Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Avro Air Fair at the old EGCD airfield

Some raw bits of video from this show at the disused EGCD airfield today, with the BBMF Lancaster and Anson doing flybys, the preserved Vulcan XM603 at the Avro museum, some pretty cool movie mock ups of a Spitfire Mark 2 and JG26 Messerschmitt bf109E, plus some cool shots of radial aero engines being cranked up and covering me and my camera with oil when they do so. Also includes a rare clip of Fifi my girlfriend, who hates being filmed lol:

• Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Amazing to think those old Radial Engines were once considered 'High Tech' in its day, best performance at the time. So many man hours went into them

Matthew Kane

Yep. She definitely hates being filmed LOL! Love the old radials beign coaxed into life. Thanks for sharing, Alan. Some could do with a shot of:-

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks Alan.

I have rather sad memories from Woodford....I'm pretty sure that it was at that airfield I saw a meteor - one of six - pulling out of the loop and diving into the ground - some 200 yards in front of me.

I can still hear the c-r-u-u-u-m-p as it hit.

Must have been about '56 - 57' - I was with the air cadets at the time.

Seeing that occur in front of you is very disturbing - knowing someone's life has just ended.

Regards
Bill

Yup, me too on occasion, saw the fatal Spitfire crash at Woodford in the 90s and the fatal Mosquito crash at Barton too, also in the 90s. Both fairly grim points in otherwise great airshows. Also had a close call with a Bell JetRanger at Barton once, I flew in it on a Saturday and the next day it crashed on the Wirral owing to a technical failure, badly injuring all the occupants. Sadly, that kind of thing happens with flying machines sometimes.

Oddly enough, I was talking with the pilot of the Hughes OH-6 Cayuse 'Loach' which was on display at this show about airshow accidents, and he and I were commenting on the fact that we thought that Lancaster seen on my video had made a turn over the crowd line on the airfield after one of its passes, which is a big no-no at airshows in the UK these days owing to the danger it presents to spectators if something goes amiss, which as we know occasionally does at airshows, as evidenced by the worryingly frank disclaimer you often see on the back of airshow tickets.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here