Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

GBAS in B748?

1 hour ago, PMDG777 said:

PMDG aren't making a 747-800?

It's a 747-8! But to answer your question, it sounds like that might depend on the scenery

Semantics. And I intended the post for someone actually from PMDG to answer. 

• Upvote 3

Eric 

10 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Semantics. And I intended the post for someone actually from PMDG to answer. 

It was a light hearted joke since the -800 doesn't exist, clearly you missed that.

If you want a direct response from PMDG, you have to open a support ticket. This is an open forum for anyone to reply, it is not a direct communications channel to PMDG. This point has been made countless times.

• Upvote 1

A GLS or GBAS Landing System is a GNSS-dependent alternative to ILS which uses a single GBAS airport ground station

From the above bold statement from the website you sent it looks like it is scenery dependent. Even if the aircraft has it from the moment the scenery will have only ILS how you suppose to use it?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

4 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

f you want a direct response from PMDG, you have to open a support ticket. This is an open forum for anyone to reply, it is not a direct communications channel to PMDG. This point has been made countless times.

+++1

As it is standard in the 747-800 will we have it in the PMDG version?

Odd...I flew the -8 for 3 years and this is the first time I've heard of it.  Check the fact sheet linked at the bottom of the page you linked here:

http://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/3844.pdf

It would seem that its implementation is ongoing and not all airlines are yet approved for its use.  Sounds like a good idea though.

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

As far as creating it for a flight sim is concerned, there is no real reason why anyone who is a reasonably competent gauge developer could not simulate it. FS sceneries might not have the real system's gizmos in them, but it wouldn't matter from a simulation standpoint, all you'd need to do is have a gauge which you put the five digit code into and 'behind the scenes' that could use the ILS system to fake being a different approach system. After all, this is no different from any other nav aid in a flight sim, i.e. there isn't really a big doppler VOR station with tons of complex radio equipment and directional antennas sat on the ground in various locations, nor a functional ILS antenna array near all those runways, it's just lines of code and a coordinate in the 3D model.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

As far as creating it for a flight sim is concerned, there is no real reason why anyone who is a reasonably competent gauge developer could not simulate it. FS sceneries might not have the real system's gizmos in them, but it wouldn't matter from a simulation standpoint, all you'd need to do is have a gauge which you put the five digit code into and 'behind the scenes' that could use the ILS system to fake being a different approach system. After all, this is no different from any other nav aid in a flight sim, i.e. there isn't really a big doppler VOR station with tons of complex radio equipment and directional antennas sat on the ground in various locations, it's just lines of code and a coordinate in the 3D model.

That's also what I'm thinking, but then would it need Navigraph and co. to implement that as well into their navdata?

2 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

That's also what I'm thinking, but then would it need Navigraph and co. to implement that as well into their navdata?

Navigraph already has it in their navdata. It's the first few choices when flying into EWR, GLS4L, GLS4R, etc... Saw it yesterday in the 777 FMC.

Eric 

2 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Yeah probably.

Although it is feasible to implement GLS to airfield, PMDG and nav data products, the work required to do it could prove cost ineffective for what we get, which is essentially just another ILS.

The PMDG 747-8 products would need the system implementation to its navigation equipment.

Nav data suppliers would have to accomodate, if they don't already. I'm pretty sure Navigraph nav data have the GLS approaches in their nav data.

scenery developers would have to implement a GLS at their airports. Or, someone clever can just piggy back exisiting ILS framework and copy it to make the scenery GLS able.

Brian Nellis

With australia getting rid of many of its ILS systems and other countries to follow.....though the US may end up doing what they did with their promised change to the metric system...it may be a needed developement if we are to fly published approaches.

Harry Woodrow

There are dozens and growing number of GLS approaches in the US, and there is not necessarily using a ground station as implied but is a special case of a GPS based approach where the airport is designed for such an application. As such, there is no modification to the aircraft other than the certification of the FMS and navigation system to be able to achieve the required navigation performance.  I've flown many GLS approaches in the NGX, but I'm not fond of flying RNAV(GPS) approaches in the B744 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the RNP0.10 or whatever it is that is required for GLS.  Even the NGX is only good for RNP0.3 but I still use it in the simulation.

I'd like to hear if there are other airborne equipment requirements for GLS other than what I surmised.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 minutes ago, downscc said:

I'd like to hear if there are other airborne equipment requirements for GLS other than what I surmised.

GBAS itself does actually require a ground station, and specialized avionics are required. Those ground stations don't need to be co-located at the airport. Depending on the area, you can place it in an optimal spot to cover a theoretical max of 48 airports/approaches, limited by the range and spread of the airports, of course.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/faq/laas/

Kyle Rodgers

Good info, thanks.  I guess I assumed that LAAS was involved and because that is not specific to an airport I let it slide.  Same as saying WAAS is required for ... fill in the blank.

Dan Downs KCRP