Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Is 49" too big? (said the actress to the bishop!)

I'm going to be asking quite a few questions over the next couple of months as a I research and prepare myself for a new build of my sim. This will be based around a 4k monitor driven by a GTX1080ti  and I7@4.5Ghz. (if funds allow!) My question is, is 49" too big sat 24"-30" away or should I consider a 43" monitor? I don't want to build a rig based on a 43" monitor and then wish I had spent just a little more for a 49". Equally, I don't wish to be sat in front of a 49" screen and find I have issues with it. What issues, I don't know, but hence my question. Advice always gratefully recieved guys.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Certainly not.

For P3Dv4 I have a 55 inch LED smart 4K TV with a curved screen and it is not too big. 

Kind regards,

10 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Certainly not.

For P3Dv4 I have a 55 inch LED smart 4K TV with a curved screen and it is not too big. 

Kind regards,

Hi Stephen, at what distance are you sat from the monitor?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Following this thread. Users that have large 4K TVs post pictures of the setup so we can get a sense of scale and how the VC looks on something like that. 

1 minute ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Following this thread. Users that have large 4K TVs post pictures of the setup so we can get a sense of scale and how the VC looks on something like that. 

Sure, I'm after some personal opinion and feedback from users rather than looking at a photo Angelo.

Howard

2 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Sure, I'm after some personal opinion and feedback from users rather than looking at a photo Angelo.

I was implying adding a photo of their setup when they replied with their comments, thoughts, concerns etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Stephen, at what distance are you sat from the monitor?

In the kitchen!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 minute ago, Ron Attwood said:

In the kitchen!

:biggrin: Hiya Ron you old scoundrel!

Howard

4 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

is 49" too big sat 24"-30" away

NO. There is no "too big", there is only "too expensive"!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 hours ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Users that have large 4K TVs post pictures of the setup so we can get a sense of scale and how the VC looks on something like that. 

The VC will look exactly as big as you want it to look! If you're trading up from a smaller monitor the first step should be to set it up to be the same size as on the smaller monitor, in which case you will see more. Of course if you had a really small monitor, you probably had things smaller-than-life, so next step is to try to get close to life-size. With a 49" monitor that's easily doable, especially if you use a TrackIR.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

My 55 inches isn't too big. 

:biggrin:

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

LG 38UC99 38" IPS 21:9 UltraWide Curved Monitor

I recently traded up for one of these as I sit only 24" away from my monitor. Its the most beautiful Monitor I have ever bought and I love the wide aspect. A complete game changer...

Hamish

1 hour ago, hamish7777 said:

LG 38UC99 38" IPS 21:9 UltraWide Curved Monitor

I recently traded up for one of these as I sit only 24" away from my monitor. Its the most beautiful Monitor I have ever bought and I love the wide aspect. A complete game changer...

Hamish

Sure Hamish, i have looked at these, but I feel I really need to get as close to life size as possible. I also want to retain some vertical 'real estate' to keep some of the panel in view.

Howard

1 hour ago, hamish7777 said:

I can't imagine choosing this over a 40" 4K, even if they cost the same!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

58" and Love it! Viewing position is about 32" from the screen and with zoom at .6 in the VC, instruments are approximately real-life size and I can get both instruments and windscreen in my view, so I don't need to pan too much.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)