Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

sound.dll P3D V4

Upon pressing the 'Q' key to silence the sound I sometimes get the sound.dll CTD. What is the exact cause of this issue as I cannot seem to find anything on it online. I have the latest drivers installed for all of my hardware. 

EDIT: Just to add - I do not have a sound card, I use onboard sound. 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: sound.dll, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a71d8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000020908
Faulting process ID: 0x26a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d30478e03c11f2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\sound.dll
Report ID: efcbc94c-8ffd-44bf-9672-b1487efeb140
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Make sure the drivers to your on-board sound is up-to-date.  Think those are updated frequently.  Make sure in the sound settings in P3D the on-board sound is recognized. 

I would also run a driver update program like Driver Booster to see if anything is out-of-date.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

4 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Make sure the drivers to your on-board sound is up-to-date.  Think those are updated frequently.  Make sure in the sound settings in P3D the on-board sound is recognized. 

I would also run a driver update program like Driver Booster to see if anything is out-of-date.

Best regards,

Jim

Will do that and report back.

By your recommendation from another post I have been using Driver Booster for quite a while, after using a countless number of "free" driver updaters they always wanted some cash for updates, Driver Booster is really great asking for no money and doing what it says. 

Onboard drivers are up to date, correct sound device is selected in the settings menu and still getting the crash. I think the only solution at this point is to disable the 'Q' key until LM find an official fix for it. 

I have a Soundblaster X sound card and found Windows does everything possible to make me use the on-board sound.  I have on-board sound disabled in the BIOS but, if I change my BIOS settings to say, optimal defaults, it will enable the on-board sound and suddenly I have everyone in the world trying to update the Realtek drivers.  On-board sound tries to take over sound over the Soundblaster X card.  Sometimes I'll startup P3D and there is no sound and I check the sound icon in the lower right of my desktop and see it has taken over.  Doesn't it understand nothing, absolutely no speaker wires are plugged into the on-board sound connections?  That I have a SoundBlaster card installed?  Why does the on-board sound want to take over everything associated with sound?

Nvidia now has sound and my system tries its hardest to make it the default sound.  I have to constantly click on the sound icon on the lower right of the desktop and make sure speakers are my default sound under the playback tab.  I suspect you have checked your default settings to make sure the on-board sound is your default sound.

You could have something wrong with the audio chip as I understand it doesn't survive easily and there is no way to replace the audio chip.  I would think hundreds use on-board sound for P3D/FSX/X-Plane and have not had any problems.  Of course, I would not expect many would be using the Q key often so they may not know they have a problem.  I just tried the Q key with my Soundblaster card and had no problems turning it on and off several times.  So I think you have a problem with your audio chip unless you know several others are suffering the same problem getting a crash occasionally after hitting the Q key.  Then I would think LM has a problem.  The old version of sound.dll had 194 kb's and the current version has 281 kb's so maybe they did screw it up.  But then, again, I have not seen crashes caused by this dll that could not be fixed with updated drivers.

You might want to look into getting a sound card.  They are all very inexpensive (except for my card).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I do believe many others are experiencing this issue, having reported it on a facebook page and one user coming back to me saying he has the same issue also. 

I can press and hold Q and hear the sound skipping from on/off in a rapid sequence, but when I have my flight all set up and in say Fly Tampa's Amsterdam or any scenery for that matter and I press Q once the sim can crash. So to say it happens ALL the time isn't correct, it happens more often than it should.

I think I may well get myself a sound card, however - that will have to wait as I am off on vacation next week. If I got a sound card would the near constant faint background static from my speakers be fixed or is that a cable issue? 

Just to add - having uninstalled the Nvidia sound program and upon pressing Q with a flight plan loaded at Amsterdam having pressed Q several times I do not get a crash. However - if I hold down Q for about 30 to 60 seconds I get an ntdll crash not a sound dll crash. Strange.