Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Upgraded from 3930K to 7740X - WOW

Pulled the trigger finally and upgraded from my x79 Asrock Extreme9/ I7 3930K to the X299 platform  - Asus ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming with the highest single threaded speed processor The I7-7740X. 1 click of the mouse was all it took to OC it to 5Ghz using the ROG software.

Word of warning if you ever install a Corsair H115   - Nowhere in the instructions does it say to plug in the SATA cable to anything, but if you don't  it won't work,

I had great trepidation that it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade or maybe only a few FPS at best and I couldn't be happier that I was wrong. I was on the fence quite a while to get a 7700k or a 7800X or 7820X but after LOTS of reading the 7700K was still marginally better for less cost when running games and sims. The 7740X was just what I was looking for as it is the same cost as a 7700K ( I actually got it a bit cheaper due to a sale)

In P3DV4 there was a monster FPS jump. At this stage I've only put back FTX Global, payware aircraft, a few airports and adjusted the graphics settings a bit.  For the first time ever I've seen the NGX run at 80-90 FPS with no lag , blurries or stuttering. On my old system overclocked to 4.4 Ghz at best I could hope for 35 or 25 locked in high congestion areas.

Almost loathe to start putting back all my payware airports but so far I've tested at KTNP and KMBS and so far so good.

Oddly I didn't get as big of a FPS boost in X-Plane 11 but the performance is noticeable none the less. Still cannot push it higher than 4xSSAA in HDR mode ( HDR + ambient occlusion still costs about 30 FPS on a 1080 GTX.)

In most cases with my old system on XP I would hit the vsync limit and sit at 30 FPS all day. WIth this new system it's mostly at 60 or slightly lower with occasional drops to 30. Without vsync there is terrible tearing but it has always been that way on XP.

Anyways just thought I'd post some of my experience for anyone else considering this platform - It's not bad at all coming from a 5 yr old system. I imagine it isn't any kind of upgrade if you already own a 7700K / Z270 but in my case I wanted a little future proofing  

• Upvote 1

Good to hear Slayer, for you and me. I have been happily plodding along at 4.5 ghz on my old 3770k as I can't make up my mind what processor I want to switch to. Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear you are pleased with the new system.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Slayer,

Thanks for the heads up.  I was having a discussion with a colleague a few days ago and he hinted that this may be a good choice to explore regarding my upcoming build in a few months, so your mini-review has helped to further entice me along that route.

Cheers

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

That's nice to hear now though I'm back on a resuscitated 3930K system and was getting ready to buy new parts if the repaired mainboard didn't transpire, but alas it did.

I'll still be going 7820X unless Threadripper turns out to be very competitive.  I'm a staunch believer in at least 6 cores for P3DV3 or 4 and expect that to only get better going forward.   PC nowadays can easily run 5y since performance gains in single core are really modest on a yearly basis.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I've been watching these 7740x threads with interest but could somebody please explain what the x299 platform does for you over the z270? 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Very nice rig ! I am wondering to do the jump from my current 3770K.

51 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I've been watching these 7740x threads with interest but could somebody please explain what the x299 platform does for you over the z270? 

Technically, nothing much, except for beeing very expensive and forcing you to rebuy another mobo.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

On 7/23/2017 at 1:01 AM, Slayer said:

Pulled the trigger finally and upgraded from my x79 Asrock Extreme9/ I7 3930K to the X299 platform  - Asus ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming with the highest single threaded speed processor The I7-7740X. 1 click of the mouse was all it took to OC it to 5Ghz using the ROG software.

Word of warning if you ever install a Corsair H115   - Nowhere in the instructions does it say to plug in the SATA cable to anything, but if you don't  it won't work,

I had great trepidation that it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade or maybe only a few FPS at best and I couldn't be happier that I was wrong. I was on the fence quite a while to get a 7700k or a 7800X or 7820X but after LOTS of reading the 7700K was still marginally better for less cost when running games and sims. The 7740X was just what I was looking for as it is the same cost as a 7700K ( I actually got it a bit cheaper due to a sale)

In P3DV4 there was a monster FPS jump. At this stage I've only put back FTX Global, payware aircraft, a few airports and adjusted the graphics settings a bit.  For the first time ever I've seen the NGX run at 80-90 FPS with no lag , blurries or stuttering. On my old system overclocked to 4.4 Ghz at best I could hope for 35 or 25 locked in high congestion areas.

Almost loathe to start putting back all my payware airports but so far I've tested at KTNP and KMBS and so far so good.

Oddly I didn't get as big of a FPS boost in X-Plane 11 but the performance is noticeable none the less. Still cannot push it higher than 4xSSAA in HDR mode ( HDR + ambient occlusion still costs about 30 FPS on a 1080 GTX.)

In most cases with my old system on XP I would hit the vsync limit and sit at 30 FPS all day. WIth this new system it's mostly at 60 or slightly lower with occasional drops to 30. Without vsync there is terrible tearing but it has always been that way on XP.

