Sign in to follow this  
boez

Activation through whitelist proxy issue?

After buying the product a few weeks ago I had no problem activating on my sim PC via my Squid proxy running on a network connected PC as I simply added www.simtweaks.com to the whitelist. However with v2.5.2 that no longer works and I can see from the proxy log that PTA is not even attempting to connect, i.e. no entries indicating an internet access by PTA. I know you've changed the activation part of the code recently - could this be the cause? All I see in PTA is the "ERROR: activation failed: Server error" with no additional details.

Config:

SimPC running PTA -> Proxy PC running squid -> Network

Hi there,

The old method (prior to 2.52) was actually a direct request to the persons server who I purchased PTA from, so having our website on a whitelist wouldn't have made any difference regarding activation.

Try adding activation.simtweaks.com to your whitelist and see if that works.

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestion Matt but it made no difference. As I said, I can tell PTA is not even attempting to connect to *any* server via the proxy (I presume it uses port 80 or 443?) as the log file shows no blocked attempts from it doing so.

However I've successfully used a workaround which meant I ran and activated PTA on my proxy PC and by creating a registry entry which points to a copied over version of the HLSL folder I apply the tweaks and then copy it back. A bit of a faff but I hardly ever change my tweaks.

Edit: I have successfully activated ORBX and TFDI 717 via the proxy in the past so I know the technique works.

Well, at least you got it working :D

It's definitely an interesting way of having your network set up. Seems like a huge headache to me - I hope it's worth it :)

I'll try and replicate your scenario and see if I have any luck.

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

Thanks again Matt.

The fact I can control what applications (including MS's own apps) can or can't connect to the web from my flight sim PC gives me peace of mind :)

In fact until recently my flight sim PC had never been connected to the outside world as I run internet dependent apps on my internet connected PC, e.g. active sky. If a utility won't run via networked simconnect or fsuipc I don't use it. I view this PC as disposable and so any data loss due to malware would be negligible.

Sadly the main issues I have is with DRM protected aircraft which of course must be installed on the flight sim PC (TFDI design kindly modified thier installer for me) but hey i understand why you guys think it important to protect your IP while I think it's important to protect my home network :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.