Sign in to follow this  
Zeuss_1238

747 not aligned with runway

I just recently purchased the PMDG 747 and am super impressed and enjoy the product but, yesterday I tried a flight and when I stepped through my route I noticed the path wasn't alligned with the runway! The plane would be off and wouldn't go directly to the runway.

is there a way to fix this?

I had a similar issue in the Aerosoft Airbus in p3d v3 a few months back but now its showing up again :/ 

Linus Zwaka

2 minutes ago, Zeuss_1238 said:

I just recently purchased the PMDG 747 and am super impressed and enjoy the product but, yesterday I tried a flight and when I stepped through my route I noticed the path wasn't alligned with the runway! The plane would be off and wouldn't go directly to the runway.

is there a way to fix this?

I had a similar issue in the Aerosoft Airbus in p3d v3 a few months back but now its showing up again :/ 

What airport are you using (payware/default?) and what airac cycle do you have installed?

27 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

What airport are you using (payware/default?) and what airac cycle do you have installed?

Using default, and the current airac cycle, 1708

I was going from KORD Chicago to KADW Andrews Air Force base in Maryland

Linus Zwaka

12 minutes ago, Zeuss_1238 said:

Using default, and the current airac cycle, 1708

I was going from KORD Chicago to KADW Andrews Air Force base in Maryland

I'm guessing the scenery and latest airac don't quite match up which is why there's a slight heading difference

7 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

I'm guessing the scenery and latest airac don't quite match up which is why there's a slight heading difference

I see

Is there anything I can do?

Linus Zwaka

15 minutes ago, Zeuss_1238 said:

I see

Is there anything I can do?

Can you be more specific about the issue that you're having? I'm not convinced that what you're seeing isn't simply the plane correcting for the wind.

Kyle Rodgers

The AIRAC files are built using current magnetic declination data...the stock FSX/P3D mag dec files are based on very old 2006 data.  The difference (resulting from migration of the earth's magnetic poles over time) can cause you to line up off-centerline when using an AIRAC-based nav systems with the default scenery base.

Herve Sors keeps an updated magdec file for FSX/P3D for download on his site at: https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Updating to that generally solves the slightly-off-centerline issues people have when using AIRAC-based nav systems.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

27 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The AIRAC files are built using current magnetic declination data...the stock FSX/P3D mag dec files are based on very old 2006 data.  The difference (resulting from migration of the earth's magnetic poles over time) can cause you to line up off-centerline when using an AIRAC-based nav systems with the default scenery base.

Herve Sors keeps an updated magdec file for FSX/P3D for download on his site at: https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Updating to that generally solves the slightly-off-centerline issues people have when using AIRAC-based nav systems.

Regards

Thanks!

I have downloaded this and it hasn't worked :(

I am now also having the issue in the 737

Trying to do a flight from Anchorage to Barrow in Alaska

Linus Zwaka

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

Can you be more specific about the issue that you're having? I'm not convinced that what you're seeing isn't simply the plane correcting for the wind.

when I look through my route the won't be aligned with the runway

The purple line so to say is not aligned with the white dotted line

Linus Zwaka

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

Regards

I tested another flight going to North Carolina with the 737 and its still not aligned with the runway

Linus Zwaka

3 hours ago, Zeuss_1238 said:

Thanks!

I have downloaded this and it hasn't worked :(

I am now also having the issue in the 737

Trying to do a flight from Anchorage to Barrow in Alaska

If you're flying into default airports using current AIRAC data it's still gonna be a problem, as the magdec file does not redefine navaid courses for default airports...most of the add-on airports incorporate magdec data current as of the date is was produced.  Some of the better AFCADs for default airports also fix the problem, but the reality is that not all scenery and aircraft data is played from the same sheet of music.  To get it right, the magdec needs to be current, the ILS course needs to be based on the current magdec, and the AIRAC data off of the same declination data.  Over time, even with high quality add-ons, there is some divergence, unless the dev updates his scenery when changes occur--the worst ones are when a RWY number changes and the markings and nomenclature doesn't any longer match the approach plates.  This happened a few years back for PANC, when 06 L/R became 07 L/R, and all the ATC still used 06.

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 minute ago, w6kd said:

If you're flying into default airports using current AIRAC data it's still gonna be a problem, as the magdec file does not redefine navaid courses for default airports...most of the add-on airports incorporate magdec data current as of the date is was produced.  Some of the better AFCADs for default airports also fix the problem, but the reality is that not all scenery and aircraft data is played from the same sheet of music.  To get it right, the magdec needs to be current, the ILS course needs to be based on the current magdec, and the AIRAC data off of the same declination data.  Over time, even with high quality add-ons, there is some divergence, unless the dev updates his scenery when changes occur--the worst ones are when a RWY number changes and the markings and nomenclature doesn;t any longer match the approach plates.  This happened a few years back for PANC, when 06 L/R became 07 L/R, and all the ATC still used 06...

Regards

So what do recommend I do?

Linus Zwaka

Just now, Zeuss_1238 said:

So what do recommend I do?

Either live with it, or spend a lot of time in ADE tweaking navaids (doable if you only fly to a limited number of airports).  There's nothing an aircraft add-on maker can do, given the wide variety of combinations of add-ons and magdec files that would have to match with the AIRAC.

Regards

For the 747 QOT have you checked "On" for "Correct Loc Course to Sim"?  See Introduction manual page 0.00.98 (pdf page 98).

Similar setting in 737 NGX.

The default KORD is very out of date, as to runway numbers, location of runways, etc.  Search KORD in Avsim AFCAD or scenery libraries for updates.  Pretty sure Ray Smith has an accurate one.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Don't obsess with the extended runway center line. It means very little, just a nice reference.You said the "plane wouldn't go directly to the runway" and yet I assume you landed on the runway because you didn't indicate otherwise. I'm with Kyle, I'm don't understand the problem as explained.

Dan Downs KCRP