Anyways just thought I'd post some of my experience for anyone else considering this platform - It's not bad at all coming from a 5 yr old system. I imagine it isn't any kind of upgrade if you already own a 7700K / Z270 but in my case I wanted a little future proofing  

if your gonna go intel I think going to x299 platform is a better move then sticking w the z270( you can upgrade to  6+ core cpu)  I decided to go with ryzen 1700x w 1080ti build and just waiting for the parts to arrive. Both systems are future proof, I personally cant wait till XP goes vulkan and I can utilize all 8 cores and 16 threads, at that stage maybe sheer clock speed wont be as critical any longer. the other thing is ryzen performance depends on memory speed much more then the z270 chipset, there are huge performance gains at 3200mhz ram and up now that ryzen supports up to 4000mhz ram. Also the AM4 socket is staying till 2020 so any future ryzens will probably work w the current boards available. For me going ryzen freed up the extra cash to get me the 1080ti, going intel would have put me way over budget for the extra 5-10% frames....

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

6 hours ago, wiler said:

I personally cant wait till XP goes vulkan and I can utilize all 8 cores and 16 threads

Wow, tell me more about vulkan!  Sounds like what flight sims have been waiting for!  Can't wait to hear about your Ryzen system too!  One area that I find exceedingly disheartening is what Intel has done w/ thermal management.  If you think your 7740X clocked at 5.1Ghz running at a temp of 87C is going to last 5y, I'd say that is very wishful thinking.  I'd love to dump Intel since they decided to dump soldered IHS whereas AMD hasn't.  Go AMD!  I'd also love to dump P3D despite the fact I love it.  To upgrade to V4 would be a 3rd payment of $199!  That alone is ridiculous!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 7/30/2017 at 1:18 PM, Noel said:

That's nice to hear now though I'm back on a resuscitated 3930K system and was getting ready to buy new parts if the repaired mainboard didn't transpire, but alas it did.

I'll still be going 7820X unless Threadripper turns out to be very competitive.  I'm a staunch believer in at least 6 cores for P3DV3 or 4 and expect that to only get better going forward.   PC nowadays can easily run 5y since performance gains in single core are really modest on a yearly basis.

I was worried as well but  honestly this runs my sims as fast or faster than I had hoped. It felt like a downgrade to loose a few cores but from the other benchmarks I've seen the performance will be similar , so I took the savings from the 7820 and got a m2 SSD that plugs right into the motherboard directly and that thing is 4x faster than my other SSD's

Edit: was real close to a Ryzen system but opted for single core performance (with overclocking in mind) and it just fell short with limited OC capability. In  a few years we will see how it plays out as these other API's roll out but for now  single core perf is still king.

Well truly, it's all good.  I'm just tickled my old box is back to running strong with nothing other than a refurbished motherboard of the same model.   Didn't even need to reinstall anything!  Blessed!  I hope it lasts another 4y!  I do plan to move up on video cards though.  My old GTX Titan is showing its years.  I've also spent a great deal of time in the lovely Majestic Dash 8, which as you know makes old CPU's feel young again :biggrin:

Noel

On 7/22/2017 at 7:01 PM, Slayer said:

Just curious, what's the resolution that you run your sim at?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On 7/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, Slayer said:

In P3DV4 there was a monster FPS jump. At this stage I've only put back FTX Global, payware aircraft, a few airports and adjusted the graphics settings a bit.  For the first time ever I've seen the NGX run at 80-90 FPS with no lag , blurries or stuttering. On my old system overclocked to 4.4 Ghz at best I could hope for 35 or 25 locked in high congestion areas.... I imagine it isn't any kind of upgrade if you already own a 7700K / Z270 but in my case I wanted a little future proofing  

You're obviously tickled pink, but if you went from 35 or 25 locked to 80-90 in the same scenarios there is no way you can attribute this to your new CPU.  There are other major factors as it just doesn't add up in any universe as you're reporting a 300+% increase in performance on a CPU you'd be lucky to get 30% increase, which is 10x less than your reported improvement.   Plus, if 'future-proof' was part of the equation 4 cores very likely will not cut it in the future.    On your side however is the fact that change is slow so you may get 4-5y out of it any way, and quite clearly it's working well.

Noel

5 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Just curious, what's the resolution that you run your sim at?

3440 x 1440

Noel I think you mean he can't attribute the increase to JUST the CPU.  Of course having a new CPU (and the architecture) that comes with it caused the increase.   I'm not sure why people think CPU generations are such a linear performance increase (not claiming you think that just that i see that viewpoint expressed here frequently) - I've never seen that myself.  More of an exponential increase is normal to me.  I expect it again when I go to Kaby or coffee this year.  I'm using an "ancient" sandy bridge 2500K

its also difficult to judge because rarely do users go from a CPU at 4 Ghz to a newer CPU at 4Ghz.

anyway we're probably just thinking the same thing - that change in architecture (over the course of a few CPU generations) is causing a lot of the increase.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |