Sign in to follow this  
kityatyi

Maximum range

8 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

The only guys on here that are official PMDG are marked by "Commercial Member". There are a few of the PMDG beta testers on here but I think they all have a beta banner in their signature. Alex Metzger is the only dev I've come across that doesn't conform to either of these, but a quick look in the list on the DC-6 and he should be there (I think he does the flight dynamics?).

Yeah, he's kinda incognito. Some of our devs only really lurk, if anything, so I'm not sure we got them all on the 'commercial member' or 'verified support' lists (note that Ryan has the 'verified' thing, and I don't).

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

Yeah, he's kinda incognito. Some of our devs only really lurk, if anything, so I'm not sure we got them all on the 'commercial member' or 'verified support' lists (note that Ryan has the 'verified' thing, and I don't).

In terms of the forum, is there any difference between being on one list or the other?

52 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

In terms of the forum, is there any difference between being on one list or the other?

Maybe? I'm not sure. I don't manage it. I'm not sure if it's tied to mod privs or not, or if it's two separate things.

Kyle Rodgers

I get that I am beating a dead horse here but the fuel provided for both the A and the B is 19,932lbs.  That is what the A version would have had available.  The B would have had a little over 33,500 available at max fuel as it had larger tanks to provide those trans-atlantic flights....and it did still need to make a stop or two on the west return flights from Europe.  If you wish to make those flights across the atlanitc make sure you make yourself available to reset the fuel load manager mid flight (not the most realistic manner but the best you can do at this point).

6 minutes ago, xtreme33guitar said:

I get that I am beating a dead horse here but the fuel provided for both the A and the B is 19,932lbs.  That is what the A version would have had available.  The B would have had a little over 33,500 available at max fuel as it had larger tanks to provide those trans-atlantic flights....and it did still need to make a stop or two on the west return flights from Europe.  If you wish to make those flights across the atlanitc make sure you make yourself available to reset the fuel load manager mid flight (not the most realistic manner but the best you can do at this point).

The DC-6B came in domestic 8-tank variants, and intercontinental 10-tank variants. You're describing the 10-tank variant, the PMDG model is the 8-tank variant.

Full names in the forums.

Chris,

Yes I neglected to mention the part of the optional 2 extra tanks.  Oops.  Point remains the same.  BTW... cheers to PMDG on another fantastic aircraft.  Much enjoyed.

Justin Stunard

14 minutes ago, xtreme33guitar said:

Chris,

Yes I neglected to mention the part of the optional 2 extra tanks.  Oops.  Point remains the same.  BTW... cheers to PMDG on another fantastic aircraft.  Much enjoyed.

Justin Stunard

All good, wasn't sure if you were aware

On 7/27/2017 at 5:54 PM, PMDG777 said:

The DC-6B came in domestic 8-tank variants, and intercontinental 10-tank variants. You're describing the 10-tank variant, the PMDG model is the 8-tank variant.

Full names in the forums.

there is some confusion here , from two original dc-6B manuals, which I have, the dc-6 have a 8 thanks intercontinental configuration with 5500 USG capacity , and this info is from the original operative manual .

Right, the B-Variant has a Fuel-Configuration of 5512 GALs (33072 lbs), this is a true fact (Wikipedia DC-6B, sorry german only). With this the B should run over 3000 Nm with ease.

But the problem now is, this configuration is not activated - I don't know why. It is also not possible to activate it via the aircraft.cfg because the "Fuel Manager" don't know it, and doesn't go over this 20.000 lbs barrier :blink:. Furthermore it is also not possible to refuel the aircraft at a Standard-Fuelstation or via the Standard "Fuel & Payload" Dialog - for whatever reason.

I would recommend that in any further update the "Fuel Manager" should also can handle the B-Fuel Capacity up to 33072 lbs.

In case that this will not happen, it is also possible to adjust the range via the "fuel_flow_scalar" entry - a good start is 0.8, but I have to make further test flights. And this is really not a good solution to solve this problem.

I also own the Just Flight DC-6 - and there everything is correct in this matter.

Douglas produced two DC-6B models

From (english) Wiki:

DC-6B
DC-6B-1198A a 60- to 89-seat domestic variant with 2,400 hp (1,800 kW) R-2800-CB16 engines
DC-6B-1225A a 42- to 89-seat trans-ocean variant with increased fuel capacity to 5,512 US gal (20,870 l)

The 1198A domestic model is the PMDG one, but based on a single surviving airframe.
This apparently has a fuel capacity of 3,332 US gallons in 8 tanks.
Some sources, including Just Flight (Aeroplane Heaven really) suggest the domestic model should have a capacity of 3,992/3,986 USG...but I'm sure PMDG correctly reflect the actual airframe that they have investigated.
This also has a reduced passenger capacity, historically it should be between 60 and 89 as above (and I've seen references to 102 passengers).

