Sign in to follow this  
Saucey12

Where Simmers hail from

I have been out of the flight sim community for quite awhile (probably since about 06).  A lot has changed and I have noticed during my readings and chats that most simmers hail from Europe, Australia, and Canada (especially the UK, Australia and Germany) .  When I tell my friends locally what I do during my free time they are like what?? They have no idea what Flight Simming is.  I myself am from the USA, state of Louisiana.  What about you? 

UK, about 5 miles east of Manchester Airport (EGCC) :cool:

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Greenville SC. I worked at Lake Charles LA as an ATC until the strike in 1981. What part of cagun country do you live?

Vic green

About 5 miles west of Blackpool (EGNH) which is nowhere near as exciting as 5 miles east of EGCC - but we have got Blackpool Tower!

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Louisiana?  Pensacola here.

I think I'm accurate is saying that both Sales Demographics, VATSIM and IVAO activity (not suggesting there is a link between them, merely saying that they demonstrate the same thing) show that Europe leads the flight sim community in terms of numbers, followed by the U.S.  But over 30 years I've personally had conversations, flew with or performed tech support for flight simmers in:

Hong Kong, Thailand, Philippines, Japan, Guam, Hawaii, Canada (a.k.a. the land of :happy: ... lol), Mexico, many South American Countries, Many different islands in the Caribbean, all of Europe, South Africa, Algiers, and Turkey. In fact, the only place I think I haven't met a flight simmer is China and most of the middle eastern countries.

But again, the vast majority seem to be from Europe and the U.S.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Born and raised in Sydney Australia but have lived in Canada half my life. Been in Whitehorse Yukon for the last 11 years

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

32 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Pensacola here.

Born in Pensacola, Escambia High grad.  Still live in FL just a little further south.

Ryan

I went to Escambia as well, year before the Mascot was changed from Rebel to a Gator.  I was gone for 34 years, just recently back.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I went to Escambia as well, year before the Mascot was changed from Rebel to a Gator.  I was gone for 34 years, just recently back.

Well you have me by a few years then, lol.  I won't tell.

Ryan

Ireland. Nearest "airport" is EINC. :smile:

3 hours ago, Saucey12 said:

I have been out of the flight sim community for quite awhile (probably since about 06).  A lot has changed and I have noticed during my readings and chats that most simmers hail from Europe, Australia, and Canada (especially the UK, Australia and Germany) .  When I tell my friends locally what I do during my free time they are like what?? They have no idea what Flight Simming is.  I myself am from the USA, state of Louisiana.  What about you? 

I'm not too far from you, relative to some others.  I live in northern Alabama.

I would say a fellow southern boy, but it wouldn't really be true, although I've been down here since '87 and some say I've picked up the accent.

I was born in New York City and raised in northern Ohio. I lived 7 years in southern Florida and stopped in Alabama on my way back to Ohio.  Never went any  further.

I know what you mean about people not understanding what flight simming is, although I have been fortunate enough to run into several commercial airline and private pilots that knew exactly what I was talking about and would be interested right away. 

One was a 747 cargo pilot and he gave me a complete set of training manuals for the 747-400 right about the time that I bought the PMDG 747QOTSII.  How cool was that? I really appreciate it because PMDG doesn't offer the bound manuals anymore.

Bangkok, Thailand

ZORAN

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

Sydney, Australia.

Two guys here from Australia.  As a U.S. Submariner, I've always wanted to visit Australia (usually only Australians and Submariners know why that is (at least for a few generations +/- mine), but I just can't understand a damned thing you lot say!  LOL!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

Rockingham, Vermont.

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.