Sign in to follow this  
Parping Couplet

Flight Simming - The Hobby That Always Under-Delivered - Until Now

Am I the only person on here who has never enjoyed this hobby more since fully switching over to P3D V4 from V3 when the NGX was made available for the new sim?

I've been in this hobby more years than I care to remember and, quite frankly, it has always under-delivered until now. The inability of computers to recreate a totally realistic flight experience in the years leading up to FSX and then the massive hassle that was living with the technical shortcomings of that, essentially abandoned, platform. Then the 32-bit limitations of the first three versions of P3D that, although each gave a better result than its predecessor, still couldn't provide an OOM-less virtual world.

And now, with the advent of V4 and increasing compatibility of more classic add-ons every few days, at last I'm in my sweet spot, knowing that any flight I instigate will be completed without question and in the most graphically stunning and stable environment.

This is truly the moment an always great hobby finally delivers on its promise.

Good news for simmers and for the flight sim industry. There's a great and exciting future ahead.

Bring it on!

• Upvote 11

Just now, Parping Couplet said:

Am I the only person on here who has never enjoyed this hobby more since fully switching over to P3D V4 from V3 when the NGX was made available for the new sim?

I've been in this hobby more years than I care to remember and, quite frankly, it has always under-delivered until now. The inability of computers to recreate a totally realistic flight experience in the years leading up to FSX and then the massive hassle that was living with the technical shortcomings of that, essentially abandoned platform. Then the 32-bit limitations of the first three versions of P3D that, although each gave a better result than its predecessor, still couldn't provide an OOM-less virtual world.

And now with V4 and increasing compatibility of classic add-ons every few days and at last I'm in my sweet spot, knowing that any flight I instigate will be completed without question and in the most graphically stunning and stable environment.

This is truly the moment an always great hobby finally delivers on its promise.

Good news for simmers and for the flight sim industry. There's a great and exciting future ahead.

Bring it on!

I couldn`t agree more. The flightsimming future looks bright!

• Upvote 1

Matej Stavanja

I've been on hiatus for about 3 years as I finally gave up and refused to invest in hardware supporting the 32-bit platform. But as soon as I heard the rumors of possible v4 and 64-bit, I started monitoring the community and it pulled me right back in. Some of the flights I've been taking within the last few weeks have been absolutely breathtaking in terms of the immersion. I will probably still whine about some things in the platform like the ATC and stuff, but overall the comeback have been strong with a decent amount of holy s**t in it. 

• Upvote 4

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I trimmed fsx steam to no ai traffic, autogen sparse, and other eye candy and could run the pmdg 777 and 747 on a long haul using all my addons. BUT I had to disable Orbx regions. In v4 I can enable everything. I am glad I moved up to P3D after v4 released. spent a lot of money lately though!

And think some day we might all look back at P3DV4 and say wow that sim while good for its day sure doesn't cut it anymore....just like FSX when it arrived on the scene and we moved from FS9.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Surely what we need is another poetic eulogy about P3Dv4 experiences from Carl Avari-Cooper:biggrin:

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I have been addicted to flight simulator since early 2000 and now I still look back once in a while, the pictures I took in Fs9 years ago still great joy to watch. Realistic 2D panel, wingflex, nose gear turning on ground. Animated jetways (Simflyer airports if you still remember, where are they now?). Meljet B777 and B747 with bunch of animations...so on and so on.

Such a long journey! What we have now is already beyond amazing.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

It's nice that we are seeing some movement and progression in flight simming recently. Whilst it's not quite exactly the same, it reminds me a bit of (20-30 years ago) when you had Microprose and Janes making all kinds of dedicated combat sims (seemed like there was a new one every week lol), and civil-aviation wise at that time you had Fly! Flight Unlimited, XPlane and MSFS, some of which started to see aircraft with FMC/CDUs and EFIS modelled, photorealistic terrain started showing up and PMDG knocked out their first aeroplane too. It was cool and exciting to be into flight sims: When I finally got a decent simulation of a DC-3 with some good scenery and mesh, I remember thinking, yup, now we're starting to get there.

With quite a few choices for civil sims now: FSX-SE, FSW, P3D and XPlane, plus more esoteric offerings such as TOH, Condor and Silent Wings for choppers and gliders, and with DCS taking on the role which Janes and Microprose used to fill for military sim fans, it's almost like being back in those flight-sim glory days at the moment. it's quite a contrast from only a few years back when MS dropped FS development and we were stuck with very few options. That was a real bummer of a time to be into flight sims.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Couldn't agree more I've never enjoyed the sim since 2000 more than now. If the boys at fsl ever release the 320 it will be the icing on the cake 🎂.   Then once aerosoft get that 330 out it Will be an awesome winter.  My only heartache is seeing people not willing to install it correctly then complaining it doesn't run.

I work 4 days on 4 days off and its the first time in 10 years I can do a my 4 days off flying without having to shout at ooms and ctds when I turn dome lights on.  

I can actually do a 10 hour virgin flight to Las Vegas and not worry about not getting there and wasting a day

As I type I'm current on finals to egkk using 4096 textures   orbx England,  full ai,  in the 747 x and no oom dings.  that would of been impossible in v3.4 

• Upvote 3

14ppkc-6.png

I have never been happier with flightsimming than I am now.  I say that periodically, but every time I say it, it's more true than the previous time - because it gets better and better.  The elimination of OOM's is huge....HUGE.  

Personally, I never had a OOM in V3.3.5 using SimStarter NG and moderate sim settings. V4 looks and "feels" better though.

While FSX sceneries and addons could be used more than 10 years, I doubt that this will be the case for V4. That would require a backward compatibility for V5, V6, etc... But we will see. I am excited too.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I haven't upgraded to v4 yet. Is it mainly the lack of OOMs and being able to turn the sliders up, or does it actually look and feel that much better?

• Upvote 1

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

8 minutes ago, thefrog said:

I haven't upgraded to v4 yet. Is it mainly the lack of OOMs and being able to turn the sliders up, or does it actually look and feel that much better?

I have v4 and switched back from XP11 for it.  But, it's really 64-bit FSX with some improvements that took place in the previous three versions.  If you didn't know that it was a new version and you made a short flight, you really couldn't see anything different on your screen(s).  That's not so bad; FSX was pretty good.  But, I hope to see some improvements in some basic things like ATC and other issues that haven't been touched since 2006.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

9 minutes ago, thefrog said:

Theres a good video by froggle about it.  The oom elimination element is HUGE and the main draw.  However you cannot move all those sliders to the right.  You have to remember it's fsx on steroids.  64 bit doesn't eliminate stutters and popping when the sliders on max, but it does eliminate Ooms,  thats the kicker.  You can do pan views till your hearts content and know it won't oom, ever 

14ppkc-6.png