To add to the potential confusion, the USAF C-118 (which came somewhere between the two DC-6Bs) had 5,404 USG in 8 tanks.

Coincidentally I've been researching all of this to add the PMDG model into FSEconomy :)
The Just Flight model is very good, considering it's age and probably the best of the older AH models, I like it a lot, but...

Cheers
Keith Bedford

Edited by keithb77

I would love to see the 10-tank variant coming in form of an expansion pack though.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

On 8/27/2017 at 0:03 PM, Matthias G said:

But the problem now is, this configuration is not activated - I don't know why.

Because that is not the version of the DC-6B presently modeled. This isn't a 'generic' DC-6B, what we have is an attempt at a faithful reproduction of Namibia Commercial Aviation V5-NCG, Douglas s/n 45564. This is the last DC-6 to roll off the production line from Douglas Aircraft.

There are many configuration options available for the DC-6, and our aircraft represents a specific serial number.

The following is the link to the F.A.A. Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) which gives some engineering data to describe the type of aircraft.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/3AA076D9212D45D0862577DD006B8CF1?OpenDocument

In it, you'll see that Douglas was certified to offer eight different configurations of the aircraft with eight fuel tanks, and four different versions of the ten tank setup. I have no idea if all of these options were sold, but they are certified. Interestingly, the option with the highest fuel capacity (5512 Gal) actually uses eight tanks, not ten! (p. 4) I compared the fuel quantities in the PMDG tanks to those in the TCDS and have come upon the best guess. We have a modified version of the 3992 Gal system.

Eight Wing Tank Airplane - 3992 Gallon System:

Total

Usable

2 outer wing tanks (#1 and #4 ma

in)

695 gal. ea.

695 gal. ea. (+460.0)

2 inboard inner wing tanks (#2 and

#3 main)

508 gal. ea.

502 gal. ea. (+441.0)

2 outboard inner wing tanks (#1 and #4

alt.)

431 gal. ea.

428 gal. ea. (+444.0)

2 inner wing fuel cells (#2 and #3

alt.)

362 gal. ea.

362 gal. ea. (+438.0)

All fuel tank quantities match, except for tanks #1 and #4. In the TCDS, they are 695 Gal total. In the sim, they are 360 Gal. This reduces the total fuel from 3992 Gal. to 3322 Gal.

So the question is, why? My guess is there is a A.D. (Airworthiness Directive), or an S.T.C. (Supplemental Type Certificate) has been applied which reduced the allowable fuel quantity in the outboard main tanks.

And finally, If you check the PMDG aircraft.cfg file.. you'll see commented entries for the 5512 eight tank configuration :gaul:. So the question is... what is CONFIG #A??

Robert Toten

But the problem now is, this configuration is not activated - I don't know why. It is also not possible to activate it via the aircraft.cfg because the "Fuel Manager" don't know it, and doesn't go over this 20.000 lbs barrier :blink:. Furthermore it is also not possible to refuel the aircraft at a Standard-Fuelstation or via the Standard "Fuel & Payload" Dialog - for whatever reason.

Don't edit the aircraft.cfg. It's not going to do any good, and it's going to mess things up.

None of our aircraft are fueled via the default Fuel & Payload dialog. We have a load manager specifically for this purpose, specifically because we use alternate methods to better recreate fuel loading and use.

In case that this will not happen, it is also possible to adjust the range via the "fuel_flow_scalar" entry - a good start is 0.8, but I have to make further test flights. And this is really not a good solution to solve this problem.

No, it's not a good solution. Do not edit the config files, and do not suggest it to others, please.

I also own the Just Flight DC-6 - and there everything is correct in this matter.

So, Cessna offered a few aircraft with extended range tanks. If someone models the one without those tanks you would claim that it's "not correct?"

I doubt it was your intention, but please be careful in your choice of words. To claim that theirs is "correct" for modeling the 10 tank option somewhat implies that ours is incorrect for modeling the 8 tank standard. That is misleading (intentional or not).

Kyle Rodgers

Interesting investigation Robert. I would also like to know the reasoning behind the missing fuel capacity in those tanks.

I'm always for more fuel tanks capacity..!

To claim that theirs is "correct" for modeling the 10 tank option 

Actually Just Flight do model the 8 tank version, for both Domestic and Intercontinental models, but they  go for the max sizes (3986 and 5512 USG respectively).

I understand why PMDG went for this passenger and fuel configuration, to model the existing aircraft, though sadly it does limit range and potentially earning capacity in FSEconomy :(

Cheers
Keith

• Upvote 1