Sign in to follow this  
kityatyi

Maximum range

On 30.8.2017 at 1:20 AM, randomTOTEN said:

Because that is not the version of the DC-6B presently modeled. This isn't a 'generic' DC-6B, what we have is an attempt at a faithful reproduction of Namibia Commercial Aviation V5-NCG, Douglas s/n 45564. This is the last DC-6 to roll off the production line from Douglas Aircraft.

According to the DC-6 Association of South Africa the V5-NCG has a fuel capacity of 5512 gallons. Its sister ship, the Red Bull DC-6 (s/n 45563) has the same fuel capacity. And that is no surprise as both were ordered from the same airline (JAT) back in 1958. This is certainly the reason why PMDG has added the 5512 gallon tank configuration to the aircraft.cfg as well. 

That leaves the question why PMDG only simulates a fuel capacity of 3322 gallons. Who knows? Maybe the last operator of the V5-NCF limited the fuel capacity to 3322 gallons due to insurance or registration reasons?

However, it would be great if PMDG could give us some insight why they have chosen to limit the fuel capacity to 3322 gallons.

• Upvote 1

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Hi, everyone. My name's Chris Powell. A few of you may know me from the lengthy investigation we had into the "CTD on landing". I'm the lead developer on the DC-6 FSX/P3D project.

V5-NCG was indeed our survey aircraft, and as you would imagine informs many aspects of our delivered simulation. But we elected to go with the POH values for the 8-tank configuration; it's worth noting that V5-NCG has the higher capacities but does not have the later CB-17 engines. 

Be that as it may, I understand now from reading this thread that there are some legitimate reasons for desiring longer legs on the plane., I think we can accommodate. If you're willing to accept the caveat that this will not be an either-or option, we can update the plane and Fuel Manager to use the 5512 gallon, 8-tank setup that V5-NCG has. Note as well: we'll retain the CB-16 engines that NCG has.

Give us time to make the change and put it through testing. This alteration is not too complicated, but it does touch a good swath of stuff: UI, VC, config, code, related systems.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Chris Powell

Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg

Hi Chris,

First, thank you and your team for being so transparent with the development and release process of this wonderful aircraft. I think the reason a lot of us are digging so deeply into the specifics of this aircraft is we believe it is truly special. You guys have done an wonderful job with it.

These aircraft are old, complicated, and have a rich history which apparently finds its way into our virtual hangars.

1 hour ago, cbpowell said:

But we elected to go with the POH values for the 8-tank configuration; it's worth noting that V5-NCG has the higher capacities but does not have the later CB-17 engines.

For those of us that may wish to comply with the current fuel limitations of the aircraft, should we load only a maximum of 3322 Gallons? Will the manuals reflect these limitations, so that we can properly distribute fuel?

Thanks,

Robert Toten

I found it!

A member of another forum was discussing the possibility to taking the DC-6B from Christchurch, NZ to McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

I was in the process of explaining why this was not possible, when I discovered the reason the PMDG aircraft has the modeled fuel capacity!

I originally observed,

On 8/29/2017 at 4:20 PM, randomTOTEN said:

All fuel tank quantities match, except for tanks #1 and #4. In the TCDS, they are 695 Gal total. In the sim, they are 360 Gal. This reduces the total fuel from 3992 Gal. to 3322 Gal. 

Note 4 of the "Maximum Structural Limits" table states,

695 gal. capacity outer wing fuel tank required.

Douglas Drawing #5717880 "Service Rework-Outer Wing Installation" describes the modifications required to replace the 360 Gallon outer wing with the 695 Gallon outer wing. Drawing #5717880-500 also describes the modifications required to replace the 695 Gallon outer wing with the 360 Gallon outer wing. Appropriate revisions to the FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual including satisfactory fuel loading schedules, changes to weight limits, fuel system changes, performance limitations, etc. should be submitted to the FAA for approval.

So it looks like the outer wing tanks might have been modified at some point in the life of s/n 45564. I remember also seeing why other weights were unusual, but I will have to edit this post as I find them,

I had stated that it looked like the PMDG aircraft had a modified version of the 3992 Gallon 8 tank system. However, other users (and devs) have stated that this aircraft in fact has the 5512 Gallon 8 tank fuel system. If the modification was made to that system, then 5512-670= 4842 gallons available.

Robert Toten

KI am about to purchase the fsx version of this ac

what is the fuel capacity of the current fsx version ?

did PMDG add the extra tankage ?

cheers Lew

Edited by Lewicide

Hi All,

What is the state of the DC-6 rangewise, has it now been updated to be able to do trans-atlantic crossings? I loaded it up the other day and it looked like it could take more fuel, but I can't say for certain.

2 hours ago, Mantock said:

Hi All,

What is the state of the DC-6 rangewise, has it now been updated to be able to do trans-atlantic crossings? I loaded it up the other day and it looked like it could take more fuel, but I can't say for certain.

It is not updated yet.  Still 8 tanks unchanged from original version (19932 lbs).  St Johns to Shannon is 1700 nm so in theory one could make the trip but I think realistically I'd be looking at the S America - Africa route instead of the N Atlantic unless you wanted to stop overfly Greenland and Iceland.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

Nuuk is a great airport to stop and refuel 😄

Edited by Ephedrin
Typo 🤦🏻‍♂️