Sign in to follow this  
wiler

Going from xp11 to P3dV4

Ive been using xp10/11 now for over a year and really love it but I wanted to give p3d one more chance because I used to use it since day 1 and fsx before that since FS95. I also wanted to fly the pmdg again and compare w the ixeg.  I installed FTX global and the LC on top fired it up and wow, its just so outdated feeling after using xp11.  Honestly I couldnt even stand it for more than 10 minutes and realized it was a huge mistake to spend $60. It really does look outdated and the flight dynamics are like being on training wheels....Im really not trying to bash p3d, V4 improved alot from when i left v3 (smoother, no need to tweak cfg, etc)  but after xp11 and its incredible lighting, ortho tiles, flight dynamics, roads/highways etc.... I just cant take the p3d seriously at this stage.  The naysayers of xp11 say theres a lack of 3rd parties, true. We havnt got the cream of the crop yet, but in time they will come. But there are plenty of quality addons to keep people satisfied until more show up to the party. People are slowly beginning to see the light over here and with the masses and money come the devs. Anyone else try p3dV4 since it came out?

• Upvote 2

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

20 minutes ago, wiler said:

Ive been using xp10/11 now for over a year and really love it but I wanted to give p3d one more chance because I used to use it since day 1 and fsx before that since FS95. I also wanted to fly the pmdg again and compare w the ixeg.  I installed FTX global and the LC on top fired it up and wow, its just so outdated feeling after using xp11.  Honestly I couldnt even stand it for more than 10 minutes and realized it was a huge mistake to spend $60. It really does look outdated and the flight dynamics are like being on training wheels....Im really not trying to bash p3d, V4 improved alot from when i left v3 (smoother, no need to tweak cfg, etc)  but after xp11 and its incredible lighting, ortho tiles, flight dynamics, roads/highways etc.... I just cant take the p3d seriously at this stage.  The naysayers of xp11 say theres a lack of 3rd parties, true. We havnt got the cream of the crop yet, but in time they will come. But there are plenty of quality addons to keep people satisfied until more show up to the party. People are slowly beginning to see the light over here and with the masses and money come the devs. Anyone else try p3dV4 since it came out?

Prepare for some hate, even though this is an X-Plane forum. BTW I agree, I "tried" it out using the one month dev license. I will not be re-newing it

• Upvote 5

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

39 minutes ago, wiler said:

I am a hardcore p3dv4 user.  I also have xp11 and use it occasionally.  I have to agree with u for the most part.  The thing with xplane I cant get past is the weather/clouds.  Even with Skymaxx or Xenviro it still doesn't even come close to what is possible with p3d.  That is the major show stopper for most people.  Also properly set up p3dv4 runs a lot more stable and smoother on my system. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

4 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I am a hardcore p3dv4 user.  I also have xp11 and use it occasionally.  I have to agree with u for the most part.  The thing with xplane I cant get past is the weather/clouds.  Even with Skymaxx or Xenviro it still doesn't even come close to what is possible with p3d.  That is the major show stopper for most people.  Also properly set up p3dv4 runs a lot more stable and smoother on my system. 

I agree enviro isnt up to par with Active Sky, but that wont keep me away from this sim with all the other things that it provides that p3d cant. For me theres several deal breakers on the p3d platform (inferior roads, dynamic lighting, night lighting, no sloped runways, lack of ortho)  I can  live with the relatively few limitations of xp11 (weather,atc) and major 3rd party support. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiler said:

i know that feeling :laugh::laugh::laugh: see my post here (third on the thread) just a few days ago.

• Upvote 1

Manuel Merelles

6 minutes ago, wiler said:

I agree enviro isnt up to par with Active Sky, but that wont keep me away from this sim with all the other things that it provides that p3d cant. For me theres several deal breakers on the p3d platform (inferior roads, dynamic lighting, night lighting, no sloped runways, lack of ortho)  I can  live with the relatively few limitations of xp11 (weather,atc) and major 3rd party support. 

