Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Is 49" too big? (said the actress to the bishop!)

OK, I'm sold. 49" it is.The next thing is cost. I'm looking at no more than about £650 and I hope to get about £250-£300 for my Dell 2560x1600 30" Ultrasharp. There are a couple I have my eyes on, the first is LG. The big point for me is not to have one of the silly glossy screens, that would bug me to death! I think Sony TV's are matt. Can anyone verify this? Also, how easy is it to get a 4K TV that runs at 30hz? Do they all offer this to some extent, or only a few?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎24 at 9:17 AM, Rockliffe said:

Hi Stephen, at what distance are you sat from the monitor?

Howard,

I sit about 36 to 42 inches back by the time I attach the yoke and set up the pedals. With Track IR and 4K resolution the 55 inch low reflective curved screen makes me feel inside the cockpit most of the time (when the phone doesn't ring).

BTW, another factor may be the (Samsung) smart TV acting as the physics processor in the NVIDIA setup. It probably adds something to the performance factor, releasing the 1080 to do what it does best, but which I haven't objectively tested.

I likely said this before, but with the new tech in both hardware and 64 bit software, it seems like a new simulated world from even a couple of years ago. I can't imagine going back to a less persuasive sized viewpoint. 

Time to join Ron in the kitchen!

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

BTW, another factor may be the (Samsung) smart TV acting as the physics processor in the NVIDIA setup. It probably adds something to the performance factor, releasing the 1080 to do what it does best, but which I haven't objectively tested.

The output of your 1080 isn't affected by what it's plugged in to, it simply generates video data. If the card is sending 30 FPS to the display, there's no way that your display can somehow improve on that as it doesn't have access to the raw data that's going to the card.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

11 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Howard,

I sit about 36 to 42 inches back by the time I attach the yoke and set up the pedals. With Track IR and 4K resolution the 55 inch low reflective curved screen makes me feel inside the cockpit most of the time (when the phone doesn't ring).

I likely said this before, but with the new tech in both hardware and 64 bit software, it seems like a new simulated world from even a couple of years ago. I can't imagine going back to a less persuasive sized viewpoint. 

Time to join Ron in the kitchen!

Kind regards,

Good advice as always Stephen. Cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

65 inch Sammy curved 4k and really envious of my buddies 78 inch curved Sammy 4k.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

9 hours ago, vortex681 said:

The output of your 1080 isn't affected by what it's plugged in to, it simply generates video data. If the card is sending 30 FPS to the display, there's no way that your display can somehow improve on that as it doesn't have access to the raw data that's going to the card.

Thank you vortex, but you missed the point. It's a separate 4 core processor being utilized by Nvidia for physX...

Ahhhh, never mind... :)

7 hours ago, warbirds said:

65 inch Sammy curved 4k and really envious of my buddies 78 inch curved Sammy 4k.

Yes, I already have 65 inch envy.

In boating circles it's called onefootitis... "If only my boat was a foot longer, or so!"

Kind regards,

1 hour ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Thank you vortex, but you missed the point. It's a separate 4 core processor being utilized by Nvidia for physX...

Ahhhh, never mind... :)

Clearly too subtle for me, I'm afraid!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 7/24/2017 at 7:59 AM, Rockliffe said:

I'm going to be asking quite a few questions over the next couple of months as a I research and prepare myself for a new build of my sim. This will be based around a 4k monitor driven by a GTX1080ti  and I7@4.5Ghz. (if funds allow!) My question is, is 49" too big sat 24"-30" away or should I consider a 43" monitor? I don't want to build a rig based on a 43" monitor and then wish I had spent just a little more for a 49". Equally, I don't wish to be sat in front of a 49" screen and find I have issues with it. What issues, I don't know, but hence my question. Advice always gratefully recieved guys.

I have similar hardware to yours. 6700k @5.0 and 1080ti. I just went to a 4k monitor, a 49" samsung curved (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWVW3JS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I sit 3' from it and its fine. It will also go to 30htz. 30htz isnt a magic bullet though as I have found, after a week of trying to get my machine to run smooth at 30htz I gave up on it and went back to 60htz.  Its crazy because I have max sliders at 4K in KSFO with NCA and Vector and Fligfhtbeam and getting 40 fps. Same with DD NY. But if I go to 30htz, drop all the sliders and turn on vsync, I struggle to maintain 26 fps and have horrible stutters. Going to 4K is great but dont put a whole lot of faith in that 30htz logic. Also with 4K I dont see anymore shimmering which is nice.

28 minutes ago, JasonW said:

I have similar hardware to yours. 6700k @5.0 and 1080ti. I just went to a 4k monitor, a 49" samsung curved (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWVW3JS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I sit 3' from it and its fine. It will also go to 30htz. 30htz isnt a magic bullet though as I have found, after a week of trying to get my machine to run smooth at 30htz I gave up on it and went back to 60htz.  Its crazy because I have max sliders at 4K in KSFO with NCA and Vector and Fligfhtbeam and getting 40 fps. Same with DD NY. But if I go to 30htz, drop all the sliders and turn on vsync, I struggle to maintain 26 fps and have horrible stutters. Going to 4K is great but dont put a whole lot of faith in that 30htz logic. Also with 4K I dont see anymore shimmering which is nice.

Thanks for the info, appreciated. I'm following Rob Ainscough's advice regarding the 30hz thing. I'm guessing if frames are locked at 30, which I always fly at, then if the monitor is running at 30hz, then that negates any reason to run Vsync ?

Howard

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Thanks for the info, appreciated. I'm following Rob Ainscough's advice regarding the 30hz thing. I'm guessing if frames are locked at 30, which I always fly at, then if the monitor is running at 30hz, then that negates any reason to run Vsync ?

Hi Howard,

There's no reason to have V-sync or to run at 30 (IMHO). I use 60 as the refresh rate and generally match it with frames. 

Kind regards,

18 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Hi Howard,

There's no reason to have V-sync or to run at 30 (IMHO). I use 60 as the refresh rate and generally match it with frames. 

Kind regards,

Stephen, if I get the tearing, which I certainly experience at the moment with P3d V3.4, then running v-sync is the only option for me. I always lock frames at 30, as to not do creates less smooth flying. Do you run unlimited?

Howard

20 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I'm guessing if frames are locked at 30, which I always fly at, then if the monitor is running at 30hz, then that negates any reason to run Vsync ?

18 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

It depends. As long as your FPS remains AT your refresh rate, or some multiple of it, you definitely won't need vsync. If it's regularly above or below, which is usually the case, vsync could make a difference. It depends on how much you notice screen tearing and how much it bothers you.

I was getting some screen tearing (which I always notice) when I panned the view quickly and tried all of the different types of vsync to see which was the most effective. I would avoid the standard vsync - if you use a 60Hz display and your FPS drop below 60, standard vsync will then limit your FPS to 30, then 15. Adaptive is better as it's only active if your FPS are above your refresh rate but means that you can still get tearing or stutters below it. I found that using the new fast sync worked best for me - it shouldn't really work but does so particularly well. Look here for an explanation of the different types of vsync: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_8.html - fast sync is halfway down under "Update".

Fast sync is only supposed to be effective at very high frame rates (100+) and mine are generally under 60. However, I found that if I leave FPS at unlimited and apply fast sync (in the NVIDIA Control Panel) I get no screen tearing and no noticeable stuttering, performance hit or screen lag (all common problems with vsync). Additionally, it doesn't seem to limit my FPS at all.

If screen tearing bothers you, give fast sync a try - it's worked well for at least one other person on these forums.