hi all

i have a probably noob question, but somehow I have never thought about it. I have 8 gb in my pc, I know the type etc, ans have found the 16gb variant of it. If I buy that one and add it to the 8 gb version, does that work./ help me in performance / RAM space?

vkr

victor

Victor Roos

I believe that it is usually best not to mix RAM unless it was bought as a kit. Even though you 8gb & new 16gb might be the same brand & frequency, they may not run perfectly together. Perhaps someone would like to correct me?

You could always put the 16gb in and see how it performs and if you really need the extra then add the 8gb in and see if it still plays OK.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

You're fine as long as it's the identical timing and frequency.

A lot of folks say it will do weird things if you mix brands, but that is mainly marketing hysteria and misinformation.

At the end of the day it's just electricity. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

1 hour ago, ZLA Steve said:

You're fine as long as it's the identical timing and frequency.

A lot of folks say it will do weird things if you mix brands, but that is mainly marketing hysteria and misinformation.

At the end of the day it's just electricity. 

so say, if cas latency of one is 11 and of the one I have is 8, that is bad ? Cause the mhz of one is 2400 and that is tempting :P

Victor Roos

It's not "Bad" per say, but your RAM won't run efficiently. Your motherboard will automatically default to the slowest stick.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

8 hours ago, Victoroos said:

does that work./ help me in performance / RAM space

victor

I am like you am confused about the benefit of extra ram & thus performance (@8gb > 16gb . 24gb) versus extra GPU dram.(2gb > 4gb)

I'm guessing more GPU dram but i further guess whether ram is better for your plane ?

for now, cheers

john martin