Sign in to follow this  
MatzeH84

True original version with old radios?

It would be really nice if you could take a version/ panel setup into consideration, which removes all the modern avionics and makes the original radios work. It just doesn't feel right to simulate vintage airliner service using radios from the 80's.. of course I don't know how much effort it would take, but maybe you could think about it.

Instead, adding a LORAN simulation would be amazing, maybe as a small paid addon ;)

• Upvote 5

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

I had the exact same thoughts. Not used to "inop" switches in PMDG aircraft.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

The reason that is not done is that the frequencies that the old radios tune to are out dated and no longer used..  They are 100% obsolete and useless, unless you want to talk to the ghosts of the past :)

• Upvote 1

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

29 minutes ago, MatzeH84 said:

It would be really nice if you could take a version/ panel setup into consideration, which removes all the modern avionics and makes the original radios work. It just doesn't feel right to simulate vintage airliner service using radios from the 80's.. of course I don't know how much effort it would take, but maybe you could think about it.

As Vin mentioned, the old radios wouldn't do you any good, even if they did work.

29 minutes ago, MatzeH84 said:

Instead, adding a LORAN simulation would be amazing, maybe as a small paid addon ;)

LORAN would essentially be putting you back into the 80s, though, so I'm confused here.

Moreover, there's no infrastructure in the sim to support this.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

LORAN-C went operational in 1957, not in the 80's. Commercial aircraft used it from the early-mid 60's on. A bit late for the DC-6, but still in its time.

Regarding the radios, one could keep the original look and make them compatible in the frequency band. Works, and still feels vintage enough. But LCD displays just feels wrong.

Of course there should be the option to operate it in our time (with all the avionics you provided, including the GPS), but for the vintage lovers the old radios adapted to the current sim environment would be very appealing.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

I had hoped to see old style Radios too.

Just look how they are done in A2A aircraft ir the Aerosoft Catalina.

LORAN could be done too and the stations added. I have made that in my freeware "Weather ships Gauge" that can be downloaded in the A2A Stratocruiser and Constellation forums. I will see if I can make a version for the DC-6B, if there is interest from the Community.

• Upvote 2

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

4 hours ago, Wothan said:

LORAN could be done too and the stations added. I have made that in my freeware "Weather ships Gauge" that can be downloaded in the A2A Stratocruiser and Constellation forums. I will see if I can make a version for the DC-6B, if there is interest from the Community.

Please do. :)

Having used it for both the Connie and 377 when crossing the pont, I would definitively like to see it for the '6' as well. Really great work!

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

15 hours ago, vscimone said:

The reason that is not done is that the frequencies that the old radios tune to are out dated and no longer used..  They are 100% obsolete and useless, unless you want to talk to the ghosts of the past :)

Strange...

Looking at those old style dummy radios, I see that both the ADF 1+2 and NAV 1+2 indicate the frekvency range(s) that also is used in P3D.

Both NDB and VOR radio beacons where setup in large scale from the mid fifties and both hwere in widespread use in the sixties, so offcourse even the dummy radios in the PMDG DC-6B could have been made operational within P3D without any loss of realism.

That said I find it legible if PMDG says that the current radio setup has been a design decisision and simluting the old radios never has been, or is planned - I can perfectly live with that.

• Upvote 1

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

5 hours ago, Wothan said:

Strange...

Looking at those old style dummy radios, I see that both the ADF 1+2 and NAV 1+2 indicate the frekvency range(s) that also is used in P3D.

Both NDB and VOR radio beacons where setup in large scale from the mid fifties and both hwere in widespread use in the sixties, so offcourse even the dummy radios in the PMDG DC-6B could have been made operational within P3D without any loss of realism.

That said I find it legible if PMDG says that the current radio setup has been a design decisision and simluting the old radios never has been, or is planned - I can perfectly live with that.

I don't agree, The ADF could be used today, but the primary nav radios on the lower pedestal above the mixtures are radio range receivers (LFR, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_radio_range) and this is to what Vin was referring.  Also the comm radios use preset channels and I have no idea how many crystals they were preset with but I am pretty sure they were using 50 kHz comm channels back then and now we are down to 12.5kHz channels.

The design goal stated by PMDG was to model an actual DC-6 in service today, down to the details of the radios and even replaced gauges.  I think this is in the introduction.

Dan Downs KCRP