Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jock in a Frock

A380 verus 747 (pics)

Guest Binkles

The answer is easy.I look at the 747 - Christchurch has a new international gate where the 747 parks real close - they seem to send the Korean air 747 there, and I get to stand rather close and marvel at it's size, it's a thing of beauty. I can't imagine the day that I get to stand that close to the 380 (though I doubt that will happen now - I'm moving to Aussie).They are both great planes - huge objects that I marvel at everytime I see them take off (haven't seen the 380).Yet the 380 will have the same effect, the size, and the ability to take off - I don't think they've gotten this far without some difficulties - I would say the same happened with the 747. Airbus will solve these problems and this breath of fresh air will take to the sky.So I like them both - so shoot me - I don't buy into this A v B debate.Emotional? Well emotionally I am more attached to the 747 - I love her lines, and her grace, something I can't say about the 340 - it looks like every other plane - just bigger, and I have a horrible feeling I will think the same about the 380 - it isn't a distinct shape - it's still a tube.I can't say I've seen a plane I've hated, or didn't marvel at - ever since i went on a fokker friendship - but out of all the planes - I love the look of the bae-146 - always makes me think it's smiling at me :)Laurence

hello!i am NOT trolling, this was an excellent diagram of the beauty of these 2 queens its shows us the difference of the two and i thought id post here so to show you all, so its not a troll.rgdsTom if you need to delete it please do so, as i dont want this to end up with a 747 versus A380 debacle here.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

When PMDG releases their b747 I will fly that. If Wilco puts out a quality version of the a380 I will fly that too. If I could be PAX on either of those I would like to have the opportunity to fly on both. Diversity, thank God for it.Mike

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I hate all airplanes! So thereJeff USAF

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

>Ill go with the 747. She's proven herself, whereas Airbus has>not...747 has the classic contemporary style, while Airbus>seems too techno...747 carries a moderate amount of people,>while the A380 can carry 555...which means most airlines will>probably try to pack in around 600...>>Besides, the A380 looks like a gigantic sex toy ;)haha..

Guest wathomas777

The interesting concept will be how the 380 will compare with the 787 and the 747.While the A380 obviously carries more passengers cheaper, I think Airbus may have overlooked something extremely important.For instance, Delta, has one non-stop flight from Atlanta to Narita daily. It's a MD-11.If Delta buys a bunch of A380's, then if may feel pressured to fill em up. So, it then cancels some of the smaller heavies and then routes everyone through SFO, or JFK.The point is, bigger planes, mean less options for passengers. There is no doubt that the airlines (especially US carriers who are on the cusp of bankruptcy) will attempt to crowd as many people as it can into one flight to save on fuel, so as a result, it's highly unlikely that you will see the fancier Malls on Wings variants that have shown in concept art, with a US Livery.Boeing is betting that passengers will want more travel options. Thus it's marketing the smaller 787 line with hopes that it's fuel efficiency and long range will provide passengers with more travel options. It remains to be seen how that market plays out.The question is simply this. Not which is a better airplane, but which one will people fly? Will people choose an airline with a larger aircraft with fewer daily flights? or a smaller aircraft with more daily flights. The 747 had the advantage of the first real Jumbo jet capable of truly non-stop trans-pacific travel. The A380 does not have that advantage. Currently there are plenty of jets that can travel to Tokyo Non-Stop. Whereas the obvious fuel savings garnered by one BIG jet is evident on paper, the bigger question mark is how well will it "sit" with passengers. I for one, would rather have a flight straight from Atlanta to Narita in a smaller plane, than be fed to JFK or SFO to be concentrated on an A380.The Hub and Spoke arrangement in the US is none too popular with passengers, and the A380 will only exagerate this issue. But if I can get to Tokyo for $300 round trip, then being shuttled to JFK, ORD, or SFO may not be such a bad thing....We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.Where the A380 is best suited is for those smaller asian runs between Narita, Hong Kong and Singapore. In these areas (at the risk of being stereotypical, but my visits to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Bejing tend to point to this), the Asian population is usually smaller in stature and more accustomed to high density seating and sleeping arrangements, which is why I think the Asian airlines are responsible for a lions share of the presales of the Airbus. It's in the more "Western" cultures where we more value our "elbow room" that the A380 will have it's toughest sell.

Guest Paul Heaney

>I hate all airplanes! So there>>Jeff USAFYou also hate the southern hemisphere, because the seasons are backwards :(

I believe the A380 will become much like the Concorde but on a larger scale...a niche aircraft. First off, like the Concorde, the A380 is limited (abliet..for now) to only a few US, UE, Middle East and Asia airports. But lets focus on the US and UE. These aircraft cost a fortune to buy and will need to produce a good return for the airlines to show a profit. In other words, they need high dollar business class pax a full Y class as well. To get this they will need to operate the plane on high-density trunk routes. Now keeping this in mind, the airports in the US that can handle the A380 as well as being one of these large trunk routes are very small. LAX, SFO, JFK and MIA, ORD with possibly BOS (though I don't think BOS is A380 capable and ORD is not yet capable though they are working on it) are the only six cities that come to mind. I am not counting MEM in regards to FDX's order. Now as far as EU airports, EGLL, LFPG, EDDF and possibly EHAM are really the only big main airports that serve the airline alliances and will most likely see the bulk of A380 operations. So you one can see that this plane is a very niche type aircraft. Now compare that to the more point-to-point type plane that Boeing is going with, the 787. The 787 will be seen at many many more aiports than the A380.

Eric 

Airbus has said the a380 will include gift shops, bars, etc etc.. but did we ever think about how this will all stay in one place and from sliding all around? Or do they just plan to put it in a box somewhere that is super glued to the floor? :-PAlso, i have heard that airbus is thinking about a work out gym in the a380. Think of this.. Some one is lifting weights, or benching a couple of hundred pounds, this big a380 hits turbulance... next thing you know, the guy is on the ground un-concious from having weights hitting him on the head.The A380, still has to take flight and be approved, then airports need to prepare for this monster. Airports now arent 100% ready for something of this size. Also, so many airlines have placed orders for so many of these planes that have not even flown yet, that the orders placed now wont be complete untill 2020. Then im shure a few more orders will be placed. Sounds like airbus needs to get busy.Ill stick with boeing any day. :):-wave

Boarding for DC-10s and 747s across the Atlantic starts 60-90 minutes before departure.Boarding a sold out A380 with 800 seats (dense pack cattle carrier config) would take 3-4 hours.That's without the checkin time which would also be something horrendous, especially if it's a holiday charter with 90% of passengers inexperienced and having their passports and tickets inside their suitcases...

I never understood the scale of the A380 until seeing these shots... That wingspan is huge!Thanks for the post. As for me, I'd prefer the 767 on transcon or transatlantic, and the A340 on transpacific routes. The aviation buff in me wants to see an A380 up close and personal, but I don't think I'll ever fly in one. All those pax getting off of one plane at the same time? Imagine if one is diverted to an airport unprepared for 600 hungry jet lagged souls?-John

Having made roughly six tranatlantics last year, and one already this year on 747's and 777's, I can personally attest to the fact that they load a heck a lot faster than that. Bording time for the United 747 flight I took last month to Heathrow commenced at 30 minutes prior to departure. 45 minutes is not unusual, but it can be done quicker.

"Airbus has said the a380 will include gift shops, bars, etc etc.."When the 747 was released, Boeing showed shots of lounges, movie theaters, etc.... When I fly on 747's, all I see is seats and more seats. Then more seats again. Last flight on a 747, the lounge came to me. Somehow those coach seats don't seem so narrow after a beer or two.-John