition to the stuff you have learnt here, Simon and some others answered some questions I had about an RNAV approach in LNAV/VNAV a few weeks ago too, along a similar theme to yours, involving a 90 degree turn.  You might find it useful for reference:

Cheers,

Rudy

'm with Dan on this, you're problems seem to extend from your technique, not from the aircraft. There's been no other reports of this happening that I'm aware of so I think we can safely rule out the 747 being the issue here.

OK, so we could maybe conclude that for the mayority of you a VNAV misscalculation of 8000 ft due to a 180° turn in a procedure is just expectable and acceptable "dumbness of VNAV"

I have certainly no problem with that at all,  but I just do not agree. I think it must be possible to get that better....

Yes sometimes people can be unnecessarily harsh or preach unhelpful things like "Fly the plane, you child of Magenta".

Thanks Rudy for your comment and the link.

Yes, communication is not always an easy task, especially not on forums and chats and so....

But anyway thanks to anybody envolved in this discussion !

Cheers

4 hours ago, Suniram said:

but I just do not agree. I think it must be possible to get that better....

The procedure could have been better designed by the TERPS team that did it for whatever authority has that jurisdiction too, but they didn't so bottom line is you get to simulate being a pilot... I mean that with all the kindness I can find to encourage you to learn the skills necessary to navigate and negotiate difficult situations.  Do not rely on the automation.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I mean that with all the kindness I can find to encourage you to learn the skills necessary to navigate and negotiate difficult situations.  Do not rely on the automation

Dan, I do not doubt your best intentions, not at all :smile:

And I agree with you that this procedure seems to have been designed by ...... :)

But we are going in circles....I mean, there is no real need for me to learn any skills nor do I need to be encouraged to use them..... its just very easy to use other AP-modes - or even handfly, I can do that whenever I want without any problems, and its more, the vast mayority of years of my simming carreer I didnt even have VNAV and I always managed to fly my approaches with the most basic AP functions...

The thing is just: Are the VNAV/LNAV functions modeled as good as it gets or is it improvable..?

As I stated somewhere else I love this aircraft simulation. But there are also some things which I would love to see improved. One is LNAV (which seems to be reported already) and VNAV.

And the other (I mentioned that in another thread already and I know that many of you wont agree, but thats OK) is generally speaking the pitch behaviour of the AP, which sometimes is very jerky, rocking up and down too much and to quickly (or jerkyly) on the speed-by-pitch modes...., this is a little immersion killer for me as it doesnt give the feeling of such a heavy aircraft....(But its not always happening,   so I can live with it...)

Its just that.......

1 hour ago, Suniram said:

Dan, I do not doubt your best intentions, not at all :smile:

And I agree with you that this procedure seems to have been designed by ...... :)

But we are going in circles....I mean, there is no real need for me to learn any skills nor do I need to be encouraged to use them..... its just very easy to use other AP-modes - or even handfly, I can do that whenever I want without any problems, and its more, the vast mayority of years of my simming carreer I didnt even have VNAV and I always managed to fly my approaches with the most basic AP functions...

The thing is just: Are the VNAV/LNAV functions modeled as good as it gets or is it improvable..?

As I stated somewhere else I love this aircraft simulation. But there are also some things which I would love to see improved. One is LNAV (which seems to be reported already) and VNAV.

And the other (I mentioned that in another thread already and I know that many of you wont agree, but thats OK) is generally speaking the pitch behaviour of the AP, which sometimes is very jerky, rocking up and down too much and to quickly (or jerkyly) on the speed-by-pitch modes...., this is a little immersion killer for me as it doesnt give the feeling of such a heavy aircraft....(But its not always happening,   so I can live with it...)

Its just that.......

Do you have real world 747 experience to justify your claims that there is something wrong with LNAV, VNAV or pitch behaviour of the aircraft?

Have a look at your sim to "YourSim"\PMDG\SIDSTARS\LEMG.txt

Manfred Maier

Regards

Manfred Maier