I mostly never fly at night with p3d just because of the poor lighting.  I just started getting into ortho scenery and it is very impressive what can be done.  I think my GTX980 with 4gigs vram is really holding me back though.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

3 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

i know that feeling :laugh::laugh::laugh: see my post here (third on the thread) just a few days ago.

LM has no where else to take that sim. They will have to start from scratch. The future is here...I hope Laminar takes this opportunity and runs with it, its what weve all been waiting for, a true next gen sim. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, mpw8679 said:

I mostly never fly at night with p3d just because of the poor lighting.  I just started getting into ortho scenery and it is very impressive what can be done.  I think my GTX980 with 4gigs vram is really holding me back though.

This sim love Vram, I have a 980ti and it runs all 6GB all the time. Id say 8GB and no less is what you need.

11 minutes ago, wiler said:

LM has no where else to take that sim. They will have to start from scratch. The future is here...I hope Laminar takes this opportunity and runs with it, its what weve all been waiting for, a true next gen sim. 

Exactly. P3D is done, and I dont think LM is willing to invest in a rewrite. When you're used to XP11's exclusive features (Orthos are just one of many), P3D is a joke, that's no news in this forum. It will get you banned in the P3D forum. That's one of my guilty pleasure's though. 

• Upvote 3

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

4 minutes ago, wiler said:

This sim love Vram, I have a 980ti and it runs all 6GB all the time. Id say 8GB and no less is what you need.

Good to know.  Hopefully that explains my bad performance compared to p3d.  I have a 7700K at 4.9ghz so I know it isn't that. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

10 minutes ago, wiler said:

Using 8 Ai 737s, you can easily fill up 10GB. It's a little excessive, but then those are full planes not optimized for being used as traffic.

• Upvote 1

-

Just now, mpw8679 said:

Good to know.  Hopefully that explains my bad performance compared to p3d.  I have a 7700K at 4.9ghz so I know it isn't that. 

Im on a 6600k @ 4.7, my GPU is the bottleneck its always running at 100% and using all vram. Im waiting for the price of the 1080ti to drop or see how the new AMD runs. 

1 hour ago, wiler said:

Sounds like a typical shill post, of which there are many here and elsewhere. You just regurgitate xp ###### cliches about flight dynamics, ortho etc. If p3d was so bad for you before, why didnt you jump to xp earlier? Funny that you dont mention any of the many faults with xp like atc, weather, simple bugfixes that havent been applied yet. You sound sure that big name addons will come, but you have no proof of that. You are just dancing to the same shill tune.

The p3d forums will no doubt be a better place, until you predictably start trolling there and behaving like another well trained austinite. The minions are well trained and they deserve what they earn.

That said, I'm happy you have found a sim you like.

• Upvote 1

Weather (X-Enviro 1.07), Traffic (World Traffic 3.0) and ATC (124th ATC) will be superior to P3D within the next 12 months and make posts like the one above look very funny.

• Upvote 3

-

40 minutes ago, jenxy said:

Sounds like a typical shill post, of which there are many here and elsewhere. You just regurgitate xp ###### cliches about flight dynamics, ortho etc. If p3d was so bad for you before, why didnt you jump to xp earlier? Funny that you dont mention any of the many faults with xp like atc, weather, simple bugfixes that havent been applied yet. You sound sure that big name addons will come, but you have no proof of that. You are just dancing to the same shill tune.

The p3d forums will no doubt be a better place, until you predictably start trolling there and behaving like another well trained austinite. The minions are well trained and they deserve what they earn.

That said, I'm happy you have found a sim you like.

I did jump to xp10 in its earlier stages, at that time it wasnt the sim for me. With XP11 , the game has changed. I dont appreciate being called a shill...do you even know the meaning of a shill? lol. Im not trying to trick anyone into using xp11 in the xp11 forum.  Ive probably been simming longer with fsx/p3d then you have and at one time it was my preferred platform. The fact is I gave P3dV4 a chance, bought it and just dont enjoy it after simming w xp11 for nearly a year now. oh and i did mention specific cons to XP11, so not sure why the flaming nature of your post. If you cant handle that then thats quite ok with me. You can now go back to your p3d forum.