Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

Three P3D Windows: better 3 video cards, or 3XSLI or neither?

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your information. I will give it a try to save a flight and hope for the best. That is because often I'm having problems with FSL320X acting up when I try to load a saved flight. I guess I'll just have to improve my undocking proficiency. 

Regarding the use of two 17inch USB3 monitors (by AOC)...I use them for PFD+ND and EWD+SD.  I'm haven't checked the FPS, but I've done a few short flights that worked very satisfactory for me. The flights were done using one 1080 GPU for 3 FHD Tv's and the USB3 displays connected to 1 USB3 connection each of my desktop. No external power adapter required. I Installed the drivers from CDrom, update online and plug and play.  I just used W10 display setting to position and orient them as required. Viewing angle in portrait is not great but my intention is to eventually use both displays in landscape.

ATB 

Vincent 

Vincent,

I apologise for pursuing this. This is probably attributable to my aged and feeble mind.

Could you explain further the process used for the USB aspect.

Firstly, I assume that you need a monitor (or TV???) with a USB port. If you just plug it in and power up what display do you get and what drivers do you install. (most USB devices are plug and play to my knowledge) With Win10 (I am using Win7 64bit) display setting, I also assume that, that is accessed  by right clicking on vacant desktop and going into screen resolution to configure the new screens. Is this correct? From there, do you then go into flight sim views and select a display which is then undocked and moved to the required USB screen.  If this is indeed the process, then I fail to see what difference (if any) there is, to my method and if that is the case there would be no difference to the frame rate drag. It would still be enormous I think.  

I could very well be on the wrong track here and have misunderstood everything. I actually recall seeing a video long long ago about using multiple monitors connected by USB. A comment was made I think, about not being able to screen movies using this system. I attributed this to the fact that there was no external graphics card used (run off a laptop) so multiple hi res screens would be an issue.  There was NO mention of frame rates or impact on performance etc, so I did not pursue it further. On recollection of this though, I am still baffled somewhat about the mechanics of it. I will do some further research I guess.

Food for thought. Has anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Vincent,

I have done a further bit of research and found out a bit more regarding the USB monitors, via the use of USB adapters. This system,  I think, would be ideal for use with a second computer but no advantage whatsoever over the use of GPUs in that second computer.  For my purposes, I would definitely configure the second system for an EFB, ATC (probably PF3) and a WX radar.

The system as I envisaged it would be no benefit to me at all and performance will not be enhanced sufficiently to allow me to use 6 monitors in P3Dv4 In fact, I have had this verified in my last post, "Multi Monitors - USB connections" This is just one opinion, I will admit, but it did verify my Google findings.

Anyway to get back to your original query, and as I have already said, If I can help with anything regarding docking and undocking, please just ask. I am not saying that I am an expert, but, I have been doing just that with many different combinations for many years.

Good luck

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hi Tony, apologies for the late reply. I now have 2 USB3 displays and a HDMI display for my homecockpit. For the outside view I use 3 TVs as one display. I have now done a few tests and I am very happy with the result. Someone pointed out to me the free downloadable program Panel Store/Panel Restore which saves me a lot of time. When all Windows are set up as desired, just go to windowed mode and run the Panel Store exe. Next time just undock the required screens in windowed mode and run the Panel Restore exe. Then go FULL SCREEN and you are ready. Just a few clicks for me to set up my Homecockpit for FSLabs 320X using 3 monitors for 2xPFD 2xND and 2x ECAM.

All the best,

Vincent